Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

I currently drive a 06 Astra 1.3CDTi Life with 64k KM on the clock. Ive moved back to Galway so wont be doing anywhere near the mileage so Id like to change the car.
    I was looking at the Ford Focus, Hyndai Coupe, Avensis. Id be looking for a 05 or 06. What are your opinions/advice on the cars above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Perhaps i've missed something but why not just keep the car you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Anan1 wrote:
    Perhaps i've missed something but why not just keep the car you have?

Feels like a change? I know when I get something like that in my head its nigh on impossible to get it out.

I'd recommend the focus from those 3 but I'm just going on looks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Feels like a change? I know when I get something like that in my head its nigh on impossible to get it out.

I'd recommend the focus from those 3 but I'm just going on looks :o

Exactly. Feel like a change. Only reason I bought the Astra was because it was a diesel and economical doing my 80 miles a day to and from work. There's nothing special about the car and nothing special about the inside. Having said that, it's a strong, sturdy car. But I'd like something "nice".

The Focus is lovely. Saloon or hatch though?

That did occur to me, but all but one of the cars mentioned are firmly in the car-as-appliance bracket. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Anan1 wrote:
    That did occur to me, but all but one of the cars mentioned are firmly in the car-as-appliance bracket. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Anan, its simply an option that might come up in the next few months and I'd like to get people's opinions on what car would be better or worse.

• Advertisement

Anan, its simply an option that might come up in the next few months and I'd like to get people's opinions on what car would be better or worse.
    Sorry, I wrote that before you confirmed that you did, indeed, just want a change. Will you be doing much driving if you do move? If not, how about something a bit older & bigger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭smooth operater

wats your max engine size? buy an older m3......
    If its a problem......go for the hatch focus or a golf/leon.....the newer leons are gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Exactly. Feel like a change. Only reason I bought the Astra was because it was a diesel and economical doing my 80 miles a day to and from work. There's nothing special about the car and nothing special about the inside. Having said that, it's a strong, sturdy car. But I'd like something "nice".

The Focus is lovely. Saloon or hatch though?

I'm looking out the window at the neighbours focus, 06, hatchback, red and with a lovely set of alloys. Particular one is a great looking machine IMO.

edit : If you've got the readies the newer A3s are lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you have access to a decent enough pot so if you're feeling the call of the wild- how about a BMW 3S?

It's not much more commitment than a focus and not much more bling but it's simply a car you can be proud of...

This one's an oilburner aswell http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=658722

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon if you're bored of the Astra, then you'll find yourself in the same situation next year if you buy a Focus/Golf etc. I'd suggest going back a few years and getting something more desirable. (by that I mean a more desirable car, not just badge)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Get an Alfa 147. Out of the three you mentioned I'd go for the Hyundai Coupé. I drive a Focus & it is fantastic, practical, cheap to run and fairly bullit proof, but it is almost as boring to own as a Golf. I really want rid of it, for something with a personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

to be fair, the Coupe doesn't drive that well, bought purely on looks. I think to go back in years the car would have to be either much bigger or much more desirable.

cantdecide wrote:

Looks like a fantastic car. Are BMW's not expensive to repair if parts go?
    Wouldnt go for an Alfa. A friend had 2 of them and had nothing but trouble.

Advertisement