Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time Staunton goes?

• 12-09-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

Ok Irelands chances are gone. Before the game I was sticking up for him saying get behind the team and we will see....

Its time he goes. I feel sorry for him but in my oppinion he HAS to go. Listening to Brady Giles and Dunphy they were dead right. Our team isnt a bad one. Not world class but we have good players definetly capable of getting us into the world cup and european championships.

I just want to know do you think Staunton should be sacked? My oppinion Yes.

Who should we get in place? A tougher choice....

Should Staunton be sacked? 88 votes

Yes Staunton should be sacked tomorrow
    0% 0 votes
    No give him the world cup qualications
    39% 35 votes
    Yes he should go...but the FAI will keep him on
    12% 11 votes
    Both Staunton and Delaney should go.
    47% 42 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

No, it is time for him to go. Last year when we lost to Cyprus was when it was time to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His reign of terror needs to end immediately. It would be brilliant if Delaney went as well but the suits have all the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm against delany but for Staunton.. He's made some bad choices but I think he should be given to the world cup...

Who was our best manager? Jack? -when he took over the team was just maturing..

Our team will be maturing over the next few years and we need to give it a chance, Regardless of what manager we need to wait for it to mature..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

He should have been gone a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Oh please end this embarrassment now and hopefully he takes his croney Delaney with him :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

jameshayes wrote:
    I'm against delany but for Staunton.. He's made some bad choices but I think he should be given to the world cup...

Our team will be maturing over the next few years and we need to give it a chance, Regardless of what manager we need to wait for it to mature..

But do you not think even though the team is in that transition that we had a team more than capable of qualifying out of this group?

If a team the standard of Russia can get Gus Hiddink surely Ireland can manage something similar?

If staunton does go....Dave O leary, John Aldrige....hmm I think we need someone better than them. But getting a top manager in is easier said than done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He should be fired and Delaney should be run out of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

he should go now and delaney should go aswel.doubt it will happen.dont think we will ever see the likes of hiddink in the job FAI just wudnt pay the wages.dont think we have progressed as a team in over 2 years -we have plenty of new players in the squad under stan but i think anyone who takes even a moderate interest in football wud be able to call up the players who have came into the squad.fairly depressing ,that was a group we cud have qualified from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

the players are as much to blame, not really "blame" they're actually just not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Staunton should only leave if Delaney's first out the door ahead of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the players are as much to blame, not really "blame" they're actually just not good enough
    yeah the players have to take a certain amount of blame but it is up to the manager to set up the team in the right manner, pick the team and make the changes when needs be ,something staunton cant seem to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I voted for Staunton to go tomorrow (EDIT: Actually, I voted for Delaney to go too), though tbh I don't see the point in getting rid of him before the next round of qualifying matches unless there's a decent replacement lined up. I can't think of anyone I'd like in the job that would be likely to take it and, although Staunton's sacking is long overdue, there's no need to put ourselves under pressure to rush into getting a new manager.

I can see the scenario now... the FAI sack Staunton tomorrow, Ireland (under a caretaker coach) win their next match and the Czechs lose. All of a sudden, outside chance of qualification! Quick, new manager! Ehhh... Mark Kinsella - you'll do! Here's a shiny four-year contract! ****, we lost to Cyprus again. Ahh balls now Mark Kinsella's our manager.

How can you say the players just arent good enough?
    They are good enough. Certainly to be able to beat the likes of cyprus....hammer san marino and comfortably see of the likes of wales.

Wales managed to beat the slovaks tonight 5-2....we just got a 2-2 draw which in fairness we didnt deserve to win that match( we should be able to beat them comfortably)

Im not saying our players are world class but when you look at the feats of Scotland tonight both them and Ireland are very similar. Of course we were good enough to get out of this group. Its such a shame Delaney and Staunton are involved in the set up.

What I cant understand is why sack brian kerr when even he was a better manager than staunton. At least the likes of Aldrige had experience in management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sweden 3-0
    Chile 0-1
    Netherlands 0-4
    Germany 0-1
    Cyprus 2-5
    Czech Rep 1-1
    San Marino 5-0
    San Marino 2-1
    Wales 1-0
    Slovakia 1-0
    Ecuador 1-1
    Bolivia 1-1
    Denmark 4-0
    Slovakia 2-2
    Czech Rep 0-1

The results speak for theselves. They suggest an inability to hold a lead, a propensity to be overawed, and a lack of attacking ideas.

