Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change

Options
  • 12-09-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi (posted this on Biz Work, apologies For the Double Post)

Well as its seems really popular lately on boards, Im in IT and want to change Career. Im 32 Just married , and next year Im looking to do a Certicate In Auctioneer And Estate agency in It tallaght, its with the IPAV, First off, any one with experience of this course?

Brief History, Have worked at all levels of IT from Tech support to Network engineer and Web Admin/sys Admin kinda roles, Also When i left school I did a two year cert in Marketing with the Marketing Institute of Ireland , Im Also CCNA And MCSA, Worked in Sales/stock management years back also.

Basically I have had enough of IT and And dont mind the starting again low salary kinda thing So Can any Auctioneers/Estate agents be able to pass on some of there wisdom. Whats the best route to go ? IAVI or IPAV? ( I know i should be working in the field while doing these courses )Both offer courses part time so, Its an area I have had interest in for years but dont know any Estate agents/Auctioneers Whos brain I can pick..

What I would like to do is to the Cert Course when finished look for a Job anywhere I can get experience and then further study with a view to maybe surveying Or full on Auctioneer, Im not in it for the cash , Ive always had a keen interest in this field and interior design etc,

Am I loopy ?

I have though about doing the Prince 2 Stuff and further My IT career, But I have no interest in the technical side any more, or mamagement or project manager,

Any help and advise is greatfully received.,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you the abilitly to use creative descriptions (to lie) and zero ethics?:p
    Ah no, some auctioneers are true professionals before I get flamed.

Actually you sound overqualified to what is basically a sales job. It's not that much different to a recruitment agent or similar roles.

Going by your post would you consider doing a course in architecture instead?

I can't give advice but many posters have posted that estate agents are letting people go. Sounds worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Probably not a great time to be getting into estate agency work, or even architecture to be honest. You might be swimming against the tide. Not impossible of course, but unfortunate. Would you think about getting into s/w development? Be fairly different than the techy work you've been doing, but at least you previous experience might be of some use?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

overqualified, not sure, There a Lot to The roll of Estate Agent and auctionning with further Education theres plenty of various roles one could move into me think. Not fully sure As Im only scratching the surface ( hence why asking on advise)

But thanks.

architecture, not so Much my cup of tea, Many friends Who are architects and they love it ,

>I can't give advice but many posters have posted that estate agents are >letting people go. Sounds worrying

I hear yeh :)

Just have had enough of IT and being on Call getting Calls at 4am up all night work all day kinda stuff, Property And valuations and the environment that surrounds it appeals to me, And having Marketing experience, And Work in a marketing role When younger I enjoyed it, hmm much to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The only thing I'd say to bear in mind is that with the number of house sales falling dramatically you're going to find it much harder to make commission which is what makes up bulk of auctioneers income. The more talented people tend to go into commercial property but you'd be better off doing a course in DIT for that.

Ta jdivision and Patrick

Soft ware development as in programming? Have to admit I dont think I could ever see myself programming..

I understand the current market and the way things are at the moment , When the course is finished, I could end up moving anyway to get the expericence as the 3 year Bsc is based in England and you Can study from anywere if Im not mistaken, (IPAV course) and the miss`s is behind me and willing to do the same, shes actually interested in doing the Same course so

If any Estate agents or auctioneers are about and Shy about posting please feel free to PM me :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Forget the IPAV course - it's not accredited or recognised widely.

If you want to get into residential estate agency, you're best doing the IAVI BSc in Property Studies - it's a 4 year degree. You can also do their Residential and Land Agency Certificate - a 2 year course. Both courses are recognised by the DIT and are highly regarded. For commercial property, the best route is the Property Economics Degree at DIT Bolton St.

But as the other posters mentioned, the Irish housing market is at the point of collapse and estate agents are starting to let people go in droves. Not the best of times to be getting into this area, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Soft ware development as in programming? Have to admit I dont think I could ever see myself programming..

Yes, I meant programming. Would be fairly different from the IT roles you've had, but its not for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

There's a lot more to estate agency than just shifting houses, which is in a bad way at the moment, might have picked up again by the time you qualify though.

Besides selling houses there's valuation practice (particularly commercial) which is quite extensive, there's fine art (admittedly not a wide market for this).

Hi all

And Thanks Patrickof I agree , Still confused So As the IAVI I need to be working full time in Property industry So Im kinda limited and the IPAV one Does lead to acredited BSC at the end , The Two Year Cert I think Im kinda Stuck with the only option I could plan ahead with ,. Or waste two years, :/

Still Would Like to have a chat with Someone working in the industry,

Only other hope Would be To quite sell house and leave as a Student for a few years,, I can See that going down Well with the wife, :)

Thanks All

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I'm just finishing the IAVI course, thesis to hand in in October and then thats it.

The reason you need to be working in the area is because a lot of the projects/course work is actually based on real events in your workplace.

• Advertisement

Ah Cool Patrickof ,,

How did you find the Course,?

Problem is Im working in IT and with no real Chance or being able to work in the auctioneering or Estate agency industry, Im kinda Stuck as one of there main requirements is that your are working in the industry. hence wanting to do a Course and then change career, :)

What can i do,? Sigh,,, rock and a hard place, Cant change carrer till I get the quilfication cant get course unless Im working in the industry, thats why I was going to the IPAV one ,,

hmmm , am confessed ted,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I'd recommend you do the IAVI course.

DIT do full time courses (Auctioneering, Valuation and Estate Agency 3 Years and Property Economics 4 years) and they also hold part time courses every second saturday, There is a four year part time course Hon. Deg in Propery Studies and a Two year course for associate membershop to the IAVI.

You do have to be working in a property related industry though as the course focuses on real topics that you encounter while working

Advertisement