Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passport photocopy??

Options
  • 12-09-2007 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

1st off I got to say this forum is excellent for people like myself looking for info on starting off on the road ,keep up the good work guys.

Quick question , applying for my 1st provisional license and can't get time off work to go to tax office with the forms so using our postal system instead .

Will a photocopy of passport do or will I have to send in the actually passport and assume ( and hope! ) that they send it back with the license?

Should take no more than 2 weeks right?

cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

okarm26 wrote:
    Will a photocopy of passport do or will I have to send in the actually passport and assume ( and hope! ) that they send it back with the license?
    Do you have a Birth Certificate that you could send instead? I realise that if you don't, you will have difficulty getting time off work to get one, so it's back to square one!

Personally, I wouldn't send my passport as it may get lost/stolen and you never know when you may have to leave the country in a hurry.

They will not accept a photocopy under any circumstances.
    okarm26 wrote:
    can't get time off work to go to tax office
    If at all possible, you should try to get to the MTO in person. (Could you say that you have a medical appointment? ;))
    okarm26 wrote:
    Should take no more than 2 weeks right?
    Yup, that's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

If I remember correctly, when I was getting my first provisional, I took my passport to the garda station and got them to sign the application form stating that I was who I said I was, and I didn't have to post my passport off anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Also, check the opening hours of your local motor tax office. Some of them (Ennis, for instance) open late on a Thursday and Friday, so if you're lucky, you might be able to visit the office without needing to take time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 okarm26

ahh sure i'm due a sick day!

Will pop into tax office so and sort it out ,can feel a bug coming on anyways, hahar.

cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

aniascor wrote:
    If I remember correctly, when I was getting my first provisional, I took my passport to the garda station and got them to sign the application form stating that I was who I said I was, and I didn't have to post my passport off anywhere.

That may have been before a whole lot of rules got thrown into the mix. That definitely won't work in Dublin.

You could use registered post or Q4U or something. The MTO (in Dublin) sends all passports back by registered post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The MTO (in Dublin) sends all passports back by registered post.
    That's good to know! :)

The Hustler - Do the staff at the MTO accept applications that are sent by registered post. I presume no one wants to be signing for loads of post.

(The reason I ask is that I regularly see some organisations requesting that registered mail is not used - presumably as signing for them is time-consuming)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Yeah, they often get some in by registered post when passports are involved. It's nothing compared to the amount of post overall so they don't have a problem with it.

Advertisement