Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re. Ramadan and fasting

• 12-09-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

The following was posted on another forum I use, and I was wondering what your response would be. I understand that individual Muslims do not speak for all of Islam, but I am interested in the perspective of Muslims who observe their religion in western countries:
    I work in an office of 12 people, 1 of which is Muslim.

We are usually allowed to eat, drink etc at our desks. We have been asked by the boss that during this time [Ramadan] we should not eat in the office but take our breaks to the staff room.

This is not an issue of health and safety rules, because the manager has said it will only be for the month of Ramadan. My own opinion is that as long as the non-Muslim staff realise the significance of the period and are discrete in their consumption [(i.e. don't keep offering food to their colleague or keep talking about food to wind him up) then they're eating in the office shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you in advance, and a happy and peaceful Ramadan to you all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

I work with about 10 non_muslims in the office, they did not change any rules about drinking and eating it was ok for me

At the end Ramadan is not just to stop eating and drinking; i.e. I do not spend my time in Ramadan thinking about food; and so talking about food or seeing someone else eating should not affect me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't see any reason for them to change the rules. Did the guy even ask for the rules to be changed? If he did, its a bit much, what other people do is really none of the guys business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

I work with 20+ non-Muslim colleagues, and do not want or expect that they should be asked to change their eating habits just because I am fasting. I mean really, it would be hard to think of a more efficient way to stir up resentment against Muslims than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It sounds like someone just trying to be a bit too "aware" and right on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'd say most people where I work would have no idea it's Ramadan, doing something like the above could make some people start making jokes about how great the food is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thank you all.

Advertisement