Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ordinary or Permanent' Residence

Options
  • 12-09-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a more detailed definition of this other than what the VECs provide?

For the college year I reside outside the area of the VEC I want to apply to (because I go to college...surprise surprise...) but I return to my parents' home for the Summer and other holidays. I want to apply to their VEC for funding as I go to college in N. Ireland and get zero funding there.

Would the fact that I spend c. 9 months of the year away from my parents' house exclude me from eligibility? I would class my permanent residence as being with my parents but I'm not sure the VEC would agree?

Thanks.

Comments

I assume you're talking about the grant? For applying this year (2007) for the first time, the timeframe that matters is where you lived last October the 1st (2006). You won't be excluded from being eligible for a grant if you lived away from your parents (especially if you're seeking to put down that you live with your parents). Assuming that you're an 'other than mature candidate', you would be assessed on your and your parents' income regardless of where you lived.

I'm between two minds as to what should be put down so rather then giving bad advice perhaps it's best just to talk to the VEC directly and mention how your 'permanent' residence is at your parents house while your 'temporary college residence' is nearer the college. Or something to that degree.

If you don't want to get in contact with the VEC yourself, contact teh Student Support Unit, although remember that they aren't administering your grant:

The Student Support Unit,
    Department of Education and Science,
    Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (0506) 21363 or (01) 8734700
    E-mail: StudentSupportUnit-Tullamore@education.gov.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks Myth!

I was more concerned with the grant but the tuition fees aswell (re my postgrad query you helped me with a few days ago!). I'm 25 and a mature undergrad already, and I never applied for VEC funding for that. For postgrad I was going to apply for the fees AND a grant but wondered if the fact that I technically live outside the VEC's administrative area for more of the year than I live inside it means they don't have to help me out?

Well as I said, it's last October the 1st that really matters. All the forms ask where you were residing last October the 1st. Of course, if you were living away from your parents it might be an idea to apply as a mature independent candidate so that only your income would be taken into account if you get me?

Advertisement