Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROVER 25 1.4 is - Advice needed

Options
  • 12-09-2007 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi, Im thinking of buying a 00 version of this car but have heard mixed opinions on reliability etc. Can anyone offer me any advise on this type of car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know that they are prone to head gasket failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

crosstownk wrote:
    I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know that they are prone to head gasket failure.

Personally know of 2 people whose 1.4 K series engine had head gasket failure so it must be a very common fault. One of them had only 40k miles on it.

Any one any ideas on parts availability now Rover are no longer around. Theres some very cheap diesel 75's knocking around

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

furtzy wrote:
    Theres some very cheap diesel 75's knocking around

I think that engine is a de-tuned BMW 320d engine - also in one of the soccer-mom SUVs I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

eoin_s wrote:
    I think that engine is a de-tuned BMW 320d engine - also in one of the soccer-mom SUVs I think.

Thats the one. Could equal some very cheap comfortable motoring. Mate of mine looking for this at the moment but I wasn't sure of parts availabilty the rest of the car sonce Rovers demise

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

furtzy wrote:
    Thats the one. Could equal some very cheap comfortable motoring. Mate of mine looking for this at the moment but I wasn't sure of parts availabilty the rest of the car sonce Rovers demise

Could be a good buy alright. I haven't heard of people having difficulty sourcing parts since they went under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good diesel Rover 75s are hard to find and when you do find one they still command decent money compared to petrol models. Everyone and their mother now knows they have a BMW engine (be it detuned) so demand is strong. Best bet is to source one in the UK.

Back on topic. The Rover K Series petrol engines (1.1, 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0) are very prone to head gasket failure as already mentioned due to a poorly designed coolant system. Engine fluids need to be topped up regularly. If the car which the OP is looking has been looked after very well and the previous owner topped up the fluids on a regularly basis then you could get yourself a bargin. Unfortunately as with most owners (Irish anyways) they tend to not look under the bonnet that much and usually drive the car until it dies. In most cases Rovers are very unforgiving in this matter.

So the thing here is to buy one very cheap with a FSH and one that the previous owner gave plenty of TCL to. Happy hunting.

Regarding parts, lots of parts still being made and supplied in the UK for Rover/MG.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

have rover 45 meself always giving bother tryin to get rid of it parts are very hard to find and end up being expensive have had the car for year and have spent over a grand getting everything fixed etc. avoid them if u want to save money only my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Hey Dudes,

Well I had a 98' 416 saloon in silver and it was a beautiful car I have to say. When I bought the car the owner told me the car just had a new head gasket put in so I was happy enough it wouldnt go again soon. However
    shortly after I got it the engine started making a knocking noise (bottom end knocking noise) which is the next prone thing other then the head gaskets.
    Bottom end knocking leads to a new engine eventually just to let you know.
    Honestly if you buy one with a bloody good service history they are very comfy cars indeed, they feel alot more expensive then they actually are.
    Make sure you listen for tapping knocking noises from engine and when the engine is warm that it idles properly.

Herea a summary of k series engine problems:

Infamous Headgasket probems usually happen under 60k...
    IACV Valves are prone to failure resulting in cutting out...
    Weak bottom ends resulting in engine chewing itself up...
    Tappets are dodgy and noisy without frequent oil changes...

Take Care,

Timmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The coolant in the K series engines needs to be kept in good condition. Top ups should be with propper coolant not tap water. The coolant has a corrosion inhibitor that looses its properties over time so needs to be drained and replaced as per the workshop manual. My sister has a '96 214i for the last 5 years with no problems, except the wiper motor and the RC key fob...OK a few problems.

Advertisement