Staunton has no knowledge of how to orchastrate a midfield. Carsley, Reid, Kilbane and McGeady has lack of creativity written all over it. England suffer from having no natural left winger. In Hunt and Duff we have two. Up front Keane seems to have lost his way, while Doyle is weighed under by the lack of proper service.

Tonight Kelly looked awful until he changed wings. The decision to play him on the other side was mind boggling ?

Another serious problem is the safety of position people feel. Kilbane, Carsley and in particular John O Shea suffer terribly from this, and it hampers their performance terribly.

We have some great players at our disposal for the 2010 World Cup Qualification

Goalkeeper
    Given
    Doyle
    Henderson

Defence
    Finnan
    J.O'Brien
    O'Shea
    McShane
    O'Dea
    Dunne
    Kelly
    McCarthy

Midfield
    Ireland
    Duff
    Hunt
    A.Reid
    S.Reid
    Miller
    Potter
    Gibson

Forwards
    Keane
    Long
    Doyle
    Keogh
    Elliott

However, without proper guidance, which staunton cannot provide, we are sunk. Mick McCarthy was good on guidance, and between March 1996 and November 1997 he cultivated a good team and team spirit. Staunton has not done so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gustavo wrote:
    Staunton should only leave if Delaney's first out the door ahead of him

Yep. Agree 100%. Allowing Delany to pick his replacement fills me with dread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Over 94% want him gone in this poll so far, surely the fai have to act now! I still have my doubts though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Over 94% want him gone in this poll so far, surely the fai have to act now! I still have my doubts though

Yep, the FAI are waiting for this poll to close and then they'll know what to do. :rolleyes:

Staunton's not good enough. But who can the FAI get that can do a better job?

The reality is as long as Irish football consumers continue to spend their money supporting football outside the FAI's juristriction, it lessens the chances of the FAI being able to fix the problems at hand.

But people are deluded enough into ignoring this problem and demanding a quick fix that isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So what does it take to get rid of Delaney??? He promised us the public a world class manager when they got rid of Kerr, what did he do got in an old man in poor health and and Stevie, it was doomed and silly idea from the start. But Delaney seems to be untouchable. Surely they could get rid of Stevie tomorrow and give Dave O'Leary a call (whats he up to these days?) and he would be a 100 percent improvement and get the best out of this young bunch of decent players.

Snake

Can the FAI afford a world-class manager?

No.

Why?

See my post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's no point in keeping Staunton on for the rest of this campaign unless we plan on keeping him for the World Cup campaign as well. He should go, and we should get someone in to start rebuilding.

Forget world-class, an experienced, proven Championship manager would be a huge improvement. McCarthy came from Millwall, and he did alright!

...what's David O' Leary doing these days?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote:
    Can the FAI afford a world-class manager?

No.

Why?

See my post above.

I agree, how much are we paying Stevie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

...what's David O' Leary doing these days?

Hiding from Leeds fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, Leeds' spectacular fall from grace was more to do with Ridsdale than O Leary. Sure, he made some crazy buys, but when you're given an open chequebook, you're gonna go a little crazy!

O'Leary brought through so many talented young players and took them to the brink of winning the Champions League. Looking at the young talent available to Ireland, he would be a decent candidate, I feel.

In fairness, Leeds' spectacular fall from grace was more to do with Ridsdale than O Leary. Sure, he made some crazy buys, but when you're given an open chequebook, you're gonna go a little crazy!

O'Leary brought through so many talented young players and took them to the brink of winning the Champions League. Looking at the young talent available to Ireland, he would be a decent candidate, I feel.

Yes he would indeed, question is would he work for clowns like Delaney????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Trampas

The FAI is a professional job run by amateurs.

The genesis report proved that. How much was that implemented?

They whole FAI should go if you ask me along with Stan.

