Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Car??!!!

Options
  • 12-09-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Right, '97 Carina (provisonally) sold €1k, assests and investments €3K so ive 4K to play with, and cant find a damn thing that interests me:(, looked at BMW 5&3 is a no, either they are overpriced and old or with the arse driven out of them, Honda Civic SiR cant find one original one, Merc E200 not quite ready for one, Astra Lancer & Colt nice cars but lacking that X factor, so theres the gauntlet ive thrown down, Has to be saloon, manual, under 2lt and reliable, failing that i've a '90 Carina in Mayo lined up:D

-VB- needs help!:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

89 carina 2ltr gli hatch, you will keep it forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dont tempt me, i would too!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you need a Camry 2.2 Automatic.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you need a Camry 2.2 Automatic.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i do not! dont like Auto's and it'll be like getting rid of aids when i come to sell it.

-VB-

Camry automatics are far more desirable and easy to sell than manuals. Please try one, it's so suited to you - you just don't realise it yet!

You can break camrys up like this
    Manual/Auto
    Cloth /Leather

Otherwise spec is pretty much all the same. Leather/Auto is the easiest to sell,

• Advertisement

Even so i want to spread my automotive wings abit, last 4 cars i had were toyota's in a space of 11 months.

-VB-

How about a Honda Accord?

Abosoluely adore those cars! but anything within my budget is the old model:( just looking on carzone just there and this caught my eye - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=766378

Bodykit, not too much, just a nice looking car.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Seeing as you love Toyota Carinas so much - what about a 2.0GTi Carina E(167 bhp, 3S-GE engine, and a rev counter that goes to 9,000 rpm). Surley that is the ultimate Carina E to have.

But the old model is still a lovely car. Have you considered a Subaru Legacy?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    Seeing as you love Toyota Carinas so much - what about a 2.0GTi Carina E(167 bhp, 3S-GE engine, and a rev counter that goes to 9,000 rpm). Surley that is the ultimate Carina E to have.

There's only one on carzone, 3k for a 92, i aint going to start importing either.

Colm- Legacys couldnt stand the poverty irish models, couldnt afford the cost of a twin turbo!

-VB-

I thought comfort, a few toys and reliability would be your criteria!

Hows about a Maxima or Omega?

Never get rid of either!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Volvoboy wrote:
    Never get rid of either!

-VB-
    If you buy it at the right price, you can sell it on easily.

peasant wrote:

Ah Saab's never really given them a second thought, nice car but not for me i'm afraid, thanks for the suggestion tho.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prem_vw

How bout a nice Volvo S40? This one looks quite reasonable:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=737051

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely you'd get a super condition E34 for €4k?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

drive one before you dismiss it

btw ... the boot is bigger than an Octavia's :D:D:D

Mazda Xedos 6
    mazda-xedos-6.jpg
    silky V6 engine, lovely styling, bulletproof.

produced from 93 to 99

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads the carina is (hopefully) going tomorrow, and i'm off to Liverpool for the weekend, who knows maybe somthing will follow me home:D Thanks for your suggestions.

-VB-

unkel wrote:
    Surely you'd get a super condition E34 for €4k?

There are some super condition(admittedly high mileage) E39 520i's on Auto Trader(UK) for £2,000, add in 30% VRT and thats €3,200 max.

So the answer to the question must surley be yes.

Speaking of E34s, I know someone who imported an E34 520i(L reg, so Aug 93-Jul94, actually the E34 ths person bought is a 94 model) last year, total cost including VRT was IIRC €2,500(I think it was slightly less actually). Car has the 24V M50 lump, a few scratches, but nobody expects a 13 year old car to look like new; interior is mint, had 115k on the clock, runs like a dream, has that all important gorgeous sounding straight 6. However the purchaser has had a few problems(nobody expects a 13 year old car to be perfect), it needed a new fuel tank, and petrol consumption is poor. The mpg guage frequently indicates less than 10 mpg, even when its not being threashed :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I sold my '94 E34 V8 a bit over 3 years ago for €4k. Original Irish car bought by the ambassador of Finland to Ireland. Low mileage (80k), good condition except for a small oil leakage (never properly diagnosed)

Good old Irish poverty spec though. Everything electric, but no cow skin, no airbags, no aircon :eek:

prem_vw wrote:
    How bout a nice Volvo S40? This one looks quite reasonable:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=737051

As the driver of that type of S40, I can tell you that that particular model should be avoided at all costs. That S40 has the dreaded Mitsubishi engine; its tappety all the time(apparantly they all do that, it doesn't mean theres anything wrong, but iit just makes the car louder and makes it sound less smooth), sounds like a diesel when it starts up(it has direct injection), especially when cold, and has the potential to be VERY expensive to repair when it goes wrong.

Get a Volvo engined model, if buying that type of S40, and DON'T get a 1.6(its so slow you may find a new appreciation of public transport).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A few alternatives:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=773455
    (Might be a bit too soon for the pipe and slippers though)

or

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=413055
    (Fairly cheap and usually don't give any bother)

or an older higher spec one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=752201

or something German:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=788869
    (once you get over the green leather) :eek:

unkel wrote:
    Good old Irish poverty spec though. Everything electric, but no cow skin, no airbags, no aircon :eek:

So basically your car had nothing as standard:D :eek: apart from electric windows and sunroof?

What E34 was it that you had unkel? A 530i or a 540i? I haven't seen a V8 E34 in yonks.(Haven't seen a V8 5 series in yonks full stop, even in Europe :eek: )

I'd say that M60 lump guzzled petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

With that sort of budget, there is something rather nice and rather special you can consider, and that is the e30 BMW 318iS. 136bhp (very easy and cheap to get to 150+bhp, can then keep up with a 325i no problem), fantastic handling (better than a 325i Sport) and 35-40mpg. It's the thinking mans e30. I love mine.

I was looking about for cars under €6000, basically the best mix between practicality and performance and it's what I chose.

Do it.
    1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hmm if you dont mind mazda Id at least take a look/test drive a 626

ah just seen somebodies recommended the xedos, nice

There was a time when my old man wanted to change his car, he took a Mazda 626, that put him off Mazdas completely, it was the most boring, miserable car to be in. Now bearing in mind that this was a top of the range 2.0 litre model, it was slow, noisy, uncomfortable, bland car, the engine was gruff too.

A 626 is a horrible car, the 2&3 are vastly superior to the 626.

• Advertisement

Still nothing has ''come up'' that i might be intrested in, going to have my mates car for next weekend, so i wont be without a car. Thanks again for the suggestions lads. Still alot to mull over.

-VB-

Advertisement