Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland Beat France!

• 12-09-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Now here's a team that I hope that qualify for the Euro Championships. A great performance tonight beating France in Paris 1-0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nothing but a bunch of welders tbh.

Welders and mechanics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

fair play to them, in paris aswel

better than our shower of sh*tes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

DesF wrote:

Welders and mechanics.

Must be pretty good welders and mechanics to be top of a group with Italy, France and Ukraine. Maybe we should look for a new chief welder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well done to them. This is what can happen when you have a manager who knows his best XI, knows how to organise a team and who has a Plan B when needed.

Bearing in mind the mess they were in with Berti Vogts, maybe there's still hope for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Top of their group ahead of both the World Cup finalists.
    Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

scotland are what ireland would be like if they had a decent manager and a decent FA behind them.

fair play to them though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ziggy67 wrote:
    It was an in-joke from the Czech V Ireland thread

Oh right, I've avoided that thread for fear the fashion police will give out about the Celtic shirts again rather than the fact we're out of Europe because of a poor manager. Again. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well done Scotland.

Shame that their massive feat gets relegated to the periphery on the British Broadcasting Company's website so that England's incredible victory over mighty Russia at Wembley can take centre stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Par for the course and has been happening like that for years and years on all the British channels.

Anyway, what a result. The group of death looks very pretty at the moment for Scotland although they still have a lot to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

super result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Not long ago the Scottish football team were something of a shambles. Same with Norn Iron, though they had a harsh loss tonight. Hope for us all.

Except Wales, they will never amount to anything. Poor souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's the main story on the bbc sports pages at the moment?!

Also, tv wise, BBC scotland will be covering it in depth, just like we're covering Ireland/Czech here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

DesF wrote:

Welders and mechanics.
    Luckily they had James McFadden, who plays in the premiership to win the game for them.

I wonder will we see Alex McLeish pretending he had anything to do with the result, as obviously he could have put out any team or formation or tactics and the clearly superior Scottish players would have rightly beaten the decidedly average French, whose manager could do nothing with the absolute muck he has to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Cremo wrote:
    scotland are what ireland would be like if they had a decent manager and a decent FA behind them.

fair play to them though.

and a well supported domestic league. and youth systems designed to retain players. and state of the art training facilities. and stadia that can get built without the shinty guys going to court. and no-one in the SFA works as agents or scouts for foreign clubs.

a lot more too it than just a comeptent manager. but that would be a start

Well done Scotland.

Shame that their massive feat gets relegated to the periphery on the British Broadcasting Company's website so that England's incredible victory over mighty Russia at Wembley can take centre stage.

what do you expect, its an english web site, if i was in england id want to england instead of scotland???? would rte cover northern irelands win on there front page or the republics win???

What a pointless statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

AdrianII wrote:
    what do you expect, its an english web site, if i was in england id want to england instead of scotland???? would rte cover northern irelands win on there front page or the republics win???

What a pointless statement
    its not english its british, britain consists of more than just england

what a pointless statement

oh yeah, but england makes up 80% of britian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

PauloMN wrote:
    Oh right, I've avoided that thread for fear the fashion police will give out about the Celtic shirts again rather than the fact we're out of Europe because of a poor manager. Again. :(

No doubt all those Scots at the Ireland game in Prague were cheered up when they heard the result from Paris. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

PauloMN wrote:

Well said mate, very well said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

one thing's for certain, they wouldn't have beaten france if they had aiden mc****ing geady playing for them...

I suspect that a decent manager would not pick players who are not performing for them therefore McGeady would probably have not played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What a ****in result eh? Looks like i timed my move back to glasgow fairly well...the city was absolutely bouncing last night (in a scottish way ;)).
    Two wins against the world cup finalists in qualifying...unbelievable considering the position we were in just a couple of seasons ago.

Did anyone spot the French player (I think it was trezeguet) almost in tears after Scotland scored?
    Now all we need is reults against Georgia and the Ukraine....oh yeah and italy...Christ it still doesnt look easy does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mmmm. Didn't expect that result at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and a well supported domestic league. and youth systems designed to retain players. and state of the art training facilities. and stadia that can get built without the shinty guys going to court. and no-one in the SFA works as agents or scouts for foreign clubs.

a lot more too it than just a comeptent manager. but that would be a start
    Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

wey hey!!! :)

well theres a turn up for the books eh? home and away...

who was it that questioned whether McLeish would takecredit for it? Thats a pretty dour thing to be saying - 11 guys on the pitch didnt just magic up a win there, its a lot bigger than them and the manager. They won because they A) didnt concede - thanks to the solid defense (celtic captain and rangers Weir at the back), and B) they scored because McLeish picked faddy over Boyd - he felt the extra mobility in Faddy and his attitude to "trying things like that" would possibly pose a threat to the french. Id say thats got a lot to do with Big Eck.

Anyway well done to the Scots, thank christ my nerves can have a break..... until we face the Ukraine that is.

I was hoping that the mcLiesh comments were sarcasm....

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    Your talking nonsense, its a BRITISH site.

read the post after my post, its already been pointed out - drama queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Eirebear wrote:
    I was hoping that the mcLiesh comments were sarcasm....

Aye pretty sure it was sarcastic alright, and a sly dig at Kdjacl after his going a little nuts last night with some crazy comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Well done Scotland.

Sky news billed it as the "performance of the evening" and from what i saw of BBC news they said exactly the same and heaped tons of praise on scotland. England just happens to have a population of 50 million odd whereas scotland has a population of around 5 million.
    The media will cater for the story they believe will get the highest viewing figures and which also goes towards their demographic.
    BBC Scotland no doubt had the match as their big story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cracking goal too. The Scots should be very proud of themselves, to top a group with both of the World Cup finalists is an amazing achievement. Lets hope it continues.

Also, why are people moaning about BBC? Its the main story on their site at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

James McFadden really does score some savage goals! Thats 2 great ones in a week for him. Scored one of my favourites from last year too when he flicked it over the defenders head and took it on the volley.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    James McFadden really does score some savage goals! Thats 2 great ones in a week for him. Scored one of my favourites from last year too when he flicked it over the defenders head and took it on the volley.

Seriously good player, who hasn't really done it for Everton on a consistent basis. I saw him for Everton at the Carlisle Grounds against Bray about three years back and he scored two and made another two, one of the best individual performances I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

its a shame he hasnt gotten his game regularly as hes certainly no worse than a lot of the middle premiership players getting their game week in week out. Maybe thats stunted him a little, who knows, but its good to see him coming into the squadafter something like 130 minutes of football since last season, and belting in two crackers!

Lad needs his game though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

When he moved south, I thought he was going to be the player Drunken Duncan should've been.
    Time yet, but he does need regular games.
    Wonder if he should've gone to either of the Old Firm for a couple of years before trying engerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think Newcastle should buy him, I think he would suit them.

Scotland will NOT qualify...I guarentee that.

They will draw with Georgia, lose to Ukraine, and lose to Italy.

I think Newcastle should buy him, I think he would suit them.

Scotland will NOT qualify...I guarentee that.

They will draw with Georgia, lose to Ukraine, and lose to Italy.
    I'm sure you would have predicted a scoreline different to last nights. I wouldn't write them off like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well yeah, but I predicted the same sort of match. Typical France. Israel drew with them at home, we drew with them at home, I think Cyprus nearly drew with them at home.

• Advertisement

Aye....but we BEAT them home and away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

evil_seed wrote:
    Haha that is classic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats that about?

Stekelly wrote:
    Whats that about?

Its Trezeguet taunting Caldwell from when they were 4-0 up a few years back.

His uppance has come, twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trezeguet is a bit of a tosser in truth. The Scots deserve thier place at the top of the heap and I really hope they qualify as it'll give the rest of you someone to cheer next summer. ;)

Mike.

evil_seed wrote:

And I raise you with

5223ntknb1.jpg

And I raise you with

5223ntknb1.jpg

That really made me laugh last night...he honestly looked like the waterworks were coming on after the goal:D

On another note, i dont think anyone has mentioned the outstanding performance from Craig Gordon, i honestly think he is on his way to becoming one of the worlds best keepers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement