Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delaney or Staunton - Who's fault?

• 12-09-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

In your opinion who is to balme for the current farce that is the Irish national team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Delany. This is a monumental HR **** up. If I was offered the job I'd take it too. The blame lies with those who got rid of Kerr and failed to deliver a replacement that was anywhere near the level expected and required. And then to stand steadfastly by that appointment even after two results which effectively launched Irish football back into the pre Liam Touhy dark ages (Cyprus, San Marino) displays a baffling amount of inflated ego and incompetance.

HE SHOULD GET THE ****ING SACK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think they're both equally at fault. Staunton is inept, yet it was the clowns in the FAI who put him in his position in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Delaney all the way - Staunton is inept but it's hard to blame him for taking the opportunity of a lifetime. If he gets the sack, I won't hold any hope of getting a decent replacement.

Someone speculated in another thread that Hitzfeld applied for the job but didn't even get an interview - not sure if that's true, but if it is, what a travesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

FARRELLY OUT!!!!!

No wait...

O'CONNOR OUT!!!!

I mean eh...

DELANEY OUT!!!!!

Man I'm a pro at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id say its safe to say this will be pretty much 100% Delaney.

Most of the blame goes to Delaney, for hiring inept people and seeking the cheap way out. He seems to have no interest in the actual well being and success of the national team. A man we certainly dont want in the premier position of the association.

Staunton however still takes plenty of blame. He knew he wasnt up to the job, but still took it. yeah its a class job so in some ways you cant blame him, but at the end of the day its very selfish and good for him/bad for the national team. Also, and im only assuming on this point, but he doesnt seem to be looking for guidance from more experianced people. He's bound to have plenty of connections in the footballing world, which would probably have been one of the plus's for hiring him, but his decisions stink of a stubborn man who's only doing what he wants, in spite of pretty much everyone else being baffled by the selections, substitutions, strategy and attitude that he's been responsible for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Does anyone know who's on the board of the FAI?

Surely they've to take some blame also by continuing his employment!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Delaney all the way.
    It's easy to blame Stan but the simple truth is if anyone was offered the chance to manage their country, you'd take their hand off accepting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Stan is a useless twat, but it's 100% Delaney's fault. How he didn't have the foresight to see it would be a disaster is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Staunton out, Des in - - - - - problem solved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Staunton out, Des in - - - - - problem solved :)
    At the time of Staunton's first competetive match, I actually had more managerial experience than him.

In my time with Boardeaux :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Staunton's a crap manager, but I'd blame anyone who thought a cv saying "Assistant at Walsall" was good enough for the job.

As for the post above saying Hitzfeld may have been interested but didn't get an interview, that's possibly a budget thing - can we blame Delaney for that too?

Tbh, going for a dirt cheap appointment I think they would have been safer giving it to an Irish league manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

p.pete wrote:
    Staunton's a crap manager, but I'd blame anyone who thought a cv saying "Assistant at Walsall" was good enough for the job.

Was he actually assistant manager of the first team? I thought I remembered hearing that he wasn't even involved with the first team...?

p.pete wrote:
    Tbh, going for a dirt cheap appointment I think they would have been safer giving it to an Irish league manager.
    Someone like Alan McDonald of Glentoran or Davis Jeffrey of Linfield?

Why would the FAI not look at the League of Ireland before the Irish league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

p.pete wrote:

As for the post above saying Hitzfeld may have been interested but didn't get an interview, that's possibly a budget thing - can we blame Delaney for that too?

Staunton and Robson combined is more than twice what Kerr was on. One of the worst parts about this appointment is that it was anything other than cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

What contract is Staunton on with the FAI ?

Is it a 4 year deal ? If so thats another fcuk up.

Oh I blame Delaney and his crew for this. For some reason the media seem to be giving the Delaney crew a bit of a break as I have seen no major backlash towards them.

Didn't Klinsmann do something similar for Germany ? Did he have coaching experience before he worked with Germany ? I know he had a good backroom staff etc etc but just curious on this one.

Maybe the FAI thougt Staunton would do a Klinsmann and promote loads of younger players to the senior squad and get them playing good football. But I think Klinsmann had the grace of having a few years and they did not have to qualify for the World Cup so could tinker as much as he liked.

Anyway I am getting away from the original quesyion !

Van Basten at Holland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Or Hughes.

The point is they picked people who were likely to become managers, very good managers. We had somebody like that, he's currently a premiership manaegr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DesF wrote:
    Van Basten at Holland too.

us taking a gamble of that size is more unacceptable, those two teams have the quality of players we can only dream of. we need to be managed well because we have a fairly limited pool of talent to choose from. imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Delaney. Anyone with any sense wouldn't have hired Staunton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Can Delaney actually lose his job?

people are missing one fundamental point here. kerr wasnt sacked because of results, he was let go because he had a power base at a time delaney was centralising power.

ditto stan was hired because he was controllable. delaney said at the time he was impressed with stan when he negotiated on behalf of the 2002 world cup players. for that read delaney could run rings around him.

stan quietly gets on with the job without bothering the FAI for more money, better training facilities, various experts, or investment in youth systems and all that, things kerr and to a lesser extent mccarthy demanded. thats the key, delaney deliberatley chose not to hire better managers for less money.

Can Delaney actually lose his job?

he awarded himself a new four year contract last year. so logically, he can only quit.

his centralisation/consolodation of power has been a breath of fresh air for the LoI but not the national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Isn't there a board though that could vote him out? (excuse my ignorance and naivety on the matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ditto stan was hired because he was controllable.

That's it exactly. A large percentage of senior manager work this way - hire someone who won't rock the boat / cause **** for me.

Delaney is probably more concerned with his pay cheque, his couple of years senior management experience and his imi courses than worrying too much about what the public think.

He has all the power, we have none. Why should he care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dublindude wrote:
    He has all the power, we have none. Why should he care?

BECAUSE WE KNOW WHERE HE LIVES!!!! :mad:

seriously though, lets get about 1000 which we might be able to make up off boards like these, march down to the FAI headquarters some day and just put the building under siege or something til Delany resigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Why im so dissappointed? With this squad, our most blessed and talented squad for a LONG time, we should be pushing Germany for 1st place.

Im more pissed off with Delany, because he hired Staunton in his first even Manager's role, which means he is making his mistakes with Ireland and learning for his next job.

I desparatley want to qualify for EURO 2008 but if we get there and Stan makes a balls of it, that would hurt alot more, and be more embarrasing. Although our seeding would improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Delaney is like the cancer hidden deep within the body causing all the problems, but Staunton is definitely the manifestation of the disease causing all the symptoms.

His excuse for leaving Andy Reid out against the Slovaks ("The pitch wouldn't have suited Andy Reid") is the most ignorant and plain stupid thing I have ever heard.

He's actually making the argument that our best passer and most creative player, who is a professional footballer, wouldn't have been able to play and pass on the bad pitch, as opposed to all the lesser passers we have.... *BOGGLE*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

psi wrote:
    His excuse for leaving Andy Reid out against the Slovaks ("The pitch wouldn't have suited Andy Reid") is the most ignorant and plain stupid thing I have ever heard.

Agreed. That was beyond bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Agreed. That was beyond bizarre.

i pretty sure he was asked the question "would the state of the pitch change his team selection"

he replied something like - no he had known for the last week.
    so to then come out and say the wet conditions wouldnt have suited Reid and thats why he didnt start him????

bizarre

i am totally open to correct on the above post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Why im so dissappointed? With this squad, our most blessed and talented squad for a LONG time, we should be pushing Germany for 1st place.

??

I'm no big fan of Stan the man, but I just don't see this talent you're talking about tbh. The players we have are reasonably well balanced, but still fairly mediocre (with a few exceptions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Greece won the European Cup with less than what we have

PHB wrote:
    Greece won the European Cup with less than what we have
    Their manager was tactically astute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

DesF wrote:
    Their manager was tactically astute.
    And all their players worked their ****ing balls off in every game, putting their bodies on the line when required.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They're both at fault. Delaney takes most of the blame for appointing Staunton in the first place, but Staunton himself should have done the decent thing and accepted that he hadn't got the experience needed and turned the job down. That said, I do accept that it's hard to turn an opportunity like that down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ntlbell wrote:
    FARRELLY OUT!!!!!

No wait...

O'CONNOR OUT!!!!

I mean eh...

DELANEY OUT!!!!!

Man I'm a pro at this.

Well i laughed, its neither of their faults its our fault for having expectations beyond our players abilities.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

My sig hasn't changed since the day he was appointed. So out of his depth it's laughable. A bit like us in World footballing terms really. The Norn Iron lost to Iceland tonight and they are miles ahead of us in the world rankings.
    Wales beat the "formidible" Slovaks 5 - 2 tonight.
    We, along with this man are muppets.

FAI, please do the right thing, before we ruin this promising crop of young players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Liam Brady for next Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

KdjaCL wrote:
    Well i laughed, its neither of their faults its our fault for having expectations beyond our players abilities.

kdjac

Are you serious? Scotland just beat France tonight....

Both out. I think its time the Irish supporter started being more vocal to get these two out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

KdjaCL wrote:
    I don't think we have a God-given right to be sitting top of any qualification table, but I don't think it's beyond our players' abilities to get a result in Cyprus and Slovakia, and to not have to depend on a last-minute winner against San Marino. Look at Scotland - they're not a million miles ahead of us in terms of squad/talent, but they're sitting top of, imo, a harder group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Without a doubt its a harder group (though i'd wonder how much effort France put into it knowing that winning would be doing Italy a service:P)
    Guess we gotta concentrate on getting 3rd so we get a somewhat easier group next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Delany. This is a monumental HR **** up. If I was offered the job I'd take it too. The blame lies with those who got rid of Kerr and failed to deliver a replacement that was anywhere near the level expected and required. And then to stand steadfastly by that appointment even after two results which effectively launched Irish football back into the pre Liam Touhy dark ages (Cyprus, San Marino) displays a baffling amount of inflated ego and incompetance.

HE SHOULD GET THE ****ING SACK.

the first reply to the thread and you got it f*ckin bang on.

what were we promised when Kerr got the sack?
    "a top quality manager" -my hole!!!!!!

& you were right he should get the sack, how do we go about getting him out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

the first reply to the thread and you got it f*ckin bang on.

what were we promised when Kerr got the sack?
    "a top quality manager" -my hole!!!!!!

& you were right he should get the sack, how do we go about getting him out?

Serioulsy I think its time we the Irish Supporter should start being heard. John Delaney is an idiot. He should be out. Banners should be brought to matches with Delaney out and the like. Im just ****ing fed up of the ****e he feeds us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

DesF wrote:
    Someone like Alan McDonald of Glentoran or Davis Jeffrey of Linfield?

Why would the FAI not look at the League of Ireland before the Irish league?
    Irish League would refer to Glentoran and Linfield, Irish league doesn't necesarily, pedantic ****

joe123 wrote:
    Serioulsy I think its time we the Irish Supporter should start being heard. John Delaney is an idiot. He should be out. Banners should be brought to matches with Delaney out and the like. Im just ****ing fed up of the ****e he feeds us.

can someone who has drank less guiness & is more informed me than me please type an e-mail so I send it to john.delaney@fai.ie or even ticket.office@fai.ie - info@fai.ie or any other @fai.ie address i can find (oh there is probably an admin@fai.ie address too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the FAi are a joke imo we had a squad good enough to reach the euro's but they took the option that best suited their org. rather than the good of the team by hiring a yes man .ireland must surely be a fairly good option for a manager its not like we are a 3rd world country- its players are all based in england ,its in western europe the pay cant be too bad.y'know woy i mean surely there was a few decend managers that applied for the job.delaney shud be ashamed of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd rather both were sacked if it means i dont have to look at the soccer forum clogged up with every tom, d!ck and h@rry starting a get him out out thread.

**** sake like, every single irish game results in the same threads, must be running out of thread titles by now, theres only so many ways you can phrase "get stan out".

i dont recall any long live stan threads when denmark were thrashed, granted it was a friendly, but i think some people just like change for the sake of change.

if anyone can suggest a credible replacement for him i'd be interested to see it, but international management hasnt got the appeal it once had, and i doubt the irish job is the most highly sought or financially rewarding in europe.

i'm no fan of staunton and i think delaney has the disposition on a clown, but if you look at it objectively there are not too many candidates for the job

el rabitos wrote:
    i'd rather both were sacked if it means i dont have to look at the soccer forum clogged up with every tom, d!ck and h@rry starting a get him out out thread.

true, mod's any chance of merging this thread with the "get stan out one"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Whats David O'Leary doing now, surely he could take it on and it wouldn't be hard to improve results, I'm sure as an irishman he'd do it.

Whats David O'Leary doing now, surely he could take it on and it wouldn't be hard to improve results, I'm sure as an irishman he'd do it.

He is doing nothing now, thats the point.

Lets hire another unemployable former player based soely on their nationality. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement