Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the winning entry is... Newgate Centre

• 12-09-2007 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Waterford Today have on their front page that the name of the new shopping centre will be the "Newgate Centre".

Wouldn't have been my choice of name (mainly I admit since I didn't think of it :D ), but I have to say I think it's good... at least it has a link with the area.

Far better than "City Square" or the dreadful "Brewery". Good move.

Now, get the bloody thing built!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's the winning entry? They really had to get their thinking cap on come up with a gem like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you build it they will come:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I didn't win :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

My entry was "Rice Plaza" as Ignatus Rice's & founder of the Christian Brothers first school was where 8 & 9 New Street are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote:
    My entry was "Rice Plaza" as Ignatus Rice's & founder of the Christian Brothers first school was where 8 & 9 New Street are now.

That was quite a good name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

That's a great name as it has some local history behind it and it has quite a nice metropolitan type ring to it! Newgate centre is a grand name I supoose but it's a tad bland for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I think it was a foregone conclusion that the centre would have the name Newgate in it.

If only we could bet them to change the name of City (blandest name ever) Square now we might be getting somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mad man wrote:
    If only we could bet them to change the name of City (blandest name ever) Square now we might be getting somewhere.

There used to be a place, before your time or mine down in High Street or Peter Street, called the Butter Market.

I always thought City Square should have used that name instead. I suppose back in 1993 it would have sounded boggerish and not very "modern". Today though with all the vogue for farmers' markets and stuff, it would make a fine sounding name for a shopping location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

fricatus wrote:
    There used to be a place, before your time or mine down in High Street or Peter Street, called the Butter Market.

I always thought City Square should have used that name instead. I suppose back in 1993 it would have sounded boggerish and not very "modern". Today though with all the vogue for farmers' markets and stuff, it would make a fine sounding name for a shopping location.

I didn't know this.It would have been a good name.There was a lot of stuff down here back in the the day and it would have been almost equal to Broad St.I think a refurbishment of City Square is not too far off as its starting to look a bit tired and is almost 15 years old.Maybe they can turn it into something it could/Should have been.

Advertisement