Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Central and South America

• 12-09-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Me and a friend(both females) are getting a one way ticket to Guatamala and start a year trip around Caribbean,central and south america.does anyone know if we need visas before we go for nearly all these countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

a one way ticket may be a problem.. many tourist visas are based on proof that you will leave within a certain time span. Best ring each embassy in the uk or ireland to see what the requirements are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Cheiftan

Would'nt worry too much about it , I went round Central America , Carribeen St lucia ,Jamiaca , Mexico, Belize,Guatemala,Honduras,Nicaragua, Costa Rica,Panama and the only thing any border guard wanted was proof that you had paid your exit tax.
    Never once was i asked for proof of onward travel , anywhere.
    One word of advice , watch yourself in Guat city, dodgy as fcuk,also Teguicsegalpa (SP) capital of Honduras and Managua capital of Nicaragua, quite possibly the most dodgy places i have ever been , once you get out to the country there ain't a problem.
    Last tip LEARN SPANISH, :D enjoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Use this website.... www dot projectvisa dot com it gives you visa info an every country.

How much money are you planing to save for the trip?? I hope to go to Africa in the next year or so, then hopefully on to S. America. No solid plan so far, need €€€€€ first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I can only speak for South America but you don't need any visas for the countries there. Presuming you're Irish citizens you did need one for Colombia up until March of this year but that's now being dropped too. The only thing I was ever asked for in South America was my passport and exit tax stamp if required, really easy border crossings in most places. Brazil was a bit more teetchy but still no problems just lots of questions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was stopped getting into Costa Rica there 2 weeks ago for not having an onward ticket. I showed them that I had a ticket from Chile - Sydney for next year and that was proof enough that I wasn´t setting up home in Costa Rica. HAven´t needed anything but my passport for the other countries.

And I concur, learn Spanish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement