Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lola

Options
  • 12-09-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else take ages to realise that the Kink's "Lola" is about a man?
    I feel kind of silly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

'Well Im not the worlds most masculine man
    But I know what I am and Im glad Im a man
    And so is lola
    Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
    Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Fremen wrote:
    I feel kind of silly...

you're in good company; IIRC the BBC banned it back in the day due to the explicit mention of Coca Cola, and not because it was about falling for a cross dresser.

Not that songs about falling for transvestities should be banned, per se, but just if i was in the BBC and it was the, um, less enlightened sixties, i'd have expected more complaints from 'disgusted of Tunbridge wells' about the sexual angle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Based on an actual experience of Robert Wace, the bands manager.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

you're in good company; IIRC the BBC banned it back in the day due to the explicit mention of Coca Cola, and not because it was about falling for a cross dresser.

Isn't the lyric Cherry Cola (not coca cola) or was it changed?
    Why were coca cola products banned?

Never mind: wiki to the rescue:

The song originally contained a reference to "Coca Cola", but the BBC refused to play it as this was considered a violation of their advertising policy. The single then had to be hastily re-recorded with the offending line changed to "cherry cola"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Wow. I did not know that. Even though it's now painfully obvious.

I feel ashamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I feel kind of silly...
    Sounds more like cross dressing With a verse that goes........ 'girls will be boys and boys will be girls' in the mixed up, muddled up , shook up world thats my Lola ......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

latchyco wrote:
    Sounds more like cross dressing With a verse that goes........ 'girls will be boys and boys will be girls' in the mixed up, muddled up , shook up world thats my Lola ......:)

Aye - cos the difference between a transsexual and a transvestite REALLY matters when your friends find out and start slagging you in the pub...

you are, however, correct...

Mcfly do a version of lola to ..........

latchyco wrote:
    Mcfly do a version of lola to ..........

to what?

• Advertisement

to what?
    Mcfly .. they do a version of LOLA ,the song that was a hit for the Kinks many moons ago .....comprendi ????

Advertisement