Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm a BIG GIBBERING idiot here!.

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mairt wrote:
    Oh he's off the leash alright!.

This is all tinged with a little sadness with the news that a young junior-certer in the area took her life this morning.

thats awful, it puts it all into perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Mairt wrote:
    This is all tinged with a little sadness with the news that a young junior-certer in the area took her life this morning.

:(

where did it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Mairt wrote:

Congrats to your son! :D

That is so sad, it's horrible to think that someone with their whole life ahead of them thinks things are so awful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cance wrote:
    :(

where did it happen?

Howth Junction, there's a separate thread about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Mairt wrote:

I'm curious, what's your interpretation of "off the leash" ? Surely not going into town on the lash with his mates or off knacker drinking in some park ? Or am just getting old, at that age it's one thing having a pint with your da and another going out on your own !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I'm curious, what's your interpretation of "off the leash" ? Surely not going into town on the lash with his mates or off knacker drinking in some park ? Or am just getting old, at that age it's one thing having a pint with your da and another going out on your own !

just bring in to yore' ma's for a shandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

irishbird wrote:
    just bring in to yore' ma's for a shandy

I already stuck a notice up there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

do you remember the junior cert?
    Junior Cert? anyone who has done it is still a youngster!

'Inter' FTW! :D
    dame wrote:
    they now examine subjects like religion, CSP, etc.
    Excuse my ignorance - CSP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Excuse my ignorance - CSP?
    Should be CSPE. It's a mandatory course of pro-democratic waffle. It's also a common level subject and one can't get an honour in it, contrary to a lot of students understanding. For this reason, I believe the OP's son only actually got 10 honours.

And in any case, no one says "I got X amount of honours" anymore. An honour means fúck all. I mean someone could get 11 Cs in HL subjects and claim to have gotten 11 honours, but it wouldn't exactly be a good result.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Should be CSPE. It's a mandatory course of pro-democratic waffle. It's also a common level subject and one can't get an honour in it, contrary to a lot of students understanding. For this reason, I believe the OP's son only actually got 10 honours.

And in any case, no one says "I got X amount of honours" anymore. An honour means fúck all. I mean someone could get 11 Cs in HL subjects and claim to have gotten 11 honours, but it wouldn't exactly be a good result.

Dammit Einstein I'll burst the lying little bollox now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Major congrats to your son - you must both be so relieved! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

I can't decide if I'm surprised by the amount of posts basically saying big deal,so what,means nothing...but then, this is after hours :rolleyes:

Congratulations to your son and family Mairt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

but... it does mean next to nothing, like the next town over...

Its a good idication of potential at an early stage for the parents, but in the grand scheme of school/college/work doesnt matter too much.

Congrats Mairt, be proud!

I vaguely remember spending my JC night in the Plex coolock, oh those were the days... oh hang on... no they were crap!!! :P

And just for the record... yer a big sissy! :'(

and i'll probably be the same way when my time comes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Gaijin wrote:
    I can't decide if I'm surprised by the amount of posts basically saying big deal,so what,means nothing...but then, this is after hours :rolleyes:

Congratulations to your son and family Mairt
    Seconded :) Well done to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

stovelid wrote:
    Your spelling suggests that somebody should have insisted on your behalf?

No its just in work my company does allot of work for microsoft so we use Internet explorer instead of firefox with its nifty spell checker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Should be CSPE. It's a mandatory course of pro-democratic waffle
    Is that what we used to call 'Civics'?

Is that what we used to call 'Civics'?
    It's Civic, Social and Political Education.

Waste of class time really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

User45701 wrote:
    No its just in work my company does allot of work for microsoft so we use Internet explorer instead of firefox with its nifty spell checker
    Does the spell checker give you the meanings of words?

"a" "space" "lot".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

User45701 wrote:

That's no excuse for not knowing how to spell. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

JC 2K3 wrote:

Except that it perhaps gives weaker students a sense of achievement when they get a grade for it. That's why they claim they've gotten an honour. No harm in that really.

It's also a step in the right direction, namely providing a broader education for all rather than simply concentrating on core subjects. Giving an exam in these type of things is simply a way of ensuring that schools don't ignore them.

