Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal .ie Domain Names

• 12-09-2007 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Today the Irish Domain Registry ( IEDR ) have finally announced that they will be releasing personal .ie domain names on the 31st October.

What does this mean:

It means that individuals can now register their own names as example www.joebloggs.ie

The registration of personal domain names will be open to all individuals who can authenticate a claim to the domain name and who have a real and substantive connection to the island of Ireland. To authenticate a claim, a copy of an identification document is required, for example an Irish utility bill or driving license

This is just a heads up for everyone, its long overdue, and i do think very important step. Oner thing to note, this will be on a first come first serve basis, so if there are 2 John Smiths out their, who ever gets their application in first with the correct documentation will get the name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kerplunk.

Host.ie wrote:
    Today the Irish Domain Registry ( IEDR ) have finally announced that they will be releasing personal .ie domain names on the 31st October.

QUOTE]

For full IEDR press release please see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Do people know what the cost of registering the .ie? Or will it be the same price as it is now i.e. way too much!

Exactly the same price as any other domain. .ie is still expensive (compared with .com) but 25 euro isnt too bad for a .ie domain.

• Advertisement

Will google still value the .ie more favorably ratings wise? and why the extra cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

GaryCocs wrote:
    Do people know what the cost of registering the .ie? Or will it be the same price as it is now i.e. way too much!

Georgie Casey had a good rundown of the prices on his blog

http://www.georgiecasey.com/2007/09/10/price-comparison-of-ie-domain-name-registrars/

.ie will get you listed on the 'pages from ireland', as will hosting in Ireland. The .ie domain is 'managed' and, generally, consumers tend to 'trust' .ie brands more for local purchases, etc.

Bloody hell what are magnet up to??
    forbairt wrote:
    Georgie Casey had a good rundown of the prices on his blog

http://www.georgiecasey.com/2007/09/10/price-comparison-of-ie-domain-name-registrars/

Hey! 300 euro to reg a .ie and point it at a third party DNS is sweet cash :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I was wondering what you were on about and checked their site ... sweet zombie cheeses ... !!!

I remember someone asking on here how much they could charge to transfer a domain ... before ... I think a LOT if he adopted the magnet way ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I can't believe I missed out on the opportunity to paste the IEDR press release word for word. Oh well, here goes..

http://www.spiralhosting.com/blog/read/47

It will be very interesting to see how well the IEDR can cope with the launch. Even with extra staff and special procedures brought in, I imagine there will still be something for us to complain about.

The relaxation of the registration policy is good news, but people still won't be able to register a domain name for their whole family under this new category. e.g. bloggs.ie
    They'll have to register a different domain for every family member, which isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hopefully it will appease some people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

modata.ie wrote:

Domain Registration Charges

Dot IE www.yourname.ie €100.00 p.a.
    thats excluding VAT!!
    and i know someone who bought two domains... :( hosting was €90 on top.

I could have done it for €100 instead of a ridiculous €300. and you wouldn't mind if the hosting/domain was half decent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

I read somewhere that the cost of .ie from the mothership is €69 plus vat. Is this every year? The wholesale rate or the RRP ? If letshost & hosting365 have reduced their price down to €25 are they taking a hit in the hope that joebloggs.ie will host with them? Why do some resellers only offer .ie for one year and not 4,5 10 etc ?

- Blacknight are you gonna be reducing your prices and offering customers to register for more than 1 year ?

Zakrze wrote:
    - Blacknight are you gonna be reducing your prices and offering customers to register for more than 1 year ?

As soon as the registry supports multi-year registrations we will offer them.

As for pricing - we review pricing on a regular basis and run special offers from time to time. We wouldn't, however, drop our prices as low as some are willing to do until the IEDR reduces our cost - though we might offer reduced rates for a couple of weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

blacknight wrote:
    As soon as the registry supports multi-year registrations we will offer them.

As for pricing - we review pricing on a regular basis and run special offers from time to time. We wouldn't, however, drop our prices as low as some are willing to do until the IEDR reduces our cost - though we might offer reduced rates for a couple of weeks :)

Thanks for very quick reply but how come register365.ie are able to offer multi year registrations then ? I presume you are just been sensible in not engaging in price war just to compete whereas the reality is multi-year registration means little or no profit?

If I wanted to register a .ie domain name for say 5 years costing €129.75 with register365.ie could I then transfer to you to provide my hosting and pay for just the hosting. Would my 5 years be then in credit?

Am I missing something?

If you get a multi-year registration from anyone at the moment its not actually registered with the registry for more than one year.

Hi Zakrze,

You can register for 5 years with us, but it means you will not be able to move the domain name to another provider for that period. You can of course use any DNS servers you wish, and host the domain anywhere you wish.

As soon as the IEDR support multiple year registraton, all prepaid domains will be syncronised with the IEDR.

A lot of the smaller hosting companies make excellent margin from .ie domains (the wholesale rate is 25 euro per year) which they use to subsidise or grow their businesses. Not everyone can afford the 'price war'.

