Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Range Extension With a Netopia 2247 Router

• 12-09-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I use a Netopia 2247 provided by Eircom as a wireless router. It works well with all the computers, gaming machines, apple tv etc in the house. My problem is that I have one dead spot and it happens to be in the room that I want to locate my beautiful new iMac. When purchasing the computer I also bought an Airport Express with the intention of using it to act as a range extender with the Netopia as the base router - the sales guy at Apple told me it would work!! Unfortunately it either doesn't work or it is very difficult to achieve as I have been trying searching all over the web for hints and using both Apple and Netopia tech support but no solution so far. Can anyone confirm that it will not work or does anyone know how to make it work?

If I can't get it to work, what are my alternatives? Has anyone managed to make wireless range extension work with the netopia 2247 and if so what extender did you use and are the results good? Another possibility is to use one of the plug in solutions that enable you to send ethernet signals over the electical network. There is one on offer in Maplin for about €140. Do these work well?

Lots of questions, I know. All views, recommendations and advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think the problem with extending a network with the airport express is that it would need the netopia to be compatible and as far as I know it is not compatible. It is a pity that you did not buy the Aiport extreme - you could have put the netopia into bridge mode and used the extreme for the wireless functions - the extreme is 'n' compatible as is the new imac and that in itself might be enough to cover the dead spot. (although having 'g' stuff in the network at the same time would drag the network back to 'g' standards.

Alternatively you could still buy the aiport extreme and it can definitely be set up for use with the airport express and use it in 'g' mode to extend the range of the network.

I have used it this way and it gives excellent coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Joe D'Arcy

Thanks Dub45
    Great minds think alike!! I came to the conclusion that I may as well get an Extreme because the alternatives I was considering would cost between €120 and €145 and since I already had an Express it would give me a complet Apple system, using the Netopia as an ADSL modem - a much more elegant solution.
    One question. Should I switch off the wireless on the Netopia or does it make any difference?

Joe D'Arcy wrote:
    Thanks Dub45
    Great minds think alike!! I came to the conclusion that I may as well get an Extreme because the alternatives I was considering would cost between €120 and €145 and since I already had an Express it would give me a complet Apple system, using the Netopia as an ADSL modem - a much more elegant solution.
    One question. Should I switch off the wireless on the Netopia or does it make any difference?

Yes turn off the wireless and put the Netopia into bridge mode otherwise you have a duplication of routing functions and chaos! The netopia then acts simply as a modem as you suggest. Make sure and turn on the option in the express to allow it to act as a network extender (also make sure and get the new gigab version of the Extreme in case you might get offered the older version which might be in stock still).

Only problem with the express as I mentioned earlier is dragging the wireless network down to 'g' standard.

Thanks for the advise. If I don't have to use the Express because the Extreme resolves the dead spot problem will PC's and gaming machines on the network drag it down to 'g' level or is it just putting the Express into the loop that causes this to happen?

Its a fact of life with all wireless stuff - if you put a 'b' capable item into a 'g' network it drags it down so any 'g' stuff will drag your 'n' stuff down. However I think the 'N' wireless router seem to have a greater range anyways so even that part may help you.

• Advertisement

Thought so. Thanks for the help. Will let you know how I get on. Should get the Extreme on Monday at the latest

dub45, The extreme worked like a dream!!! It solved the dead spot problem so no need to use the express as a range extender. Also means that I can have an 'n' network when the kids aren't on their 'g' PC. I couldn't secure the network though. It's not a big issue as our house is out in the sticks and I can't see anyone pulling up at the side of our road and using it. When I get time I will have a play with the settings and see if I can get it to work.

Advertisement