Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems to getting tougher

• 12-09-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi People..is it me or is it to be expected?

I have been following the HH novice programme 2. Have been doing all the training, rests & some crossover training as per schedule. Up to 18 miles at the moment.
    Problems are:
    1) Is that I really struggle on the shorter runs during the week, feel like giving up after 2 miles....
    2) Do my short runs during the evening, drink about 3-4.5 litres of water a day but wake up in the morning like I was out on a heavy drinking session, dying.
    3) Heart and lungs are strong during long runs but body is really sore towards the end of long runs, unusual places like hips, inside groin,balls of the feet never prone to this before.
    4) Really liked training and running at the start of the schedule but really finding it a chore now....have tried different locations,speed training, cross trail but still feeling flat

On the plus side.....ran last week and another jogger joined me, never tried or wanted to talk whilst running because it was previously impossible..on this occasion we conversed for 60 mins during our run...I was impressed.

I know that at this stage 90% of my running is in my head and 10% is the physical act of running. I know that I have come a long way since the start and the longest I had ever run was 6 miles previously and now I consider 13-15 miles a short distance and look forward to this.

Any feed back appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

SharkTale wrote:
    is it me or is it to be expected?

To be expected unfortunately.

I used to find a short 5 miler the day after a really long run almost tougher than the long run itself. The benefits were great. I took it very easy and it loosened the legs and worked out any lactic acid that remained, preparing me for the next run, but it was always hard work getting through it.

I don't know if this comes recommended by anybody but I began eating extra portions of protein-high foods after long runs. I know it's good for muscle building and I figured since long runs were damaging, as well as building, leg muscles, something was needed to help them out. Didn't go for protein shakes or anything but apart from the usual chicken dishes, etc, I started buying redskin peanuts from Dunnes. They come pre-shelled in a decent sized bag available in the fruit and veg section for about 1.60 or something. I wouldn't eat a whole packet in one sitting, maybe 1 packet a week, but I'm hooked on them now and the legs seem to recover quicker after the long runs.

All I can say about not enjoying the running now is to concentrate more on what you are about to achieve rather than the pain you're putting yourself through every week. It'll be worth it. Upon completion of the marathon you'll look back at all the early mornings, the long runs, the discomfort, the diet and lifestyle changes and agree that every bit of it was worth doing.

Keep up the good work, there's not that long to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

Really sounds like you need to push up the percentage of high quality carbs in your diet - brown bread, porridge, rice. You're burning a huge amount of calories right now and it's definitely not the time for a diet! Also ditto what Clum said about protein and I recommend trying to use a recovery drink as well as something like power blocks or Accelerade during and after your weekly long run.

Also, at this point usually an extra hour's sleep/night is needed when you hit above 40 miles/week in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Shark Tale,

Your not the only one suffering. I am training for New York and I'm experiencing a lot of what your going through. As the others have said make sure your diet contains mostly carbs and protein i.e brown rice, pasta, cereal, bread for the carbs and fish (Tuna, salmon, sardines, mackeral etc) and meat such as chicken/turkey/steak for the protein and drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated. I also take a multivitamin and berocca every day I and ensure I eat 5 portions of fruit and veg daily aswell as using Flax seed oil in my pasta and rice. Thats the diet I was recommended for a runner. You may want to as was already suggested get more sleep at night especially going to bed before 12 each night because I was told thats the best time for proper recovery to take place. If you can try having a short nap i.e half an hour in the afternoon. I try to this at lunch time from work. It will be worth it in the end when you cross that finish line and know that you have acheived something that not very many people get to do. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Oh yeah, obviously I've been carb loading and eating extra too. Just thought the redskin nuts were a useful extra....a handy high protein snack in between meals that helps the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Thanks for your help on this.....and all the feed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Shark Tale,

Just one more thing I forgot to mention is that you should get regular sport messages every 2 -3 weeks during training. It helps get rid of all the scar tissue and reduces the likelihood of injury. Also the physiotherapist I see that gives message also shows you how to properly stretch.

Advertisement