Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Current insurer wont quote on a different car

Options
  • 12-09-2007 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive heard from numerous people before that your current insurer must quote you on another vehicle if you have en existing policy with them. Im not sure how true or false this is but I need to get my facts straight before ringing them to get a quote. Lets say the current car is a 1.6 mx3 and I want a quote on a 1.8 mx3 but they wont quote. What are my options and is there any law that someone can point to that states the must quote me?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

First of all tell us the following details:

License Type:

This could all factor in with that model of car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

An insurance company has to quote you afaik. Saying that they could give you an astronomical quote. Ring the IFSRA they should be able to help you. Phone 1890 77 77 77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

stevenk wrote:
    Hi,

Ive heard from numerous people before that your current insurer must quote you on another vehicle if you have en existing policy with them. Im not sure how true or false this is but I need to get my facts straight before ringing them to get a quote. Lets say the current car is a 1.6 mx3 and I want a quote on a 1.8 mx3 but they wont quote. What are my options and is there any law that someone can point to that states the must quote me?

Thanks
    Can you not just get your existing policy transferred over onto the new car and pay the extra? AFAIK they legally have to transfer it if you request it. I'm not 100% on this so open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jobonar wrote:
    Can you not just get your existing policy transferred over onto the new car and pay the extra? AFAIK they legally have to transfer it if you request it. I'm not 100% on this so open to correction.

Quinn Direct won't transfer if they don't like your new car.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Hey, there should be no reason why they wont insure you on an MX-3 V6 .. especially if youre already upgrading from a 1.6 MX.

Providing your not very young (ie below 20) and theres nothing dodgy about your driving history, they are fairly insurance friendly in comparison to say Hondas or the likes. I cant see them refusing to quote you on one TBH .. although with Insurance companies you never really know :rolleyes:

Fantatstic cars by the way! ;) ... I know because I have one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

not my details obviosly,
    24 female, provisional, 1 year ncb with quinn, i have no idea why they will quote her on 205 gti, or 1.6vtec civic and not a 1.8 mx-3.

One of my friends "claimed" (he is noted for being full of ****) that when he rang quinn to quote him on some 2litre turbo they refused, he then told them that they had to quote, it's the law, they quote 7 grand, he threatened to sue as it was an unreasonable quote, they then quoted 3,000. As i said, it's hard to know if he is telling the truth or not, so I cant try the same thing based on his word.

Ideas, or even better, can anyone point out the law the says they must quote?

A very much underrated car imo too ;)
    Looking for a 1.8 if she can get the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My broker will quote me on any car up until the renewal date, but have said that they will not cover me afterwards on certain cars. However, this is a group scheme, so perhaps they are entitled to stipulate these conditions.

They will definitely quote a 24 yr old on it. Dont go by what you have heard from mates and such, just ring up and ask or even go to the website enter the details and you should get a direct quote for it!

I cant imagine that they would give you a better quote on a 205gti or vtec civic and not quote you on the MX-3 though.

Oooh look heres one for sale! :p

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=26141&cat=2

yeah that one for sale was almost affordable at 2900, but why it went up to 3400 i dont know! ;)

The thing is, Im not making the phone call, Ive had rows with quinn before and eventually got what I wanted, but she's not like that, the website wont quote, and she wont ring without some kind of proof that they have to quote her.
    Hoping someone else had this kind situation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

stevenk wrote:
    not my details obviosly,
    24 female, provisional, 1 year ncb with quinn, i have no idea why they will quote her on 205 gti, or 1.6vtec civic and not a 1.8 mx-3.

One of my friends "claimed" (he is noted for being full of ****) that when he rang quinn to quote him on some 2litre turbo they refused, he then told them that they had to quote, it's the law, they quote 7 grand, he threatened to sue as it was an unreasonable quote, they then quoted 3,000. As i said, it's hard to know if he is telling the truth or not, so I cant try the same thing based on his word.

The reason she won't get it is in bold. The will only let you insure upto a certain BHP on a car on a provisional!! If they didn't have this in place then think of all the provisional drivers driving high powered cars!! ;) General rule of thumb is upto and including a 1.6 litre car!

