Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Ports on my Router Nightmare

Options
  • 12-09-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless Netopia 2247NWG-EIR router in my new house supplied free from Eircom. I used to have a Netgear wireless which was brilliant, this one is nothing but trouble.

I am trying to open ports for a certain Utorrent programme to download with. I set up a static IP on my pc and was greeted by this message

"Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network(such as an intranet or internet). They will not fumction properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks(such as one on your intranet and one on the internet). Do you want to save this configuration?"

I click yes, assuming my static IP is set up. Then I go to forward the ports in my routers GUI. I do it as told by www.portforward.com but, when I check whether the ports are forwarded in this porgramme, it says they're still closed meaning my speeds are awful. I have never had a problem with this before, I've forwarded them loads of times on my other Netgear Wireless router with no problems. It worked first time, every time. It seems to be this router where the problem lies.

On another note which may be related, My Xbox 360 will not connect to Xbox LIVE on this Wireless Router using an ethernet cable meaning I have to use my OLD OLD netopia wired router and it connect fine, I'd say this is related and that I just have to do something to my router to allow the NAT settings to get changed and also connect to Xbox LIVE.

Thanks, I'd REEEAAALLLY appreciate the help as it's been driving me crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Anyone?

Would really appreciate some help please.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

You need to open ports for xbox live so your NAT settings say OPEN and not STRICT. If its strict it causes problems with private chat and getting into friends games.
    To fix this, set your NAT to Open by opening the following ports on your router: 88 (UDP), 3074 (UDP), and 3074 (TCP).

You can find all this on portforward.com they even have xbox360 live in the list of applications. Just select your router make and model and then on the next page select xbox 360 live. You can get your xbox's ip address from the purple system blade under network settings.

It's not that my NAT Settings are strict. It's that it will not even connect to LIVE, let alone connecting to games. And, I cannot forward ports on my router, as I said. They won't stay open.

Who is your isp, do you have to set the PPOE settings on your xbox perhaps?

Also why did you set up a static ip? Your router would be 192.168.0.1 and then any devices connected to it would be assigned from it, if you leave your pc connected to it then its gonna always be 192.168.0.2 for example. Setting up the static ip may be causing issues because your router is your main gateway, what did you set your static ip too?

My router isn't 192.168.0.1, it's 192.168.1.254.

You have to set up a static IP to forward the ports in uTorrent. That's what it says anyway on www.portforward.com

I set the static IP as 192.168.1.136 to no avail. The ports will not open. This is REEAALLY annoying me.

• Advertisement

Seems weird that your routers ip is 254

Also you defintely need to set up the ppoe settings on your xbox if you are with eircom so thats why its not working with xbox live.

Yeah it is weird. I changed it to 192.168.1.1 but then I just reset the router.

Why does my xbox connect no problem to the other netopia router then? It's obviously something with the ACTUAL router itself or else the xbox wouldn't work with the other router. I've always been on Eircom.

Any advice on what my router needs done to it? And, what are PPOE settings?

Seems odd alright, to set the PPOE settings on your xbox do the following:

In the XBox's Network Settings go to PPPoe Settings and switch Configuration to "On".
    Enter username as "eircom" and password as "broadband1".
    Leave Service Name part blank.
    Should connect fine then, if not do the xbox live connection test and see what part the error is with.

PPOE is basically a setting which logs you in every time you use broadband even though its techinically always on you need to login, its done automatically when you surf the web etc but not when you try connect your xbox as far as i know.

As for why this router works and the other doesnt i dunno, seems very weird unless you have settings set on the toher router that you forgot about or havent done on this new one and they are saved on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Timans wrote:
    I have a wireless Netopia 2247NWG-EIR router in my new house supplied free from Eircom. I used to have a Netgear wireless which was brilliant, this one is nothing but trouble.

I am trying to open ports for a certain Utorrent programme to download with. I set up a static IP on my pc and was greeted by this message

"Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network(such as an intranet or internet). They will not fumction properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks(such as one on your intranet and one on the internet). Do you want to save this configuration?"

I click yes, assuming my static IP is set up. Then I go to forward the ports in my routers GUI. I do it as told by www.portforward.com but, when I check whether the ports are forwarded in this porgramme, it says they're still closed meaning my speeds are awful. I have never had a problem with this before, I've forwarded them loads of times on my other Netgear Wireless router with no problems. It worked first time, every time. It seems to be this router where the problem lies.

On another note which may be related, My Xbox 360 will not connect to Xbox LIVE on this Wireless Router using an ethernet cable meaning I have to use my OLD OLD netopia wired router and it connect fine, I'd say this is related and that I just have to do something to my router to allow the NAT settings to get changed and also connect to Xbox LIVE.

Thanks, I'd REEEAAALLLY appreciate the help as it's been driving me crazy.
    I had that Netopia working fine with uTorrent after setting what port to use in uTorrent and then opening it in the Netopia's config pages. With my Netgear, it's all automatic.

This sounds like problems with subnets. Have you tried reverting to PC's settings to receive an IP address by DHCP and then try using uTorrent?

What do you mean by that? Setting it to obtain IP etc automatically? I've just done that and forwarded the ports in GUI to no avail. When I test the port in uTorrent it still says it's closed.

• Advertisement

Did you get your xbox sorted?

He means instead of you giving your pc a static ip that it gets one dynamically from the router which assigns each device an ip as they are connected, for example if the router is 192.168.1 then it gives your pc 192.168.1.2

How would I go about doing that alan?

I've set it to obtain Ip etc automatically in control panel > network connections. But when I "ipconfig/all" it says my IP is 192.168.1.10(preferred) dunno why.

Haven't tried the xbox yet mate as I'm more worried about getting these uTorrent ports open. I really need them open as it renders uTorrent unusable otherwise!

Advertisement