A lot of the smaller hosting companies make excellent margin from .ie domains (the wholesale rate is 25 euro per year) which they use to subsidise or grow their businesses. Not everyone can afford the 'price war'.
    That's amusing coming from you. You only dropped your pricing recently from charging the same as Novara

• Advertisement

We changed our pricing when we launched our new management systems, allowing us a high level of automation and removing the manual labour that had previously been associated with .ie domain application processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Surely there's another host who can post a link to a blog entry? FFS lads, this is a community site, not an advertising facility. If you've something to say, say it, but meaningless pointers to meaningless blog posts (for your own gain, not that of this community) are, well, pointless!

Damien Mulley's blot post was the only link to mention the new formats allowed (e.g. joesoap.ie, jsoap.ie, etc.). Every other link, with the exception of Georgies' price research post, had nothing to offer other than the IEDR press release (and most didn't even point to it).

[EDIT: I meant every link to a host blog, more than Every link, sorry]

Multi-year registrations aren't supported by the registry, so paying for 5 years puts you at the mercy of Company X for 4 years, as well as giving them interest potential on your money. If you have a need to not rely on annual renewals (can't think of any case), then make sure you trust Company X. Hosting 365 have been transparent about this here, but it's not clear at all from their website (Steve, www.websitealive7.com is REALLY slowing down register365 site).

So hosters, in the interests of the community, if you have nothing to say, say nothing. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As for the cheapest? Well that would appear to be iccmhosting.com, but then Lets Host have historically been the cheapest for a while now, and offer a guarantee to beat any price.

But, as the hosters will all plead, it's not just about the base price:
    + Is hosting required, or optional? (Up to you to decide on the quality/value of the hosting separately)
    + Can you use your own name servers? If so, at what charge, and how easy it is to setup/change?
    + Does the price include VAT? (you'd be suprised the number of resellers in blatent breach of the law on this. Usually the small 1/2-man home-based resellers, in fairness to the big hosts, but still!!)
    + What's the price after the 1st year? The dirty little secret of low-cost domain registration!!
    + What additional services are bundled? (e.g. cloaked/uncloacked web forwarding, single email forwarding, catch-all email forwarding, nameserver management, etc.)
    + Can you phone? If so, will the person speak English well enough for you to understand each other? Is it freephone, lo-call, call-save, national, universal, international, premium rate?

Of course these are all questions hosts can answer. A significant proportion of your value evaluation should also be based on personal experience. Have they open forums? Any other users' opinions/reviews (here or any other site)?

Some personal opinions of the "cheap" resellers (as researched by Georgie):
    + Letshost.ie : GOOD: Easy to contact by phone, quick to sort out problem. Cheap as it gets, guaranteed. BAD: Small US-based cPanel resellers, if you're getting hosting, or are concerned about DNS location
    + Hosting 365: GOOD: Big. Independent network/facilities. Phone support. Cheap. BAD: Power issues aside, despite claims to the contrary, I've found their support to be amongst the poorest of the Irish hosts I've had direct experience with.
    + Switch Media: Won't say anything here at the risk of being sued
    + Digiweb: GOOD: Cheap, independent network (if you're hosting), new to the game (digiweb as a host pre-Dan King is just a good joke). BAD: New to the game, so hard to tell yet.
    + Darklite: No personal experience and have read mixed reviews via Google.
    + Blacknight: GOOD: Network in good data centre, great support, open to non-run-of-the-mill stuff. BAD: Now in the mid-tier price bracket, so you'll need to be getting hosting to get value for your domain reg fee.

My recommendation: If you have your own setup / don't need hosting/support (for what it's worth), LetsHost. If you do need hosting, Blacknight (with Hosting 365 not far behind.. but Blacknight's support level beats H365 hands down in my experience).

Tip of the day: Look at renewal price, before committing!

Great post cgarvey, altho I would state that I believe our support levels have been improving in leaps and bounds over the last while. Your experience might be a while ago? We now have over 50 people delivering true 24/7 round the clock support, on email, livechat and freephone, and are working hard to delivery consistently exceptional service.

As for the renewals, we charge the exact same for new reg, renewal and transfers, and don't believe in 'specials' or 'bundles' to give good pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone know if .ie domains can be preregistered for when you can have personal www.firstnamelastname.ie ?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Anyone know if .ie domains can be preregistered for when you can have personal www.firstnamelastname.ie ?
    The IEDR explicitly forbid it.

um, I know Novara already are taking pre-regs.

um, I know Novara already are taking pre-regs.
    They must be using some kind of queue system on their end

We've been looking into something similar.

The problem with queues is that there are ZERO guarantees.

We're now also offering Queue for personal domains. No guarantees, but we will provide an unequivocal refund in full to anyone who is not successful (or allow them to change to another domain combination).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can you give a link to the queue steve?

Advertisement