Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Bank closing down...

Options
  • 12-09-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Don't know if any of you heard this, but the Left Bank is closing down in a couple of weeks. None of the staff have been officially informed yet but the main chef has apparently. Bit of a disgrace really because the bartenders, waitresses etc don't know what the hell is going on...

Rumour is that it's being taken over by a club in Limerick called Voodoo and that they'll be closing off the open space between the bar and restaurant upstairs, to make 2 separate floors.

Downstairs : food during the day, nightclub at night.
    Upstairs : live music and bar

Not sure how much of this is actually true but not sure if it'll be a good move or not. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is it actually closing down? Are these voodoo guys not just taking over and re-designing it?

Edit: I can't really see this being true as any time I've been in there it's usually pretty busy although I am usually just in there the odd Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

No <SNIP> harm if it's closing down!
    It was a much better spot before it became the left bank!

Edit by muffler: Gillie, please remember this is not the after hours forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SligoJoe

Rozbeef wrote:
    Don't know if any of you heard this, but the Left Bank is closing down in a couple of weeks. None of the staff have been officially informed yet but the main chef has apparently. Bit of a disgrace really because the bartenders, waitresses etc don't know what the hell is going on...

Rumour is that it's being taken over by a club in Limerick called Voodoo and that they'll be closing off the open space between the bar and restaurant upstairs, to make 2 separate floors.

Downstairs : food during the day, nightclub at night.
    Upstairs : live music and bar

Not sure how much of this is actually true but not sure if it'll be a good move or not. :confused:

I went in there Monday afternoon for a pint. The staff had got their notice. <SNIP>. great barman.. Hope he gets another job soon

Edit by muffler: He wont get another job with comments like that (now deleted) You're new here so just have a think before you post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

:( Many a great night I had in the Garavogue/Left Bank , shame really , hope the new place does well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

SligoJoe wrote:
    I went in there Monday afternoon for a pint. The staff had got their notice. great barman.. Hope he gets another job soon
    <SNIP>[/I][/B] :-D

Edit by muffler: We dont need personal details posted up here

good point!!! sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would you all have a wee think of the consequences of posting up comments such as the ones I had to remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SligoJoe

I sincerely apologise.. I didn't mean to offend anyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cool.

SligoJoe wrote:
    I sincerely apologise.. I didn't mean to offend anyone
    No problem. Apology accepted.

As I said have a wee think of what you are posting and you will see where it could have a negative effect on the person being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i quite injoy going to the left bank, but have noticed its got quieter in the last few weeks, seen some where on another page that it was voodoo in letterkenny taking over, have been there a few times, very lively spot

• Advertisement

Rozbeef wrote:
    Rumour is that it's being taken over by a club in Limerick called Voodoo

This a typo so?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Definately being taken over by voodoo From Letterkenny. It will most likely have a night club aimed at dance music similiar to Letterkenny

Definately being taken over by voodoo From Letterkenny. It will most likely have a night club aimed at dance music similiar to Letterkenny

Cool.
    I think i've been in that place in LK and it's a good spot IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Just what Sligo needs more crappy dance music. :(

I hope the Clarence runs similar nights to its pre closing line up when it gets back on its feet, it'd be nice to have some place to go again.

Last night in the Left Bank was weird, a mixture of cheesy and great rock played at reasonable volume. Pity there was only a few people there, still better then 99% of the nights I've been in the place.

Whens the official closing down date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Saturday is the last night it will be open....I wonder if there will be any closing down offers on the drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Good riddance to the place.
    Ever since it changed from the garavogue it has had rude staff, poor floor layout (bar moved), disgusting toilets, beat up furniture...
    Plus they were trying to charge us in one weds night i think for a couple of beers cos there was a crap dj playing and about five people in there. we laughed and turned and thought they're going under if they keep going like that. Loved the garavogue so hopefully the new owners will do as good a job. Is the clarence ever reopening? DId they run out of money for renovations or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

What was Sat night like? I nver managed to make it down

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

It was pretty busy, didn't seem like they were checking to many IDs.

Other then that the usual music and they ran out of alcohol around 1.30.

There was some good music coming from Bar Eile, it was for a 21st, can't remember the name of the band though.

I really enjoyed Saturday night in there ,It was mostly indie disco tunes so thats what made it good really , seemed busy enough

• Advertisement

saturday night was pretty mental in there!! really good night though.

pretty sad aswell to be honest. rip left bank :-D

new place should be opening in january.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Left Bank was a shadow of the Garavogue back in it's heyday. About 5-7 years ago when the whole place was open on a Sat night. I really loved it back then. Then they shut upstairs. Then they moved the bar. then the crowd changed. No loss IMHO considering what it had become.

heard this weekend that the left bank is going to reopen in 2 weeks time. pretty sure it's for sligo live and then the rallye in november.

will close again at the end of the year, to be replaced by a night club.

Presumably this is Left Bank in its current incarnation rather than the new ownership?

yep still the left bank. i suppose the owners hadn't thought it through before closing down. not sure what they're doing about staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yarrrr thar be no Fancy-Dress this Halloween o_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

dammit, i thought that once it closed i'd be finally be able to hear people saying that it was on the left bank when you look from a certain direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

Anyone know whats happening the left bank?i used to go there all the time and then all of a sudden it closed down.i heard the voodoo night club was to go there instead but then that fell through.it was a pretty cool place to go if your into alternative music that is.

See here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

For anyone who doesnt know i dont think voodoo will be going where the left bank was from what i have heard left bank might be reopening in a couple of months .

Advertisement