Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compsoc

• 12-09-2007 11:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

When is compsoc back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

compsoc returns for a special gamers nite on mon for the old skool crew, free to attend, we will also be previewing the copsoc promo in the 5.30 in the large lecture theatre, if you want to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we should also discuss what we want to do this year - what games and stuff; and whether compsoc should represent technical support too: for example any member could avail of technical help with any machine they bring in - theres a lotta noob accountants out there :)

that was also what i was hoping to do in the large lecture theatre on mon nite, ok with everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Mostly CS:S being played up there still ye?

Mostly CS:S being played up there still ye?
    well yeah, but trying to move away from that this, that what usually kills the soc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CS:S is the win! although some bf2 is fun.

ET:QW would be awesome but im pretty sure the pc's in 307 would die at the mere thought of running it.

also what version of CSS do you have? i have a cracked version which has the new radar and updated de_train etc.

KamiKazi wrote:
    CS:S is the win! although some bf2 is fun.

ET:QW would be awesome but im pretty sure the pc's in 307 would die at the mere thought of running it.

also what version of CSS do you have? i have a cracked version which has the new radar and updated de_train etc.
    who mentioned 307, its always been 211!!stop being old skool man!!
    i dont know exactly but i will find out later on today, show me it if you get a chance!

My god, lets get away from CS:S. Fun though it may be to stare your opponent in the face as you frag his miserable ass, it attracts only about 20% of the compsoc memberlist - people want to multiplayer on games maybe theyve never tried or that require good communication, such as Battlefield 2.

Unfortunately though the machines wont be running much of anything newer than that - BF 2142 is possible but we require an updated crack (the one we got at the games launch was utterly ****e) and Supreme Commander for example, will run on the machines but only barely.

So far the games I would include are

CS:S
    BF 2
    BF 2142
    BF Vietnam
    AoE II/III
    Dawn of War

I'd also like to organise a file full of useful applications people can take home with them for their machines - theres loads of free stuff that can prove very useful - I shant bore you with an exhaustive list however; stuff like DaemonTools obviously but other stuff like BootCD and Performance Improving applications.

well thats basicly the games list for mext week, we will discuss it all in more detail on monday night. if your not there your voice wont be heard for the coming year!!
    just kidding but the bulk of ideas that i will be rolling out this year will be at that meeting

Is it one room or two this year?

• Advertisement

its definitely two rooms looking for a third just in case. a210/a211 and the third is tbc. but moonday night it will porbably be only a210

makes sense since you have to wait till soc's day until the crowd comes. Out of interest what do have in mind for keeping people interested?
    I know I lost interest fairly quickly myself last year.

a wider variety of games, talks, and maybe in the coming months, new servers....thats only a plan not a promise

A tounry or two would go a long way. Maybe 4 teams of 8, or 6 of 6, for BF2. 4 Is too small unless you get talking about CSS or RTSs.

or a league.

we tried that 2 years ago in CSS, sounded good until have the players didnt turn up so teams were missing players :o

the only way to do it would be to do it in 1 night, so lets say 3 hours of compsoc, 45 mins per game, so a max of 8 teams.

lynch_3001 wrote:
    a wider variety of games, talks, and maybe in the coming months, new servers....thats only a plan not a promise

Explain what you mean by talks. The idea was to get people to keep coming back not scare them away.

Tourneys sounds like a good idea though I'd be up for that if I was about. Definelty would have to be a one night thing though, far too much hassle trying to run it over the course of a couple of nights.

Not true: it can be done. Just set up a league then - people either show up or they dont.

Try for starters an individuals league and then all we have to set up and monitor /record is the endround scoreboard. Rules and regulations can follow.

well if i devise a way tomorrow and present it to you guys on monday, see what ya say.
    we i will post an agenda on sunday, for what we are going to talk about. if you want to talk about anything else, post it up sun/mon...kk? sound fair enough

You still haven't described what you mean by talks.

talks-information via a lecture.
    i may have to cancel tonight cos the admins havent reactivated the accounts yet............. so if that not up i cant do anything!! i will keep you informed but i have nothing by about 3 i will cancel.... i you ned me to text you to keep you up to date, send me a pm

• Advertisement

i dont know whats going on! noone in the computer department will givee me an answer!

just tell them if they dont sort it out that you will [PoshEnglishAccent] Give them a jolly good seeing to.[/PoshEnglishAccent]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol remember that last time when sum1 threatened sum sort anal intrusion to one of the techies, and then when he went up to the techies, the techie was all like "oh so ur <username> eh? hows about some of that bum lovin action?"

ps in case u couldnt tell from that, i meant the techies read boards.

