Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyBet World Grand Prix All-Ireland Qualifiers

• 12-09-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Are there many of you heading to this on Sunday?
    From planetdarts.tv:
    A record number of players from Ireland and Northern Ireland will be looking to win a place in the 2007 SkyBet World Grand Prix this Sunday.

A total of 549 players from across the island have entered the All-Ireland Qualifiers at the Citywest Hotel, which will take place this weekend.

Four players will win a place in next month's World Grand Prix, with a minimum prize of £2,500 for the qualifiers and the chance to pick up the £50,000 winner's cheque.

Last year, Anto McCracken, Garrett Gray, Geoffrey Matthews and Paul Watton came through the All-Ireland Qualifiers to appear in the tournament.

McCracken won 2-1 against Mark Walsh in the first round, before losing to Bob Anderson in the last 16.

"It is tremendous to see such a response from players over the Irish Sea for this event," said PDC Chief Executive Tim Darby.

"We have been keen over recent years to give Irish players a chance to grace the stage at the Citywest Hotel, and players like John MaGowan and Anto McCracken have risen to the challenge.

"There is so much quality and experience throughout the field and we wish every player the best of luck.

"Great credit must go to Michael O'Sullivan for his hard work in assisting organising this event and co-ordinating our entries in Ireland and Northern Ireland."

Included in the competitors is Mick McGowan, currently the top-ranked Irish player in the PDC Order of Merit who only missed out on an automatic place in the tournament by two places.

John MaGowan, Owen Caffrey, Geoff Wylie, Ian Branks, Anto McCracken, Garrett Gray and Brendan Dolan will join McGowan as seeds for Sunday's qualifier.

Dolan previously qualified in 2004, while MaGowan was a quarter-finalist two years ago.

SkyBet World Grand Prix All-Ireland Qualifiers - Seedings
    1. Mick McGowan
    2. John MaGowan
    3. Owen Caffrey
    4. Geoff Wylie
    5. Ian Branks
    6. Anto McCracken
    7. Garrett Gray
    8. Brendan Dolan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I will be giving it a go but I have no chance of qualifying, it's more for the experience than anything else. I will be away for the tournament anyway although if I get through I might just have to postpone my travelling. :D

Would love to play one of the better Irish players. How well do you think you can do Carrickman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Don't know depends on the form so better notstay out late on Saturday!! We are getting a bus from the Black Horse in Inchicore at 10.30am on Sunday so will be out in good time to get a bit of practice, depends on the draw also meeting one of the seeded players in the first round would be a tough one (met NI international last year who beat me well), the best I ever done at this was winning 3 games 3 years ago. Whoever goes through will well deserve it with that amount of entry’s!! Saying that I would say about 450-500 will turn up if nothing changed!

On the subject of the seeded players Mick McGowan was poor again in Castlebar seems to have lost his form, I beat Ian Banks 5-2 in Castlebar he would want to improve a lot to go through the rest of the seeds would be in with a chance but it’s as they say all on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nirelandblue

Just wondering lads if you are able to go up and watch this

Yeah free admission starts at 12pm sharp and when they say sharp they mean sharp!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mick McGowan's form is very disappointing. This time last year he was playing as well as anyone in the Top 8 (bar Barney and Taylor) in the PDC. Gave Taylor a very good game in the World Championships - but since then has been poor.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a reason for the slump?

It could be pure coincidence, but his slump does coincide with him getting the sponsorship from Unicorn. Could it be the added pressure is too much? Could it be that he changed to Unicorn darts and hasnt been able to get comfortable with them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It could be pure coincidence, but his slump does coincide with him getting the sponsorship from Unicorn. Could it be the added pressure is too much? Could it be that he changed to Unicorn darts and hasnt been able to get comfortable with them?

I don't think it's a coincidence. Personally I think it must have something to do with the darts although surely he got them made to the same specs that he had his old darts. There does seem to be added pressure on him because since he put up that display against Taylor everyone knows that he is a good player, I don't think that can be used as an excuse though because if he was that good he should be able to deal with that pressure.

I hate using the dreaded D word but could it be a slight case of dartitus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I wanted to enter the qualifiers myself but seemed to have spared myself the embaressment!!

Anyways, those of you trying your best in Citywest tomorrow, the best of Luck!!
    I'll be at the main event definitely for the Friday 1/4 finals, and maybe the saturday and/or sunday. Hopefully it'll be one of you's im cheering on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nirelandblue

I think i will take a trip up this morning to watch this one.I think it should be good

From planetdarts.tv:
    JAMES KEOGH, John Elder, Jason Barry and Billy Matthews have won places in the SkyBet World Grand Prix at the All-Ireland Qualifiers.

The quartet came through a record field of 549 players at the Citywest Hotel, Dublin to secure their spots in next month's tournament.

Keogh, 30, made his first appearance in a major PDC event at the Blue Square UK Open in June, losing to Scott Mitchell at Bolton.

He will be joined by Jason "Jacko" Barry, John Elder and Billy Matthews - a former Ireland international who has recently returned from retirement.

Barry's qualification made amends for his defeat to Paul Watton in last year's deciding game, this time overcoming 2004 qualifier Brendan Dolan 6-5 in a tight game.

There was disappointment for all eight seeded players, headed by top-ranked Irishman Mick McGowan and 2005 World Grand Prix quarter-finalist John MaGowan, who lost to Northern Ireland international Elder in the decider.

The quartet join the PDC's top 24 players and four PDPA Qualifiers in the draw for the tournament, with next weekend's Welsh Players Championship being the final event on the Pro Tour for PDPA members to jump into the top four non-qualified players in the Players Championship Order of Merit.

SkyBet World Grand Prix All-Ireland Qualifiers
    Last 16
    Jason Barry 4-3 Ian Dobson
    Brendan Dolan 4-2 Peter Quinn
    Brian Cathcart 4-2 Noel Redmond
    James Keogh 4-0 Ray Farrell
    John MaGowan 4-3 Mick Barry
    John Elder 4-3 Shane O'Connor
    Billy Matthews 4-2 John Burke
    Mervyn Robinson 4-2 Eamonn McGovern

Last Eight
    Jason Barry 6-5 Brendan Dolan
    James Keogh 6-3 Brian Cathcart
    John Elder 6-4 John MaGowan
    Billy Matthews 6-5 Mervyn Robinson

Tickets for the SkyBet World Grand Prix are still available - call 00353 1 401 0505 or e-mail darts07@citywesthotel.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anyone going to share the experience of how they got on?

Was the double-start format used?

• Advertisement

The double start was used in the final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Howya Carrickman is there anywhere on the net that i could find all the results of the All Ireland Qualifiers???

Don't think so but I will ask Michael O'Sullivan to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Cheers mate..........a few lads out of my local entered and i was wondering how they got on.

This is not going ahead this year and it looks like it will never be held again, the top four ranked Irish PDC players now quallify for the Grand Prix, after last years record turnout it is very dissapointing as this was a great day out, the Irish Matchplay Tournment is being run to sort of make up for it.

Yeah it's a bit annoying alright. Not that would have any chance of qualifying but played in this last year and it was good fun and good experience. The one good thing the PDC have done is given Ireland a qualifying spot for the World Championships so we can all try and qualify for that instead :D

This is not going down well with players in this area anyway who went to this every year (I was talking to a few mates in Dublin and they are not happy also), I believe that some of the players that got this scraped would not be where they are today only for it and Ireland would not have as many top dart players only for it!!

One of my mates was only two wins away from the TV rounds last year so just because players haven't time or the sponcership to go to all the PDC tournments is it right to deny them a chance to quallify fot Grand Prix?

It is a sad loss that this has happened and it is a pity as was great day out.

Rant over!!

Advertisement