You may think it's a waste of time. A lot of students do, particular little know-it-alls whose only goal in life is getting points in their Leaving Cert and scoring points against others. They might benefit from losing the attitude. There is a lot more to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Wooops, I guess I should have said "junior" ah well. I didn't fail my junior cert, just the leaving, I still managed to get a 1st on my degree and walked straight into a job at the BBC ergo.... IMHO the Irish exam system is pointless.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

welll i passed!¬!!!!!!!!11;) ;););););););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

It's not that hard to get 11 C's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The junior cert. is negligible but I assume it's still used to determine whether one gets into honours leaving cert. courses so I would assume honours results are important in that respect.

I have to say about the L.C. that doing very well is no sign of genius but doing badly(based purely on the people I knew who did it at the same time) is much more telling.

Anywho, well done, and out of all of this the congratulations and pride shown toward your son for his achievement may do more for him in the long run than the actual results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

JC 2K3 wrote:
    And it wouldn't exactly be a terrible one either.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Should be CSPE. It's a mandatory course of pro-democratic waffle.
    And you would prefer what ... pro-fascist waffle?
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    For this reason, I believe the OP's son only actually got 10 honours.
    Well, thanks for pointing that out ... jeez, man, do you grab a fire extinguisher every time you see a birthday cake as well? :rolleyes:
    JC 2K3 wrote:

Aye, what are the DES people on, to think that it might be useful for young adults to have some understanding of the society they live in, and which they will soon be able to vote in? And they could be using that time to teach a class on "How to retire a multi-millionaire at 30" or "Consumerism for beginners".

Mairt, well done to your son (and his parents!)

jeez, man, do you grab a fire extinguisher every time you see a birthday cake as well? :rolleyes:

Mairt, well done to your son (and his parents!)

Now that really did make me laugh!.

Guys thanks for the reply, I know what the JC mean's to most people. But when its your first child doing it, it mean's the bloody world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

and when your doing it, its huge aswell.

also cspe = subject to brighten up the results slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mairt wrote:
    Just got the call, 11 honours. Tear's are flowing here, and I've to hide them from the lads.

Hey mate,

fair play to the kid! Thats some good work right there.

I assume he gets his brains from his mother?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mairt wrote:
    I'm in work. I've been waiting patiently for a phone call from my son with his junior cert results!..

Just got the call, 11 honours. Tear's are flowing here, and I've to hide them from the lads.

I'm fvcking over the moon :D
    To bad it means feck all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To bad it means feck all;)

Not really, it shows and aptitude and willingness to work, don't you think? Always a good way to have things in the young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Junior cert, not worth the paper its written on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Fair play to him, I hope you get him something deadly for all the work he put in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Dragan wrote:
    Not really, it shows and aptitude and willingness to work, don't you think? Always a good way to have things in the young.

Spot on, while the results may mean little in the bigger scheme of things. Showing a willingness to excel and apply one's self during the turbulent times of Teenagery says a hell of a lot.
    Trust me, I teach a large group of teenagers Taekwon-Do and most of them would break your heart! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Jon wrote:
    Trust me, I teach a large group of teenagers Taekwon-Do and most of them would break your heart! :o

I feel your pain:D

Mairt, well done to your son!

dame wrote:
    It's also a step in the right direction, namely providing a broader education for all rather than simply concentrating on core subjects. Giving an exam in these type of things is simply a way of ensuring that schools don't ignore them.
    You've never seen the exam, have you?

I'd be all for a decent JC course on politics and society, just not the drivel that is CSPE.
    dame wrote:
    You may think it's a waste of time. A lot of students do, particular little know-it-alls whose only goal in life is getting points in their Leaving Cert and scoring points against others. They might benefit from losing the attitude. There is a lot more to life.
    Well, I'd disagree with you there. I wouldn't put particular emphasis on the know-it-alls being the main group against CSPE. I think that across the board, JC students of all ability levels would consider CSPE a waste of time.

Though I agree with you, someone who's sole goal in life is to do well in the LC would indeed benefit from losing such an attitude.

Advertisement