Its also not a case of they MUST quote, its a case of you get three refusal letters from three different companies then you go back to refusal number 1 and they HAVE to quote you then!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stevenk wrote:
    not my details obviosly,

You can't sue over what's perceived to be an "unreasonable" quote. I think your friend is telling porky pies.

He talks too much **** so yeah, porkie pies, he did end up driving it though.

Must go a bhp comparison of the cars

Provisional??!! ... I overlooked that detail, - thats probably why then.

As said above, 99% of the time they will only insure max 1.6 on Provisional

Yeah, but there is some way of forcing them to insure, I was talking to a guy 2 or 3 weeks ago, he was with hibernian, he was 19 with provisional license, first had a 1.5 mx-3 and then went onto insure a 1.8 with them. He said they have to insure you. But again, not sure exactly how he pulled it off or what he said to them.

Just going through the IFSRA website now, looks good just need to decrypt the legal jargon stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Tehy are only obliged to qoute if you purchase the car. Obviously you should not do this as its probably illegal and insurance fruad etc but if you just ring them up and say you have bought the car and you want to know how much it will be to transfer it over. Then when they give you the qoute tell them you want to keep your policy on your current car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

rowanh wrote:
    Tehy are only obliged to qoute if you purchase the car. Obviously you should not do this as its probably illegal and insurance fruad etc but if you just ring them up and say you have bought the car and you want to know how much it will be to transfer it over. Then when they give you the qoute tell them you want to keep your policy on your current car.

Not sure what you mean here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not sure what you mean here? :confused:

I think he means to tell the insurance company that you want the existing policy changed to the new car, rather than starting a new policy - when you get the quote, then keep the existing policy and start a new one. Doubt that should make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Why not go down the named driver route? My missus is on a provisional and Hibernian didn't bat an eyelid when I put her on my policy as a named driver (2l turbo, 180bhp).

Quinn will quote me no bother, but wont with her as a named driver. Cant afford to switch insurer, quinn insure me for 750 quid, closest I could get anywhere else was double that.

For her it wouldnd be taking out a new policy, it would amending her current. Afaik they have give the quote, but I need this in writing (official)

stevenk wrote:
    Quinn will quote me no bother, but wont with her as a named driver. Cant afford to switch insurer, quinn insure me for 750 quid, closest I could get anywhere else was double that.

For her it wouldnd be taking out a new policy, it would amending her current. Afaik they have give the quote, but I need this in writing (official)

can i ask how old you are and how many NCB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

stevenk wrote:
    Afaik they have give the quote, but I need this in writing (official)
    I did a bit of digging on the Citizens Info website (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/), which is "official", and they say that insurance companies have a right to refuse cover, but must give a reason. You can appeal it to the Declined Cases Committee. See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_insurance

The Irish Insurance Federation have a bit more detail here...
    The Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote. It is therefore important that the proposer keeps a careful note of the order in which he/she approached each of the three companies.

So basically any insurance company can tell you to fuc& off as long as they have a reason ("we don't insure L drivers in 1.8l cars" would seem to be a good enough reason), but eventually you'll get covered after you jump through hoops, but even then there's nothing to stop the quoting insurer looking for a stupid premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had a similar situation with quinn when I changed car a few years ago. Had the missus (provisional license) named on the old car, first they said they couldn't quote (hadn't bought the car at that point) so I was just going to take her off since she had her own car anyway. When I rang back the morning I was collecting the car to do the transfer, they said they could do it because I had already bought the car, didn't cost any extra either. Whole different ball game at renewal time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

On that note, how come the insurance crowds don't distinguish between 1.9 TDI TDI ,TDI and TDI:)

I only said TDI and they didn't care what the power output of the engine was.

C_Breeze: 23, full license, 1 years no claims atm, tpft on a diesel, you?
    alias no.9: I had a similar issue when renewing with quinn 3 months ago, it was such total horsecrap i dont even remember it, and then again when I moved to cork soon after, they wanted to charge me an extra 300 on a 1000 euro policy, needless to say i cancelled the policy and renewed online with them for 750.
    craichoe: i dont know

TychoCaine: Exactly what I needed, thanks, Ill be going through that site more after work

Advertisement