Nothing against stan great servant but I am sure a saturday or sunday school boy manager could select a better team.

He should never been given a 4 year deal.

Everytime we dont qualify it makes it harder the next as we will start slipping down the pots and getting harder teams each time.

On a side not if they ever get rid of Delaney he should be made stand in the middle of o'connell street and get his head shaved with that stupid haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Call me unpatriotic or a bad fan if you want, but I will not be watching another Ireland match until both Staunton and Delaney are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I agree, how much are we paying Stevie?

I think Giles said something about 400K last night... But I'm sure most of his pay would be performance based so probably a quarter of that...

There has been a good few points here but I still think we should keep him on. People take time to settle in, Most managers whether it be football or common day managment(work etc) take some time to settle in.

I think there are several factors involved and it's easier to point the finger at one person rather than many.

# The players aren't great, Dunne and Given are the best we have, young players will be good when they mature

# Our Captian is poor, I would have Dunne or Given as a captian, Keane is a good player but ever since he became captain he hasn't really performed

# Our managment team have made some poor decisions

# Delany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

O'Leary!
    No Fúckin way. Keep Stan until either O'Neill or Big Sam want the job!

Is there not a comp clause for Stan if they try and get rid of him now?
    Delaney is still the bigger problem!

It's a mess...

jameshayes wrote:

What and waste a solid core of players on a manager who consistently picks the wrong team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

We need to play a dirty, ugly sort of game if we have any chance of making decent progress into qualifying for the next World Cup.

Case in point, Otto Rehagel and the Greeks winning the Euro's a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sorry to say lads, but we were never expected to qualify for Euro 08 anyway. That wasn't in his job spec.
    Stans target is the WC in 2010.
    We could have come bottom in the qualifying table, and the FAI would still keep him on.
    In other words, we should fire those giving him the orders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Zebra3 wrote:
    The reality is as long as Irish football consumers continue to spend their money supporting football outside the FAI's juristriction, it lessens the chances of the FAI being able to fix the problems at hand.

AFAIK we paid Kerr quite a bit and I'm sure between Robson's and Staunton's wages wwe could get one manager. Problem is we'd have to pay them off.

The FAI will never be able to afford a world class manager. Russia could only afford Hiddink because Roman is paying his wages. International managers don't need to be world class anyway, it helps but being competent is usually good enough.
    Gillie wrote:
    until either O'Neill or Big Sam want the job!

No hope...no hope whatsoever. Successful permiership managers will not quit to manage Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If you look at the table, Ireland finish third, above their seeding, surely a success? Wtf do people expect? Stan wasn't gonna deliver miracles, and in fairness he's had a tougher job than Kerr had...there's no point getting rid of him because:

a) the FAI can't afford to
    b) the FAI can't afford to get a better manager in
    c) Stan is Delaney's yes man - as long as Delaney stays, Stan stays
    d) who in their right mind would want the job anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gosplan wrote:
    No hope...no hope whatsoever. Successful permiership managers will not quit to manage Ireland.

True.

Still think that Aldridge or Dalglish (if interested) would be the realistic way to go

I think the team needs a bit of longevity, disrupting it now could hurt the side on an unprecedented level if someone new is brought in...

• Advertisement

I think the team needs a bit of longevity, disrupting it now could hurt the side on an unprecedented level if someone new is brought in...

and keeping him in will do the team no harm? it won't waste the talents of Ireland, Hunt, Doyle, Mc Shane?

Keeping him on, won't give loyal servants and great players for us like Keane, Kilbane, Duff, Dunne and Finnan a chance to represent us in another major tournament.

Tbh i see your point about keeping some stability, but i reckon its only really valid if we are discussing a manager who is any way competent.

I agree, but I'm more of a defeatist - I'm ust accepting that he'll be in the job as long as Dleaney is there so it's futile to speculate about future managers...yet this kind of garble always appears after EVERY Ireland match...he'll see out his contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

If you look at the table, Ireland finish third, above their seeding, surely a success? Wtf do people expect? Stan wasn't gonna deliver miracles, and in fairness he's had a tougher job than Kerr had...there's no point getting rid of him because:

a) the FAI can't afford to
    b) the FAI can't afford to get a better manager in

The FAI can't afford not to. They've got to sell 10 year tickets to Lansdowne and with having inept management off the pitch and continuing failure on it. It's going to be a hard sell.