The_B_Man wrote:
    lol remember that last time when sum1 threatened sum sort anal intrusion to one of the techies, and then when he went up to the techies, the techie was all like "oh so ur <username> eh? hows about some of that bum lovin action?"

ps in case u couldnt tell from that, i meant the techies read boards.
    ROFL

I'm sure the tech guys have a lot more to be doing than setting up gaming accounts tbh, it is the start of the year after all.

well, i emailed fergal middle of last week and he said he would do it, as soon as he could, and im still waiting......!!how bout we reschedule for wednesday?

dont reschedule/make any plans till you are sure the accounts will be made.

well i think the problem was that i only registered myself today! so i think it can be setup as the compsoc and compsoci accounts are linked to my account directly

KamiKazi wrote:
    dont reschedule/make any plans till you are sure the accounts will be made.

Precisely, its a long year and soc's don't usually start till after the soc day anyway.

• Advertisement

well all you guys have been annoying me!!

lynch_3001 wrote:
    well all you guys have been annoying me!!

Well tbh people arent going to agree with everything you say. I have to say your idea of 'talks' or lectures as you called them isnt going to be an attraction.
    Even though I've asked you about them you havent replied in any detail.
    lynch_3001 wrote:
    talks-information via a lecture.

Thats hardly an apt description of what you mean, I know what a talk is. I wanted to know why and how you are going to use talks to keep interest in a gaming soc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I think his point, and its brought even more home with the end of netsoc, is that compsoc isnt a gaming society. Its a computer society that happens to play games.

And I doubt there will be anyone at these lectures (should they go ahead :p) forcing you to be there.

i thank ivan for making my point heard. its computing society,not computer gaming society in the light of the college. we the death of netsoc (r.i.p bitbucket), there is a big gap in the market, that people want filled, not even within the college but even graduates outside. i have received emails from ppl offer their services for this, which if they read this, thanks!!

the talks will cover, intro to computing to Linux-intro and cheat codes, i will also accept any ideas that you would like to see. if anyone wishes to offer their services as well i would appreciate it. also any ideas you have can be discussed when we have our first meeting( hopefully tomorrow night, definitely by next week, even if it is after clubs and socs day).they may also be posted here if you cant attend please pass the word around! compsoc needs members!

Point taken. ;)

so how do you plan to integrate a bunch of gamers into the rest without completely alienating them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Simple, lectures are on at X time on Y date, gaming is on at the usual time Z.

Pick what you want out of the society, but dont expect it to just cater to your tastes.

again, thank you ivan for explaining that, although you cant expect the society to cater to your every need i am trying to integrate as much so its catering to the broad spectrum of the members.

we will have it on tonight starting in a102 or that area then continueing up to a211, this will all kick off at about 5:30

lynch_3001 wrote:
    again, thank you ivan for explaining that, although you cant expect the society to cater to your every need i am trying to integrate as much so its catering to the broad spectrum of the members.

If you arent making sandwhiches, I'm outta here :)

sorry not 5:30 just 5

• Advertisement

when is soc day?

next wed. i was told

n1, so im guessing there'll be compsoc from then on?

course

so is it on today or next monday?

tonight AND next monday! a211/210 5pm onwards

yeah i went down but im really not interested in bf vietnam :cool:

bring on CSS!

ok ok css next week

lynch_3001 wrote:
    ok ok css next week

n1, which version of css do u have?

We need GUN GAME

-Kinfe Pro: ON
    -Deathmatch: ON
    -Reverse Order!
    -TURBO MODE!!!!

TEXTURE MAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmmmmmmyeah.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement