Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Cannot access Newsgroups (BT broadband using Comodo firewall & using GrabIt)

Options
  • 12-09-2007 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to download from Newsgroups using GrabIt on my sister's laptop but it just refuses to connect... I'm pretty sure I've set everything correctly which leads me to believe the problem might be due to the fact that she has a BT connection...

Do BT restrict access to Newsgroups?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

No problem here using BT & Easynews. Can also connect to Astraweb's newsgroup server and have been doing so for the past 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks for your reply kmurph!

I wonder what the problem could be... I'm sure my username and password are correct and I know it's not Comoo firewall blockig GrabIt as I get the same error message when I disable it...

Anybody got any ideas as to what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just double check your settings

the server address is usually smething like "news.isp.com"
    are you using the right port Newsgroups use the port 119 by default or 563 for ssl connections.

is there a status window that will tell you the exact error?

I've been using newsgroups for a few years now on various different ISP's and never had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi Stokolan,

You were right! My settings were wrong... I replaced the "news." in the server address by "www." for some reason... :confused:

All wrking perfectly now! ;)

Thanks a million!

Advertisement