Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernian Life delaying payout

Options
  • 12-09-2007 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had experience of Hibernian Life finding any reason under the sun to delay paying out on Life Insurance Policies?. I'm involved in executing a will where they seem to be doing everything possible to avoid/delay paying out. Is this typical?, How long do they keep it up for ?

Thanks,
    OJ

Comments

You're going to hvae to elaborate a little bit more OJ.

Normally what happens is that they will require a Death Cert, Birth Cert, Policy Document and a Grant of Probate.

Have all these been submitted?

Their service is struggling but this does not excuse sloppy work while handling such a sensitive matter, as a death claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ordinary Joe

Hi,
    All documents have been submitted, Grant of Probate was issued almost 2 years ago. The individual involved died of Cancer in their 40's. The last 2 years have been a long list of queries to doctors, hospitals etc., all of which have been sufficient for everybody else involved except Hibernian who are now serving FoI notices on everybody involved. I don't have an issue with that, but why have they waited 2 years !!!
    OJ

Have you got any correspondence from them that would give any indication as to why iy has taken so long?

Were you dealing dirtectly with them or was there an intermediary/solicitor acting on behalf of the executors?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ordinary Joe

No we've got no indication other than the solicitor's opinion that it could be because the person died of Cancer at a young age (40's). The solicitor has been dealing with it and indicates that its not the first time these guys have taken a long time to handle things.

I'm just getting tired of it never being finished and checking if the experience is part of a systematic approach to delaying payout or specific to this case. I see ad's on TV for the financial services regulator, do they have oversight of the Life Inssurance industry as well?
    OJ

This http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=96&pID=147&nID=393&aID=0 is a link to the route that you would have to take to formally complain.

It does seem like a long time to deal with a claim.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement