Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Bank closing down...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I never really liked the Left Bank that much or the Garavouge before that except for when they used to get some good bands in. Saw Petronella play a rockin show there one night, the place was packed. What's Tabby at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Album due shortly I think.
    As far as I know, he's still gigging working up a bit of interest.
    I love the guy. I think he's an awesome talent, and a shame things didn't kick on since the international tv exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

oh please tabby had his chance ages ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Album due shortly I think.
    As far as I know, he's still gigging working up a bit of interest.
    I love the guy. I think he's an awesome talent, and a shame things didn't kick on since the international tv exposure.
    Cant say I know too much about the Left bank. If reopens must check it out though. Tabby appears to be involved in organising some music festival coming up. Twas in the Champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

tommmy wrote: »
    oh please tabby had his chance ages ago.

and............what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dunno what Tabby has to do with the Garavogue (apart from his mam who worked in the kitchen), but anyways.... I much preferred the place before they moved the bar to the side wall. The "renovation" was ****e - the bar was shifted to one side & a bit of scabby carpet throw down to cover the hole in the floor where it used to be.

It was a crap place for gigs too - rule number one for a gig venue ; make the stage big enough so that a band can fit on it without hitting each other with their guitar necks.

Also the music wasn't the best at all.. I mean, do you really want to hear "Lovecats" when you're out on a Saturday night? It's not the school disco from the 80s.

Wasn't a bad place to go though - better than Fiddlers which is the ultimate bogger hang out, though with a decent renovation some decent entertainment, it could be really cool. It's not like the Clarence is making much of an effort to draw the Garavogues clientele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

is there any work being done on it at the moment?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

nope still the same so far. everything is still in there. last i heard was the left bank was meant to be opening for the christmas holidays and new year. that didn't happen. voodoo then pulled out of the takeover and nothing since then.

doesn't look like anything will happen before the summer, which is a total shambles because it's one of the best places when the weather is good :-(

I dont really get it to be honest.when it was the garavouge it was good then when it was the left bank it feel apart could they not re design it a bit better have it more like the garavouge.take that bar away.and open upstairs.its in a good spot its just a waste at the moment.
    knowing this town they will probaly knock it and make it into apartments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

voodoo in letterkenny is supposed to be very good,and there is plenty of competition in letterkenny too.hope some place gets opened soon,great place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dingo dog

it was a pity it closed down, i loved going there during the summer, sitting outside and watching the scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

really hope it gets opening again soon , theres no place in sligo at all that really fills it's remit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dingo dog

i walked past the place the other day and i saw sign of life in there....so maybe it will be opening soon!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i hope it'll be back before the summer. it was never the same once it became the left bank. it looks really rough now. they didnt keep it well maintained on the outside in the last few years and when i walked past it on saturday you could see that all the outside wood had been neglected over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

To be honest, they didn't keep it well mantained inside either did they? Were ya ever stuck up around the pool table when it was busy? The smell of pish comin from the bogs was rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

el_weirdo wrote: »
    To be honest, they didn't keep it well mantained inside either did they? Were ya ever stuck up around the pool table when it was busy? The smell of pish comin from the bogs was rank.
    Have to agree with el_weirdo on that.. always bothered me too!

You didn't even have to be too near the loos or pool table but in the general vicinity was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

ah but there's nothing like having a cold pint by the river on a hot day in the summer there...plus last time i did that i gave the barman a fiver for a pint bottle of bulmers...he gave me the change of a twenty...happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Rossibaby wrote: »
    ah but there's nothing like having a cold pint by the river on a hot day in the summer there...plus last time i did that i gave the barman a fiver for a pint bottle of bulmers...he gave me the change of a twenty...happy days

:D
    No wonder in Closed down! Feckin Charity!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

knowing this town they will probaly knock it and make it into apartments
    You might actually be scarily close to the truth there! I've heard on the rumour mill that the whole building is a mess, was shoddily built, and nobody will touch it. Wouldn't be surprised if it lies vacant for another year or two and is then replaced by apartments or offices.:(
    On a related note (OK slightly off topic) anybody know whats happening with Hargadon's on O'Connell St? It's such a shame that it's being let go - one of the finest pubs in SLigo (if not Ireland!) and it's just sitting there rotting away

• Advertisement

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I've heard on the rumour mill that the whole building is a mess, was shoddily built, and nobody will touch it.

This is completely untrue. The reason the pub hasn't re-opened probably has a lot more to do with the fact that the owner also owns the Clarence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Rossibaby wrote: »

I used to work there when it was the Garavogue and that dosent f%^kin suprise me one bit....

bennyc wrote: »
    I used to work there when it was the Garavogue and that dosent f%^kin suprise me one bit....

Did you give him the wrong change? That why you used to work there?
    :D

i heard that karma might be moving into where the left bank used to be.anyone else hear that?

What's Karma? Is it a chain of pubs/clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Gillie wrote: »
    What's Karma? Is it a chain of pubs/clubs?

I guess you can call it a chain of clubs,but from what I know they only have to clubs,one in Galway(which was like a maze) and another in Athlone.

Link: www.karma.ie

They good/nice?

Well it wasn't my cup of tea when I was in it in Galway(not because of the music though),I got sorta lost in it so hopefully if they take over the Left Bank it wont be so much of a maze.

Even though I have only been in it once,they did have podium dancers so that was a plus,maybe if they have them every night,they might attract a bit of a crowd.

Podium dancers? Great - just what we need in Sligo... another haven for the pre-Velvet Room jocks.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know,but it wasn't to bad,nobody seemed to take any notice of them.

At least if a new club does open in Sligo at least we will have a bit more variation in the town and I might enjoy going clubbing again.

Advertisement