Staunton will be dumped by Delaney if these seat sales don't go well.

Yeah and a cheaper manager brought in? Hurrah!

d) who in their right mind would want the job anyway?
    Souness. O' Leary. Jewell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

I hope Irish football fans across the country stand up to John Delaney and force him out. We need change at the top first is Delaney and then second is Stan. Id like to see Giles and Dunphy replace Steve because they seem to have an answer for everything! On more realistic note Paul Jewell, David O Leary and Aldo in that order would be my choice. Can we please get together and organise an official protest against John Delaney for our next home game lets get together and stand up for Irish football whos up for it!?!? WE MUST STOP DELANEY AND STAN RUINING IRISH FOOTBALL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

by definition very few players are world class, yet other teams are doing better than us with the same calibre of players. why is this? A good manager can't turn decent players into world class players but he can for sure get more out of them than an inept manager can.

By Steve Staunton staying it really is two fingers to the people who pay to watch the Irish soccer team play at home and abroad.
    Failing to qualify for next the World Cup would mean eight years without tournament football. To keep Staunton reduces our chances of qualifying...
    Delaney if needs be should take a big pay cut to ensure a manager with pedigree can be appointed. Failing that he should just walk for a blatant act of cronyism which was detrimental to the prospects of the national sides.
    The FAI simply can't afford not to get rid of Steve Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

thinking about putting in a proposal for a new reality tv show,either "You're the Gaffer" or "Ireland's Next Top Manager". find a replacement for Stan. any ideas would be great. personally he should never have accepted the job. he should have realised that coaching Walsall's reserves wasn't going to be the same as international football. Delaney and the fai should have realised the same. appointed Bobby Robson was a big mistake, the man spends his time battling cancer and such, which cant be a help to the team, not trying to be disrespectful or anything. the players may not be "World Class", a term which is over used these days, but they are good enough. any competent manger should be able to accomplish things with them.

How many people posting here who want Delaney and/or Staunton out for the good of Irish football support foreign clubs and do fck all for the good of Irish football?

Take a long hard look at yourselves.

piss off, supporting foreign clubs has nothing to do this

piss off, supporting foreign clubs has nothing to do this

Of course it has.

People here are slating the FAI saying they're to blame for this mess while the same people are doing very little to help Irish football.

It's called hypocrisy.

How many people slating the FAI have even bothered their hole to go and watch any of the FAI's underage teams?

with the support the people in this county give the FAI they have adequete resources to carry out their job properly, they are failing to do this, that is why people are unhappy.

for the record, i am not up on a lot of the FAI bashing that goes on here, i have no interest in club football in Ireland, i do though have an interest in the national team, and the fact that they hired a clown to manage that, gives me every right to moan about them and him.

Zebra3 wrote:
    How many people posting here who want Delaney and/or Staunton out for the good of Irish football support foreign clubs and do fck all for the good of Irish football?

Take a long hard look at yourselves.
    And how many decent, true and brave Eircom league dieharders would install an Eircom league manager and play a team chosen solely from the Eircom league? For the good of Irish football?

GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    And how many decent, true and brave Eircom league dieharders would install an Eircom league manager and play a team chosen solely from the Eircom league? For the good of Irish football?
    That's just being silly.

No one posting here has even remotely suggested that this has even a slight possibility of being an option.:rolleyes:
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    GTFO.
    There really is no need for that.

Seriously a petition should be started at least to get rid of that donkey delaney and along with him will go stan. Jesus Paul Jewell would be an excellent man to take over in my oppinion....but besides that.

The Fai came out today and gave their full support to Steve Staunton. For ****s sake im sick of it.

Im actually thinking I hope we get absolutely mauled in our last three matches so that there is a major outcry....it seems to me everyones being quite about wanting Changes within the Irish National Team.

I know our seedings could go down. But if we get embarrased in these last three games maybe it will show how inept and clueless Stan really is?

Delaney and Staunton out now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement