Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Pub in Laois?

Options
  • 12-09-2007 6:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Whats yours?

Mine? definitely Morrisieys in Abbeyleix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

are you from abbeyleix, biased maybe.

well, i know i am. my vote goes to purcells in mountrath. fantastic pint of guinness and usually a good chat about sport.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

sme wrote:
    are you from abbeyleix, biased maybe.

No, I'm living in Portarlington. A totally independent point of view
    . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

Peigs (Portlaoise, Main Street), Sunday afternoons when Premier League is on.

peigs???? is that a new pub or an old pub renamed?

i was in portlaoise a couple of days ago and noticed a new pub beside heartbeat city, can't remember the name though. is it this pub?

also, is it the fact that it shows the premiership games that makes it your favourite pub? whats the pints like? is it a good pub for banter while watching games? is it affialiated with any particular team?

answers an a postcard please to: joe duffy @ rte

kikel wrote:
    No, I'm living in Portarlington. A totally independent point of view
    . :D

that was a joke btw.
    although purcells is my local, i do believe that i am impartial about the class of pint it serves, and at the end of the day why else would you frequent a pub?

the only other pub that i have found with a better pint is flory batts in killearney or cleary in rearcross north tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

sme wrote:
    peigs????

Peigs, 89 (or so) Main Street. Opposite to Egan's and Kavanagh's.
    sme wrote:
    noticed a new pub beside heartbeat city

That's different one. It is new (renewed).
    sme wrote:
    is it the fact that it shows the premiership games that makes it your favourite pub? whats the pints like? is it a good pub for banter while watching games? is it affialiated with any particular team?

Depends on what you're looking for in a pub. I'm looking for a game and few drinks. Nice atmosphere, rather quiet, not too many people around allowing rather a fine conversation than shouting one to another etc.

Beer's good, but personally I've never found a pub where the beer wasn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I'm looking for a game and few drinks. Nice atmosphere, rather quiet, not too many people around allowing rather a fine conversation than shouting one to another etc.

QUOTE]

try the anvil on main street portarlington. lovely pub, always a sunday game, very nice clientel.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Sme,
    I know that Mountrath has little to offer in the line of entertainment but Purcells being your favourite bar is a tad sad!
    I appreciate that you must like to chat about sport but I would say that you are a GAA head and would be poor in a conversation about, say, Baseball and Golf.
    The proprietor is very quick to fly off the handle and can be inconsistent in handling certain things. I like the idea of a quality pint but I also like the idea that the barman is gonna be a "one rule for all" man.
    The more I think about it your choice of venue is possibly my least favourite!!
    If you wanted to talk sport and multiple views I would say Toms on the Main street is the place but eh.......... if ye wanna hear about Seamus Darby, The mighty Whelahans etc stay where ye are!!

you are quite correct about the "barmasn" attitude, if you say anything anti-offally you could be easily turfed out as anything else.

as for me being a gaa head moreso the opposite is true. i watch championship and thats it. golf is often a hot topic of converstaion, but baseball? do people that about that anywhere?

as for toms, i dont like the crwod that frequents there. if i was going to another pub it would most likely be eddie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

I could not imagine Johnny Purcell being able to speak or converse with anyone about golf!! I only threw baseball as a typical sport that is not widely spoke about but in a true sports bar there would be someone who could comment.
    Ok I take yer point that the patrons of Toms may not be the Mae West by times but the crack is usually good there. I would agree that Eddie runs as good a show as anybody and it is a fine bar for a scoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

kikel wrote:
    Whats yours?

Mine? definitely Morrisieys in Abbeyleix

This is true Morriseys is lovely, i dunno if i have a favourite, The After Dark in Portarlington is a good spot when its not jammered!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Steve_o wrote:
    This is true Morriseys is lovely, i dunno if i have a favourite, The After Dark in Portarlington is a good spot when its not jammered!!!

