Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair loss - Going Bald - It can be devestating

• 12-09-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everybody,

I am a 22 year old male and I have set up a Bebo page to support baldness. For those of you who do not know its like myspace. I ahve set it up so younger people like myself who suffer or are interested to know more can have a safe non commercial dependant reference for MPB. Its particularly scarce (info) in Ireland, and I found for the last four years I have had a hard time researching.

I have had one surgery and in the lenght of time i researched surgeons etc I discovered pitfalls, regulatory trobles, even scammers and untrustworthys.

All I am saying is that I suffered emotionally for a long time before my op and would like to offer support to those who are going through it and advice even to overcome it...

I need your help to do so..

http://BaldK.bebo.com

Thank you to everyone who reads this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Well for a start I think this post belongs in the personal issues section.

Going bald in your early twenties must suck indeed but honestly mate, I think your taking it to the extreme.

Baldness is a part of the male cycle, yes it would be nice to grow old with a full thick head of hair but it’s not going to happen. (unless your VERY lucky)

If I lost my hair tomorrow (at the tender age of 23) the last thing I’d be thinking about is surgery!
    I’d just shave the rest off and get on with it.
    Being bald doesn’t make you a freak, it’s a perfectly normal part of life for men.

Is it hair replacement surgery you need or maybe a little counselling for your esteem issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

BaldK wrote:
    Hello everybody,

I am a 22 year old male and I have set up a Bebo page to support baldness. For those of you who do not know its like myspace. I ahve set it up so younger people like myself who suffer or are interested to know more can have a safe non commercial dependant reference for MPB. Its particularly scarce (info) in Ireland, and I found for the last four years I have had a hard time researching.

I have had one surgery and in the lenght of time i researched surgeons etc I discovered pitfalls, regulatory trobles, even scammers and untrustworthys.

All I am saying is that I suffered emotionally for a long time before my op and would like to offer support to those who are going through it and advice even to overcome it...

I need your help to do so..

Thank you to everyone who reads this

There are plenty of bald good looking men. I'd have far more respect for someone growing bald gracefully rather than getting surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sobriety

Started to get bald at 21. Started regaine at 22 and got a good boost for a couple of years, but you eventually lose the battle. Tried other lotions and potions.. during this time I discovered hair systems, the type used by celebs such as Ben Affleck, Travolta, Elton John. Best of all, I discovered a place where I could get them at a pretty affordable price, without going to these dodgy rip off salons (who sell you crappy wigs anyway + charge you a fortune for maintenance).

I researched hair systems for a few years (it's a pretty big dicision imo), and then eventually made my big decision to go with a hair system. I've been wearing mine now for nearly 2 years and life has never been better. My hairline is totally exposed (check out recent Elton John photos for an example) and if you get them from the right supplier, you can get them for about 150 yoyos. It takes me about 1.5 hours per week maintenance but it's worth it. My girlfriend spends more time on her hair than I do hehe... it is also totally light, breathable and quite simply looks real (Ben Affleck has one in most movies).

About two months after getting my hair system, I met my girlfriend and now we're together nearly 2 years. I'm not saying looks are everything but .. I had never been in a proper long term relationship and found it difficult to meet women, so "go figure". Hair does make a difference..especially if you have features like mine (hair balances my features and frames my face quite well). After a couple of months I told her about it and she didn't care too much, she actually said "I wish more guys would do that, cos balding really takes away from a guys looks and makes them look older". Without my hair system I look about 35. With it, I like about 24. I can show you photos if you PM me.

If you want to know how my hair looks, it's basically similar to Ben Affleck (who wears a hair system very similar to mine). Sometime I use blonde highlights and I like to play around with it.

It's totally DIY - I do it all myself, and don't pay any of these rip off merchants in the industry (there are lots of them in the hairloss indistry, I wasted a lot of money on lotions and potions, and I know people who have wasted tons of money on dodgy hair systems too). I do my cuts myself, I customise my orders and measurements, I design everthing and they just send me the hair A bind lasts for a full week and weather/tem doesn't affect it.. my girlfriend didn't notice anything for 2 months and she is constantly pulling at my hair and running her hands slowly through every inch of it.

There is a lot of help out there and lots of people who are in the DIY hair system scene helping each other out. I'm not going to post details on a public forum cos I don't want to blow my cover, and we don't want the public to know our secrets.

Just remember, there is no secret way to cure baldness. There are no micacle cures, and there are no specially designed hair matrix, extensions or har grafts, etc.. there is a lot of bull**** in the scene.

Hair system / hair replacement is not perfect, it's not for everyone. It takes 1.5 hours per week, or more if you swim a lot. Somedays it can be a challenge to get it right. But for me, it really is worth it cos I have my hair back and I look the age I should look (I'm 27 now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sobriety

do you not think that you are fighting nature? Being bald is who you are. If your gf does not find you attractive with your natural look then maybe shes not the one for you?

Not really, as far as I'm concerned I've accepted nature - that I'm bald. I'm not trying to fight it anymore, I don't take any drugs, pills or potions, lotions, etc. I'm a baldie and I'm happy with that, and when I take off my hair system - I look in the mirror and I have a little laugh at how different I look without it, but I still accept myself like that.

BUT, I look at wearing the system as a style choice. To me it's almost like putting on a nice cap (which a lot of balding guys seem to do, incidentally!!).

If you lose your two front teeth, what will you do? You will probably pay for the dentist to replce them, right? If you want to make yourself look good, you will wear clothes that make your figure look as good as possible right? You will make the best of yourself as a *styling* choice.

We are only here for a few years, and my head looks pretty ugly without hair - fact. So why not cover it with something that makes the best of what I've already got? I'm not an ugly guy, but without hair, my face just looks *off* somehow, or imbalanced (nose is not in proportion). Also, with a thick head of hair on top, my eyes look brighter and healtheir for some reason (dont' know why). Balding had made me look old and tired. I was amazed at people responses after I got my system; they told me everything from "have you lost weight", to "you look well rested", to "you look younger for some reason, dod you get a new hairstyle". Hair seems to solve all the image problems I'd had in my early 20's, and I'm so glad I made this choice at the age of 25. I'm now 27.

Let me just say one thing; if you saw my before and after photos it would all make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Baldness never stopped Devin Townsend:

SR_worcester02.jpg

So there's no reason it should stop you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement