Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Broadband??

• 12-09-2007 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Just heard about this company, need to get broadband soon, living in Rathangan area. Has anyone had any dealings with them and are they any good?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you have a phone line DSL is the best bet, the Rathangan exchange is enabled, I am on it myself.
    For wireless the choices include alternativeBB from redhills, Leinster broadband from Dunmurry or Callidus from grange hill. Some people I know have Leinster and their feeling is rhats its Ok but not brilliant and they would be light users.
    Both voda and 3 have 3G services but anyone I know who trialled 3 sent it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Nice one, cheers,
    yeh unfortunately a phone line isnt an option, and i've heard enough about 3 to give it a miss. Going by the poll in this section, ICE is no better. Vodafone seems expensive for a 5Gig limit & O2 wouldnt connect when we tried it, despite help from the call centre. I'll look into those others you mentioned
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

AFAIK the nearest O2 3G mast is in Allenwood, I have a O2 n70 and it does occasionally pick up a 3G signal but generally when I have LOS in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mac07041970

I have been with Leinster Broadband for almost 2 years mainly because they were the only ISP to cover my area, the thing is when i first got it installed the service was excellent, after 3 to 4 months this changed, every day they have some sort of problem, service stops, they never ring to explain the problem, i ring them, i get the run around, they promise to call back in the next hour or so, they don't, i call again, they treat me like I'm some f*****g idiot that doesn't know what I'm talking about, i reported them to com reg, service was excellent again and now i find I'm back to square 1, i recommend to Leinster Broadband to get their fingers out of their a***s and supply the service i pay for because with our economic climate the way it is you should try keep all the business you have and with more and more ISP's coming on line my choices are no longer limited. I will again report this to Reg com and bring you to court for NOT providing the service than you promised and what i pay for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lol mac, your post cracked me up.

I have had two clients with them, both of whom I moved on to different services. And what you say is very familiar, you always have to chase them, never return calls. After you make a serious complaint, it all magically starts working again for another few days. I managed to get the two other people onto something more stable. Where exactly are you and I may be able to suggest something?

• Advertisement

I have contacted ICE Broadband to see what they have on offer.. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dont go with ice, seriously!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

nuxxx wrote: »
    Dont go with ice, seriously!

ICE = Frying Pan > Fire experience .

Ah don't say that, they can't be as bad as Leinster Broadband, thing is i paid close to €200 getting in Leinster and times the way they are I can't afford anything else, Ice give free installation for a 2 year contract. any recommendations then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

. any recommendations then?

Will you read this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114497

It is sticky no. 4 here on the broadband forums and I'd say you won't be committing for 2 years with the experience these people have.

/Martin

• Advertisement

Any suggestions from anyone.. i'm limited because i live in the country.

Thanks Marlow, that was a great info..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

"the country" is a vague term and there are dozens of Isp's that only do small areas, if you said where you are based people might actually be able to give recommendations.

Any suggestions from anyone.. i'm limited because i live in the country.

I'm in Mountrice area of Monasterevin, well for the next month anyway. Just up the road from Rathangan and I use a Three mobile broadband connection. It's not perfect, but if you have no other option it may be worth considering. You do get 14 days to test it and fire it back to them if it doesn't work.

You will usually get good reception in at least one area (i.e. with the thing stuck to one of the windows) of the house.

Thanks Jonahton, i might give it a try,
    To SmellsLikeShoes, i didn't really want to say exactly where but i'm around the Athy Co Kildare Area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

Now that you've said whereabouts you are you could try this lot.

http://www.ninetreehill.net/

Some folks I know using the service and it seems ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thanks Jonahton, i might give it a try,
    To SmellsLikeShoes, i didn't really want to say exactly where but i'm around the Athy Co Kildare Area.
    Obviously I wasn't asking you to give your exact address, phone number and signed photo of yourself but if you want help finding broadband in a rural area where the national companies aren't servicing you need to give a rough area, and to expect people to be able to help you without is absurd.

Athy is a little north of what I would know well but I'm pretty sure Ominitel have some amount of coverage up there, not sure of their quality or anything though.

I tried that smellyshoes, they have a 3km radius from live station closest to me and i'm 5km away, i had a tech down from Leinster Broadband, big improvement on the service now, i just hope it lasts..

411626060.png
    With Broadband Running on 2 other pc's in the house

411346395.png
    Broadband running on just my pc

410515367.png
    A previous result

I spoke to soon, although my pc was shown an internet connection anytime i tried to log on i got, Explorer cannot display this page, i just about got a chance to do a speed test,

412914472.png

Think it's time to go legal with this problem..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Muller42 banned for 3 months and infracted for well out of order comments, post deleted!

• Advertisement

Ok all, Leinster have finally sorted out the problem, for the last few months it has been going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Ok all, Leinster have finally sorted out the problem, for the last few months it has been going well.

Well time has indeed passed and are you still with Leinster BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pjc9351

I have been with Leinster Broadband for almost 2 years mainly because they were the only ISP to cover my area, the thing is when i first got it installed the service was excellent, after 3 to 4 months this changed, every day they have some sort of problem, service stops, they never ring to explain the problem, i ring them, i get the run around, they promise to call back in the next hour or so, they don't, i call again, they treat me like I'm some f*****g idiot that doesn't know what I'm talking about, i reported them to com reg, service was excellent again and now i find I'm back to square 1, i recommend to Leinster Broadband to get their fingers out of their a***s and supply the service i pay for because with our economic climate the way it is you should try keep all the business you have and with more and more ISP's coming on line my choices are no longer limited. I will again report this to Reg com and bring you to court for NOT providing the service than you promised and what i pay for..
    Leinster Broadband
    I am also having nothing but trouble and total frustration with this company. They are totally unprofessional and DO NOT provide a reliable service for which we pay.
    My wife and I are self-employed and work from our home and are totally dependant on broadband service for the success of our businesses. We are at our wits-end with this company and if we dont find a solution soon we will be in serious trouble.
    Would welcome other comments etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ripplecom are also active in their area, having bought ICE recently, dunno if that is any good as I have no idea where you actually are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ripplecom are good and they have taken over ice,friend of mine has Ripplecom,(he can't get anything where he lives) and hasn't had a problem with them,consistent speed and unlimited downloads and uploads with low contention.Best of the bunch in your area imo.

pjc9351 wrote: »
    Leinster Broadband. I am also having nothing but trouble and total frustration with this company. They are totally unprofessional and DO NOT provide a reliable service for which we pay. My wife and I are self-employed and work from our home and are totally dependant on broadband service for the success of our businesses. We are at our wits-end with this company and if we dont find a solution soon we will be in serious trouble. Would welcome other comments etc

When you say home, what area are you in, pjc. Might be able to evaluate a better solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pjc9351

We live in the Allenwood/Kilmeague area.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    PJC

pjc9351 wrote: »
    We live in the Allenwood/Kilmeague area.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PJC

I had another client in Allenwood, on the other side of the dodgy bridge on the Lullymore road.. They had LB as well, and had quite a few problems.. Apparently they have a lot of problems with people breaking their transmitters!

I recommended a 3G solution for this guy, BUT he was not running his business from home.. I wouldnt recommend anything other than bband through the phone line for a business... I assume that you have have got Eircom to test your line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tony Mc Glynn

lol mac, your post cracked me up.

I have had two clients with them, both of whom I moved on to different services. And what you say is very familiar, you always have to chase them, never return calls. After you make a serious complaint, it all magically starts working again for another few days. I managed to get the two other people onto something more stable. Where exactly are you and I may be able to suggest something?
    hi can you help me i need broadband had leinster but service is gone and there phone disconected i live in bohergoy suncroft curragh phone line not a option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

hi all,

sorry for draging up an old post bt may be living in rathangan soon and wanted to find out what the current options were for bb. bonkers.ie are showing up quite a few options- smart, digiweb, eircom, etc but I cant imagine all these are available Phone line is an option so is eircom the best bet?

I plan to be a heavy enough bb user, with a couple of laptops and phone and using a wireless network for streaming music and other files.

any help appreciated

Advertisement