Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequent BSOD's on startup!! Tried everything! Can't understand the problem..

Options
  • 12-09-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Well recently I have been getting the odd blue screen when I boot up the comp. It happens just before the windows load... No problems when restarting, just when I start up after the systems been off for a period...

Here's what I get..

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Information
    STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000E76C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8205EF27

At first I was afraid that my overclocks were the cause but after bumping up the volts on my quad one notch up to 1.37v and running a full 10 and 1/2 hrs prime I can scratch off the CPU... Completely stable. And I don't think I even needed to bump up the volts cause when I thought that solved it I got another bsod at next startup so I will bring them back down... I also ran Memtest for 11hrs flat - no errors...

I also tried windows repair and it reported no problems with startup...

Anyone have an idea as to what could be the problem?? I want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I think it's related to graphic card drivers. Maby there is a conflict, did you install Beta drivers, or swap the card recently?

EDIT: I get this crash when I die in The Chronicles of Riddick with the latest patch, but everything else is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Offalycool wrote:
    I think it's related to graphic card drivers. Maby there is a conflict, did you install Beta drivers, or swap the card recently?

EDIT: I get this crash when I die in The Chronicles of Riddick with the latest patch, but everything else is fine.
    No I am using official nv drivers (162.22). I didnt mention that I only get the blue screen when starting up the comp. No problems when restarting and it never happens in windows.

raven,

I have tried checking out drivers as described in that link but I just can't get any proper info leading to the culprit. At this stage I think it most likely is a driver issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You wouldn't believe the amount of times ive gotten this.. I have a few reasons to what could causing the problems..

Bad bios flash(which I think I did)

My hdd which I dropped while moving it to add an extra graphics card(read this on some forum while trying to find a solution)

My overclocking on the cpu but its stable so I dont think its that

The games I play like in call of duty when I throw a smoke grenade so thats leads to the drivers which it probably is?

but I havnt gotten any blue screens since I error checked my hdd so maybe try that?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

OKay thanks I will run a chkdsk now then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

takes ages though :mad:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

i'm not technically proficient or anything but my two cents are try and eliminate all possibilities.
    if you have time i'd start by returning everything to default values, see if it happens without the overclock. (maybe the stress test isn't running it as hot as it gets with other stuff, i've noticed before that prime doesn't necessarily burn as much as an *intense* cpu heavy game, so maybe it's running hotter than you think.)
    if it still happens, unless someone with better know-how gives you proper advice, i'd pull everything out, all cards (except video), extra sticks of ram, etc and boot. replace one by one until BSOD happens and that'd be the bastrd that's causing all the grief.
    if it still happens after you've stripped then disable all unnecessary bits and bobs in the bios, ethernet, audio, etc etc...

good luck with it anyway dude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the raven wrote:
    i'm not technically proficient or anything but my two cents are try and eliminate all possibilities.
    if you have time i'd start by returning everything to default values, see if it happens without the overclock. (maybe the stress test isn't running it as hot as it gets with other stuff, i've noticed before that prime doesn't necessarily burn as much as an *intense* cpu heavy game, so maybe it's running hotter than you think.)
    if it still happens, unless someone with better know-how gives you proper advice, i'd pull everything out, all cards (except video), extra sticks of ram, etc and boot. replace one by one until BSOD happens and that'd be the bastrd that's causing all the grief.
    if it still happens after you've stripped then disable all unnecessary bits and bobs in the bios, ethernet, audio, etc etc...

good luck with it anyway dude...

QFT

Very good advice here. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol... i've been plagued by this error for the last week and a half, turned out I needed to install an older set of Vista x64 drivers OTHER than the ones that came with my mobo. All is good now though.

Sad to say it but this is a VERY general error, usually means some hardware setting or driver isn't working correctly. Reset everything to default and try to change as many things off auto in the BIOS as possible. Set the correct timings for your RAM, and set the correct clocks and volts for your CPU. Disable anything you don't need (floppy, COM port, parallel port, firewire...etc) Disconnect everything but the bare essentials to boot the system.

I'd try installing the most up to date drivers for your mobo, failing that boot into DOS and try a BIOS flash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

a friend of a friend who knows this guy who knows this other guy who i have no affiliations with :D had the exact same problem at one stage with a non legit version of vista, specificaly the nvidia chipset drivers conflicted with this program called a "crack"<-- i think this is wat its called :p:D:D , giving this random guy the bsod circle. if u (and i think its wrong to have one, and certainly dont condone it:rolleyes: ) have a non-legit version of vista, and are trying to 'crack' it, that could also be ur problem

lol:D

• Advertisement

using software illegally including a big important OS like windows vista! oh no! perish the thought...

Mines legit I assure you!

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I might have defeated the fuker though! I think running a chkdsk might have done the trick!

Booted it up this morning and no blue screen!! Went straight into windows just fine:) I will switch off and reboot a couple more times later though just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

get a good defrag program to make sure it doesn't happen again and also increase the size of your MFT, give it at least 3 times what Vista gives it.

@sebastianlieken: ixnay on the istavay rackingcay

Thanks for the tip. Used to use O&O Defrag 2000 (freeware) in XP and that was great and very quick with the business. I might track it down again. Just hope it will work with Vista:rolleyes:

A little off topic jump - Havin a hell of a time trying to sell my 19'' LCD on adverts. Don't know whats up! I have it up for a steal and no one interested... And it's not as if it's been a quiet day on adverts..don't understand:( Check it out if youre interested..

Okay and back in again.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

L31mr0d wrote:
    also increase the size of your MFT, give it at least 3 times what Vista gives it.

FAQ :)

Advertisement