Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Bank closing down...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ger77

Is rozbeef french?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pour your own pints is s rubbish idea. I can't pour for crap when sober let alone when hammered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tilt glass, win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I went in this evening for a quick look, the place was dead.

Only saw one large screen television and didn't see where the pull you own pint thing is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

terrible cheesey 80s muzak on offer. It used to be worth goin in for the tunes alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

so cheesy music and pouring your own pint? I have that at home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I went in this evening for a quick look, the place was dead.

Only saw one large screen television and didn't see where the pull you own pint thing is either.
    the pull yer own thing is on the left from the mai8n stairs to the back left corner

i thinks its a fun gimmick but would have thought itb was technically illegal

i was in on friday and it was not very full but once the students get in it'll fill up

used to be a good night

see I don't buy the pull your own pint thing. I go to the pub and they do it thats why I'm there. If I want to do my own pint I stay at home. Like a restaurant where you have to cook your own food!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Is it called the Garavogue again or have they named it something else now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

It's the Garavogue again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Note to the designer of their webpage, change..

[html]<title>Garavouge Sligo</title>[/html]

.. to..

[html]<title>Garavogue Sligo</title>[/html]

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

see I don't buy the pull your own pint thing. I go to the pub and they do it thats why I'm there. If I want to do my own pint I stay at home. Like a restaurant where you have to cook your own food!

Funny you should say that - I was in Madrid last month & ate in a place called "El Buey"... to each table, they serve big plates of raw ox meat seasoned with salt & give each diner a seriously hot clay plate... you cook the meat yourself on the plate to your liking - it's a fabulous idea & it's a Michellin star restaurant!

As for serving yourself pints - there's a couple of pubs in Dublin that've been doing that the last few years... last time I was in one, they were also playing cheesy 80's music.

Have yet to check out the Garavogue re-fit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Its a shame the music quality is so low.
    Over the first weekend DJ Baldy Mic was Mc'ing over the music - 'If yer drunk, come on up to the dance floor'.

I avoided the place this weekend but heard from a few friends who ventured down that they played the likes of Five and the Vengaboys.. so friends swiftly departed over to the Moon at Tobergal Lane.

Its a shame, the Garavogue, in its previous incarnations was renowned for its alternative/rock/indie music standards, and that style of music fits the architecture of the building, the area around there, and has much more potential to develop. Are stag/hen parties sustainable targets for a pub??

Guess I had too high expectations :(

(in other news the TnC is open again(to the public!) and are holding live music gigs)

Funny you should say that - I was in Madrid last month & ate in a place called "El Buey"... to each table, they serve big plates of raw ox meat seasoned with salt & give each diner a seriously hot clay plate... you cook the meat yourself on the plate to your liking - it's a fabulous idea & it's a Michellin star restaurant!

As for serving yourself pints - there's a couple of pubs in Dublin that've been doing that the last few years... last time I was in one, they were also playing cheesy 80's music.

Have yet to check out the Garavogue re-fit though.

yep we have that in the Netherlands too. We call it stone grill, didn't buy that there either. You can do it at home aswell invited people for dinner and then let them cook it. The rills are very cheap and so are your dinner party's! If I go out I want my food cooked and served for me. same with my pints and I deffo don't want 80 music while having to pull my own pint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Dear god! the garavogue sounds like it wont be receiving my patronage. Have they any rock and indie scheduled or do the sell any world beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

LadyDotty wrote: »
    Over the first weekend DJ Baldy Mic was Mc'ing over the music - 'If yer drunk, come on up to the dance floor'.

I avoided the place this weekend but heard from a few friends who ventured down that they played the likes of Five and the Vengaboys.. so friends swiftly departed over to the Moon at Tobergal Lane.

Its a shame, the Garavogue, in its previous incarnations was renowned for its alternative/rock/indie music standards, and that style of music fits the architecture of the building, the area around there, and has much more potential to develop. Are stag/hen parties sustainable targets for a pub??

hence why it closed down the alernative indie gang wernt profitable enough and the end of the day you have to do what you can do to make a few pound and if its the stag hen route well im afraid thats the way it is

hi_sir wrote: »
    LadyDotty wrote: »

hence why it closed down the alernative indie gang wernt profitable enough and the end of the day you have to do what you can do to make a few pound and if its the stag hen route well im afraid thats the way it is

I doubt it will make much more money over the long term with that music policy given that there's McHughs , Belfry and Shenanigans that already cater for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I hear the dress code is very strict and also is it over 21s all week? or just at the weekends?

strongr wrote: »
    I hear the dress code is very strict

Yeah I know a guy who was in there with a hooded top and was asked to leave by the bouncers about half an hour after he went in with no problems

gustavo wrote: »
    Yeah I know a guy who was in there with a hooded top and was asked to leave by the bouncers about half an hour after he went in with no problems

They must be making a lot of money then if they can send punters away! Maybe they can afford to change the music aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

their midweek rock/indie night was nearly always packed, i'd say it would have been quite profitable indeed

Big Baldy Mick in the Garavogue, oh my good god. I never thought I would see the day, Scruffy Duffy will be next, and you know what they say, first the Scruffy posters go up then the "for lease posters".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was in this earlier. They have an airblade, this instantly makes it the coolest place in town!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Is that the hand dryer? If that's the case Yeats Tavern must be cool too, as it has one! It's really powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was in this earlier. They have an airblade, this instantly makes it the coolest place in town!!!!!
    Yep, quite liked it too!
    aine100 wrote: »
    Is that the hand dryer? If that's the case Yeats Tavern must be cool too, as it has one! It's really powerful.
    Was in Davis's on Saturday evening, and girlfriend informed me it was the same dryers there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

are they sending them accross the river to all the big shots in fiddlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I was in a few times.

Didnt bother with the pulll yer own but thought there was a decent enough crowd in there for a Thursday night.

Was in another night when a live band were playing and it wasnt a bad gig. Sligo really doesnt have enough live music IMO.

As for scruffy duffy and baldy mick, there is no words to describe the annoyance. Was in Toffs for a 21st and Duffy was playing, in the end I went and told him I was sober and trying to enjoy the music so please shut up and play the tracks. Grrrrr

Scruffy and big Baldy Mick would empty paradise.

Who ever supplied the music collection.

1. Started buying in the eighties.

2. Stopped buying by the 90's

3 Bought only cheese.

4. Is evangelical about it - because you can't even escape it outside because they are pumping it out there via those horrible JBL's they have installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrincredible

Haven't seen either Baldy Mick or Scruff in there yet. I've been in a good few nights and it's always Mark Cunning from i102104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Who ever he is, he's terrible!!!

Advertisement