Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes Squeaking

Options
  • 12-09-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 00 Nissan Almera. Recently the brakes have started squeaking when I brake hard. I thought it might be the brake pads but they looked ok. I got it serviced today and they said that the brake pads were like new. They said it might have been dust around them and they cleaned all that. I also got two new front tires. The mechanic said the car was in great nick. On the way home I tested it and they are still squeaking when braking hard.

I am not overly familiar with cars so was just wondering what your opinions are? Is it anything to worry about?? Or is it just the rubber against the brakepads.

Cheers :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's just the vibration of the pads against the calipers(there's no rubber). You (as in a mechanic) could take them out and apply copper grease SPARINGLY to the back of the pads before reinstalling.

But you have to ask yourself is it worth the effort for the minor annoyance it is. It wont cause any problems besides.

Advisory note, Dont attempt to interfere with the brakes unless you know what you're doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

If your mechanic said they dont need to be replaced then the squeaking is just noise , there is nothing to worry about and it doesnt affect breaking performance. - I replaced all my break pads less than 1000 miles ago and sometimes there is still a bit of squeak in slow moving traffic if i press the pedal lightly.

...."Rubber" lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

rcs wrote:
    Hi,

Or is it just the rubber against the brakepads.

Cheers :confused:

Thanks Rcs :D that post just made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Cheers for that lads... Just as long as it's nothing to worry about & not damaging the car, that's good enough for me!
    C_Breeze wrote:
    ...."Rubber" lol :D

Just re-read my first post.... D'oh :o:D

Advertisement