Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat litter

Options
  • 12-09-2007 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I empty out the litter tray everyday and top it up occasionally. Can I continue to do this indefinitely (the topping up bit) or will I have to throw out the whole lot at some stage and start afresh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The general advice is to throw everything out every now and then (how often depends on the litter type), and give the box a good clean and disinfection.

I use wood chip litter and I do this at least once a week. Maybe with clumping litter you could get away with doing it less often as it is probably more absorbant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

again depending on the litter type, you will have to do a full clean out at least every two weeks, if not more often.
    Problem is that you won't be able to get all the soaked litter out with the "top-up" method, and it will start to smell...

Use boiling water to clean out the tray - some disinfectants have a nasty smell, and might cause the cats not to use the tray anymore...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

And of course, the very instant you put the nice clean tray back down, the cat rushes in to make a new stinky!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

with the cheap tesco and lidl fullers earth litter I would have to throw out and disinfect every 4 days, but I found that with husse clumping litter everything sticks together and I only have to disinfect every 2-3 weeks. All depends on the brand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

I've never found litter trays to be pracitable. Hav a boxed-off area out the back with a solid soil base and bout 2 inchs of sand , or even grass cuttings. The cat will pile her mess into neat little piles that you can then remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

with the cheap tesco and lidl fullers earth litter I would have to throw out and disinfect every 4 days, but I found that with husse clumping litter everything sticks together and I only have to disinfect every 2-3 weeks. All depends on the brand :)

Stick to this advice, it's exactly what I was going to say.

Advertisement