Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Hibernia course and working at same time - please advise!

• 12-09-2007 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I wish to apply for the Grad diploma in primary education next year and ive given myself a year to get my irish up to scratch and of course to save money to support me while i do it (if im lucky enough to get into Pats).
    I have a good job at the mo but have never been much of a saver so Id have to save every single penny from now til then and may still be short to cover fees, acomodation and living expenses.I was thinking i may be better off doing the online Hibernia course and temping or subbing when needs be to keep me going .Is this a good plan or is the course so demanding that its not possible to also work?. Also how did others survive the 18 months while no longer having the regular income?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I know lots of people who worked full time (not subbing) and did this course. Getting the 14 weeks off for TP was the difficult bit. It is tough but it is possible.
    For any more questions on this course I recommend you use the following site:
    http://www.educationposts.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=8

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I subbed for the 18 months of Hibernia. It gave me enough (just!) to pay the bills. A lot people in my course worked in their normal jobs for as long as possible and then went subbing as soon as the heat was on in terms of getting time off for teaching practices.

Its a very very demanding course, and will take up a whole lot of time. I know I put as much work if not more into Hibernia as I did in my last 2 years of my BSc. Doing it at night and at weekends is very hard.. but hugely rewarding. Getting sub work during the course also makes a lot of the studying very relevent and means that by TP time, the nerves will be gone out of stading up in front of a large group.

As I said, nearly all of the people in my course managed perfectly well, but with a lot of emotional, financial and practical support from family/friends.

Advertisement