Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowing copying and pasting of news articles

Options
  • 12-09-2007 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I administrate a discussion forum that receives about 10 posts a day on average so by no means a large forum.

What are peoples general feelings about users copying and pasting of news articles from other websites namely news websites such as sky news etc.? Should I be stopping them?

Just want to know if there is any real copyright infringement problems and/or legal worries for the site owners. I see boards.ie seems to allow it but just wanted to see what ye think aswell.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

If there copied word for word just make sure theres a reference to the original article and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

My personal opinion is ... that you link to the quote and you make it known that the text is a quote from that website ...

I reckon so long as you don't claim the information as your own .. you're ok ... but you must keep a link to the original article and again ... I don't think you really want to quote the whole article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

If this isn't relevant just remove it but I was just wondering how you would stop people copying and pasting text? I was thinking if you made the pictures text but does that work with dynamic websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

GaryCocs wrote:
    If this isn't relevant just remove it but I was just wondering how you would stop people copying and pasting text? I was thinking if you made the pictures text but does that work with dynamic websites?

Simple answer is .. you can't ... If you are going to display text ... people will always be able to copy it ... whether its copy and paste ... or re-typing what they are reading ...

Its like how do you stop people copying movies / music ... you can't .. once you can hear / see something ... it can be copied ...

Alternatively you could try those annoying anti click .. javascripts ... (however the user just has to turn javascript off) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You might want to read up on "fair use"

• Advertisement
Advertisement