Nice spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ILTS

I like the Thatch in Killenard, but only when there isn't loud music. Very relaxing, and lovely place to sit and chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cormster

Sheerans in Coolrain is a favourite for me.
    Also at a push, Bergins in Camross - if only because its the most local to the family place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Why not list your favourite Pubs by town?

Town:
    Pub:
    Pint:
    Barman:
    Crowd:
    Cleanliness:

i.e.

Town: ABBEYLEIX
    Pub: MORRISSEYS
    Pint: 80%
    Barman: No Comment
    Crowd: Older
    Cleanliness: Poor/Average

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Is there not a website called www.ratemypub.ie for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pjamas

TOWN---- portarlington

PUB---- the anvil inn

PINT---- 3.75euro

BARMAIDS--- useless but easy on the eye

CROWD
    young and old

CLEANLINESS ---- not bad. atmosphere more than makes up for it.

i find that if you rate your locals on such a basic scale that you are losing the whole essence of this thread, which is your fav pub, not your name a pub and pub spy it. there are so many things about a local that can't be quantified, so let the suggestions continue. i'm still sticking with purcells, it just works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Fisherman’s Inn, ftw :)

A little bit off the beaten track on a small road out south from Ballybrittas, beside the canal. Well worth a look if you dont already know it - and not many do ;)

From the net -
    The Fisherman’s Inn is a 300 year old thatched Public house including mud walls. Irish nights are Thursday & Sunday night. Set-Dancing Thursday night. Traditional/Folk night – Sunday night. Tel: 057 86 – 26488

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

Being from Portlaoise we're lucky to have few good pubs.Lots of choice the new Peigs in top square is excellent, Grellan Delaneys is best around at weekends but overall Kavanaghs would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Baby-sauce

i like pub in port continental. it's not very big pub but it's good tho..my favorite..Continental for life! hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭smellyanus

TheKid wrote: »
    Being from Portlaoise we're lucky to have few good pubs.Lots of choice the new Peigs in top square is excellent, Grellan Delaneys is best around at weekends but overall Kavanaghs would be best.

Whats so good about the new peigs?
    Its the exact same as it always has been. Same decor and the same people in the same seats as it had 10 years ago. Only diffrence is its not called Billy Dees anymore :confused:

I do spend most of my nights in portlaoise in kavanaghs though.
    Honorable mentions to lethean and coppers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,464 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Town: PORTARLINGTON
    Pub: PINTOPORT
    Pint: GUINESS 100% (best in town)
    Barman: Professional
    Crowd: Old but great craic
    Cleanliness: 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Town: PORTARLINGTON
    Pub: PINTOPORT
    Pint: GUINESS 100% (best in town)
    Barman: Professional
    Crowd: Old but great craic
    Cleanliness: 90%

Have you treid Paddy Finlays for a pint of the black stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Dunnes in Stradbally, so many memories of trips home from GAA games!

stevoman wrote: »
    Have you treid Paddy Finlays for a pint of the black stuff?

yeah, also very good..... but more remakable there is the care and attention the put when pulling pints of lager and ale.. they let it settle and ensure a raised creamy head.... top class.....

the atmosphere is always a bit subdued for me though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

did ye ever try mick finlays on bracklone street now in my mind thats where you get in the best pint in the town of any kind

ports best wrote: »
    did ye ever try mick finlays on bracklone street now in my mind thats where you get in the best pint in the town of any kind

oops... thanks PB..

it was Mick finlays i was referring to.... not paddys....

i dont frequent (?) paddys.... havent had a drink in there since the day i did my leaving..... dont really know why....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

once in a blue moon id be in paddys, micks i would go to now and again, just for the pint of carlsberg tis like mammys milk:D, and also to play snooker in the back part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Town: Portarlington
    Pub: The Anvil Inn
    Pint: 80%
    Barman: Not Bad
    Crowd: Mixture
    Cleanliness: Good

Advertisement