Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista in Quinn

Options
  • 12-09-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Will ILTG register your computer for use on the wired network in Quinn with Vista?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Apparently not no! It's for this very reason that I, as a Comp. Sci student, am putting XP onto my friends laptop as a dual-boot. Apparently they don't allow Vista, why I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

What? Are you sure about that? Thats bloody rediculous, most computers sold in the last month or two are all Vista surely? I dont want to have to go to the hassle of formatting and all that ****e just for UCD being too stubburn to keep up with things, theyll have to support Vista soon wont they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Simple enough reason, iprint isn't compatible with IE7 and vista, same with a few other applications so any quinn laptops, actually any of the laptops from the ucd offer don't have vista.

Apparently they're still working on the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

yeah ILTG are absolute (not helpful people kinda). I got a new laptop there myself the other day. Vista will work on Network but you just wont be able to print. ILTG wont put you on the network though as theyve sworn an oath of allegiance to Queen Dell/XP- go down to any of the IT centres (i suggest first floor Arts Block) and theyll sort ya out and get ya on the network

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

All brings the question why UCD insist on iPrint when they could set up their printers as Windows Shared printers and make life easier for everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Tá M&#233 wrote: »
    yeah ILTG are absolute (not helpful people kinda). I got a new laptop there myself the other day. Vista will work on Network but you just wont be able to print. ILTG wont put you on the network though as theyve sworn an oath of allegiance to Queen Dell/XP- go down to any of the IT centres (i suggest first floor Arts Block) and theyll sort ya out and get ya on the network

I like the IT guys. The deal is that Dell have a contract with the Quinn school - worth around half a mil if you bounce some figures around your head. So ILTG in Quinn are hired to maintain the network and carry out repairs with a strict view to Dell machines; non-vendor laptop maintenance is outsourced. They recommend XP because as of now it's a much more stable system. And because far more of the Quinn students have XP they're catering for the masses. IE7 isn't supported on the network, try it even with an XP machine. It runs so slowly.

Slow running is not IE7's fault, though it probably is more bloated if recent Microsoft Developments are anything to go buy. I certainly have no problem with it here on my office PC in UCD (I primarily use Firefox though).

The fact remains that having a network that's not overly concerned by the OS running on the pc's is always the best option - iPrint is an annoying piece of kit at the best of times and should be replaced by normal shared print queues that everyone can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

And because far more of the Quinn students have XP they're catering for the masses.
    I doubt its cos they are catering for the masses, this would be fairly silly seeing as it's best to get to grips with daily user problems of a new system while the uptake count is still fairly low. Although maybe that's just too sensible for UCD.
    What i would imagine is that they dont support it because of things like i-print etc (as has been said). Wouldn't look very professional if they supported a system that didn't work fully on the network although not having found a solution for it already isn't exactly professional either seeing as everyone and their dog knew vista was coming.

IE7 seems to be installed on the computers in the 3rd yr science labs, least the few i've been on and runs without a problem (just like my experiences in work). As for vista not being stable..well i guess we'll just have to disagree. I've been using it for over a year now without a single blue screen or major problem that wasn't 3rd party driver related (which also haven't happened since official release). Given the choice i'd drop XP without a seconds thought.

I'd also like to add that I actaually got my laptop from Dell and its got Vista on it, cheers UCD as useful as ever :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jimmy_Bloggs

ILTG are wrong about not registering Vista laptops, they have their
    wires crossed.
    The problems with Vista, is there there is no Novell Client for it, and
    as was said before IPrint will not work yet. Main problem is alot of
    testing has to be done, to support Vista would mean giving users access
    to the hundreds of applications available through UCD....all of which
    would have to be made Vista compatible.

IE7 Problems, again relating to Novell, there was a problem loading NAL
    (Network Application Launcher) when IE7 was installed. As far as i know
    there is no problems using it now, it works with everything including
    UCD Connect/SIS/IPrint etc. IE7 was a problem when it first came out.

You can pop into any of the IT Centres and get your laptops registered,
    its not a big deal.
    The fact remains that having a network that's not overly
    concerned by the OS running on the pc's is always the best option

There is no issue about the OS you are using on the network, people run
    linux/osx/vista/xp/2k/98.....but only some of the OS are compatible with
    the Novell Client (Which means you get the network drives/H Drive , NAL
    Applications).
    iPrint is an annoying piece of kit at the best of times and
    should be replaced by normal shared print queues that everyone can
    use.

Im sure there is a reason for not using MS Shared printers, possibly
    because there are 20,000+ students/staff members to deal with, which
    means 20,000+ printing accounts.
    Also im sure IPrint helps with the management of printers, changing
    settings/checking which ones are active/out of paper etc.
    Nevermind the security issues.
    Can you imagine how many printers there are around campus? There must be
    hundreds.....

You really have to look at the full picture and not what would just suit
    you.....

Your super helpful not trying to be smart postgrad.

• Advertisement

Excuse me, your post made sense until you decided to have a go at me at the end. Of course I'm 'smart' - you get to know the UCD computer network quite well in four years! I could go and back up my technical opinions if I wanted to but I think it would probably bore the people here if I did. Can you back up your points there? The only real reason we're using Novell's stuff is that there's a huge legacy of it here and it is pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

ILTG are wrong about not registering Vista laptops, they have their
    wires crossed.

ILTG are not the computer centre, they are part of an academic school. Their role is support for that schools courses, not registering computers for operating systems that are not used in business school courses. Should the School of History register your computer?
    You can pop into any of the IT Centres and get your laptops registered,
    its not a big deal.

Exactly.

Excuse me, your post made sense until you decided to have a go at me at the end. Of course I'm 'smart' - you get to know the UCD computer network quite well in four years!

Was actually talking about myself there, but go you for being 'smart' aswell. :D
    ILTG are not the computer centre, they are part of an academic school. Their role is support for that schools courses, not registering computers for operating systems that are not used in business school courses. Should the School of History register your computer?

Well last time i checked the School of History didnt have an IT Dept so no i wouldnt try there. But if the School of History had a dedicated IT group then yeah i would use them.
    Last time i checked ILTG would register computers for the UCD Network.....the exact same network everyone else uses, and the exact same network that the IT Centres/Computer centre would put you on.
    I dont see how different rules can apply, wouldnt it be up to the people in the managing the network as to what machines are allowed on? And the last time i checked that was done by the computer centre people ILTG/IT Centres just submit the details online......

Id love to hear the official word on it.......by any chance do you work for the ILTG mr.Ucdperson and could you let us know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sligger

Well I'm a 3rd year commerce student and there is a big difference between using your laptop for your own personnel use and using it in Quinn.
    The easiest way I can explain it is that if you have ever gone on an IT training course and sat in front of a PC,one half of the computers are not windows XP and the other half windows vista, with different versions of Office with the trainer calling out the different ways of doing things depending on what mix you have....its not practical! In Quinn we learn as part of our core modules how to use business tools - such as Office, training courses would not be possible if everyone had different os & different office. Don’t be the guy with the laptop having problems during your weekly online mcqs!
    One of my classmates wanted to use his mac book, I mean seriously, the fundamental reason for Quinn having laptops is to ensure when we leave college and get a job(hopefully!) we will be able to use the tools of our trade and that for good or bad is Microsoft tools. Unless your in graphic design company, you ain't going to be using apple mac when you go into business!
    BTW - i dont use IPRINT or Novell in Quinn!
    Finally I have a dell laptop from Quinn, I've had 1 hardware issue, which I called into ILTG and they fixed it within less then 24 hrs, slightly better then my mates toshiba, that took 3 months!

I went into Daedulus today and was told by the guy there I wouldnt need to setup anything to use the UCD network, that my laptop would auto detect settings...which seems to go completely against everything in this thread, was he just talking shite to get rid of me on a friday afternoon?

I went into Daedulus today and was told by the guy there I wouldnt need to setup anything to use the UCD network, that my laptop would auto detect settings...which seems to go completely against everything in this thread, was he just talking ****e to get rid of me on a friday afternoon?

Thats the case for wireless. It is open access so everyone can connect, you just have to set your web browser to auto detect the proxies...and obviously tell your laptop to connect to the wireless network.

The thread is about registering for the UCD Wired network, so you can plug in a cable and access the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

I dont see how different rules can apply, wouldnt it be up to the people in the managing the network as to what machines are allowed on?

I don't work for ILTG and I don't know whether they register machines or not. My point is that there will exist a configuration which the business school uses in its classes. This will be a subset of all configurations out there, no PDAs, no Macs, no Linux, even no Vista. If you head to the ILTG and say "I want to get my machine working for Commerce classes", then they will help you. If you go along with a configuration which is no use for Commerce classes then they will not help you with work with that, but this may still be a configuration that UCD Computer Centre will register on the network and all you have to do is go to the computer centre to get that done.

The School decides what will work for its classes and its people help out with that and the computer centre sets policies across the university for all types of applications and machines.

Whatever about telling the user that their laptop is not suitable for some business classes due to the OS, telling them they cant be on the network is a totally different issue.

I would have imagined that they should make their best efforts to help out students, thats what they are getting paid for. If a student has a vista laptop they should still be able to use it for internet access. If they can register XP laptops then there is no difference for them to register/setup a Vista laptop.
    If they tell people sorry we cant set you up for internet access because you have Vista but you can go to one of the IT Centres and they will do it then thats fine.
    If they are giving people the impression that vista is not allowed on the network/wont work for internet access then thats wrong.

I thought ILTG were there as Quinn IT Support,similar to an IT Centre (except specific to Quinn)?

Advertisement