Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Retail Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterfords becoming "Shed-Shop" Heaven!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mike65 wrote:
    Waterfords becoming "Shed-Shop" Heaven!

Mike.

It's the way things are going all over the country. We're turning into Blanchardstown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

fricatus wrote:
    Just saw a picture of the Waterford Retail Park at the Six Cross Roads:

http://www.upthedeise.com/waterfordmessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=101&start=165

It's massive! Anyone know what's going in there? Seems like the pic is no more than a few days old, but it looks like it's just been finished.

B&Q at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote:

It's massive! Anyone know what's going in there? Seems like the pic is no more than a few days old, but it looks like it's just been finished.

Personally, I wouldn’t swap one Michael St shopping centre for twenty of these retail parks. As for what’s going into it, if you were to drive into any retail park in Cork, Galway, Limerick or were ever it will be the same as that.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JMcL wrote:
    B&Q at least

Not on the six cross roads one. They are going out on the Butlerstown one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Aquos76 wrote:
    Not on the six cross roads one. They are going out on the Butlerstown one.
    B & Q were suppose to go into it but needed larger space! haven't a clue whose going into the 6 cross roads one. Have you noticed that a lot of shops in town are moving out. That furniture shop on O Connell street, Tony....(Can't think of the name) Has moved to six cross roads recently. Think their in the business park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As for what’s going into it, if you were to drive into any retail park in Cork, Galway, Limerick or were ever it will be the same as that.

Thats the point though. Keep the cash local and tempt more people in the satellite towns in this direction rather than drifing to Limerick, Cork, even Dublin.

Mike.

Personally, I wouldn’t swap one Michael St shopping centre for twenty of these retail parks. As for what’s going into it, if you were to drive into any retail park in Cork, Galway, Limerick or were ever it will be the same as that.

I tend to agree with you, but we need both. Stuff like furniture and big electrical goods belongs in retail parks. Clothes shops, department stores, small, high-end electrical stores, they all belong in a city-centre shopping centre.

Hopefully An Bord Pleanala will allow us to have both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

fricatus wrote:

I heard harvey norman super store,nice pictures ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I heard harvey norman

Harvey Norman isn't cheap. They carry a huge range - but you pay for the choice. It's kinda like any of the chain DIYs vs Johnny Hearns. You pay the 'I want it now' price.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Harvey Norman isn't cheap. They carry a huge range - but you pay for the choice. It's kinda like any of the chain DIYs vs Johnny Hearns. You pay the 'I want it now' price.
    So we tell harvey norman to feck off, and go some where else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Understandable for someone who lives in ballybricken. But for people who have to sit in traffic and then find parking in that wretched town, its a nightmare, a nice big retail park with decent shops will be the right job.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Parking is fine in Waterford, its just an issue for people that want to park 5 steps away from the shop there going too.

People would park in the shops if they could!

hotnipples wrote:
    Understandable for someone who lives in ballybricken. But for people who have to sit in traffic and then find parking in that wretched town, its a nightmare, a nice big retail park with decent shops will be the right job.

If there is something wrong with the city centre, it should be fixed. Building retail on the Outer Ring road is only going to damage the city centre further and make more traffic problems. Retail parks solve f*&^ all.

&

Who said I live in Ballybricken?

Cabaal wrote:
    Parking is fine in Waterford, its just an issue for people that want to park 5 steps away from the shop there going too.

People would park in the shops if they could!

This is quite true. Waterford people and, ahem, "northsiders" alike complain about the parking and access, but it's really not that bad.

That car park up by Aldi is very easily accessible, especially for anyone coming over the bridge, and it's half empty most of the time. Even on Saturday at lunchtime, you can get a space. Meanwhile there's a line of cars half a mile long down the Quay and up Exchange St trying to get into City Square.

What the City Council needs to do is get all those car parks co-ordinated and have signs on the way into the city giving the name of the car park, the direction, and the number of spaces currently available, much the same as they do in Dublin.

And Waterford people generally have to get up off their lazy ar$es and realise that a walk down from Aldi to City Square is not halfway to the moon and back.

And before the twin excuses of weather and children get thrown at me, I'll remind you that my mother always parked up near the Hyper and walked down town with us three little gurriers, in all weathers. It's not impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

racram wrote:
    B & Q were suppose to go into it but needed larger space! haven't a clue whose going into the 6 cross roads one. Have you noticed that a lot of shops in town are moving out. That furniture shop on O Connell street, Tony....(Can't think of the name) Has moved to six cross roads recently. Think their in the business park.

Tony Burkes is the name and moved because of traffic problems. he's based beside about flooring on the other side of the roundabout. sullys snooker hall are moving into his old shop

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

fricatus wrote:
    And before the twin excuses of weather and children get thrown at me, I'll remind you that my mother always parked up near the Hyper and walked down town with us three little gurriers, in all weathers. It's not impossible.

At least your mother had a car to park. I was 12 before my mother got a car. So we used to walk everywhere. And of course those long queues for the bus to Tramore. That's one of the many problems with society these days. What the hell did we ever do without cars and especially mobiles phones.

FFS... I remember the days when there was months of waiting to get a phone line in and then the day you did get it in, you hoped and prayed that no one on the street say the van outside. Because then you would become the phone for the whole street. Sorry for going OT there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aquos76 wrote:
    FFS... I remember the days when there was months of waiting to get a phone line in and then the day you did get it in, you hoped and prayed that no one on the street say the van outside. Because then you would become the phone for the whole street.
    I knew a couple of people who had payphones installed because of this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I remember years ago when there was 7 of us fighting for the one bowl of cornflakes and there was 5 of us to a shirt.

We could only afford one mother. Sad days.

Luckily now though I have a car and I want to park it outside a shop in a retail park without going near the city.

• Advertisement

We used to go out to the farmer's feilds at night and liberate some of the cabbages/turnips and carrots, yes we had feck all them.Thank god for the Bank loans we now have all we want so long as the payments keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

fricatus wrote:
    This is quite true. Waterford people and, ahem, "northsiders" alike complain about the parking and access, but it's really not that bad.

That car park up by Aldi is very easily accessible, especially for anyone coming over the bridge, and it's half empty most of the time. Even on Saturday at lunchtime, you can get a space. Meanwhile there's a line of cars half a mile long down the Quay and up Exchange St trying to get into City Square.

What the City Council needs to do is get all those car parks co-ordinated and have signs on the way into the city giving the name of the car park, the direction, and the number of spaces currently available, much the same as they do in Dublin.

And Waterford people generally have to get up off their lazy ar$es and realise that a walk down from Aldi to City Square is not halfway to the moon and back.

A sign with the car parks and space available would be a great idea. Whatever about ALDI car park being empty, it always amazes me that New St car park is half empty on a sat and that's right in the centre of town nearly; 5 mins and you're in city square. Course Waterford is the place of people parking in set down zones and the like two seconds from the shop doors. It's crazy to see people park outside ALDI when there's a car park (free for an hour if you shop there) just around the corner. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Maharet wrote:
    A sign with the car parks and space available would be a great idea. Whatever about ALDI car park being empty, it always amazes me that New St car park is half empty on a sat and that's right in the centre of town nearly; 5 mins and you're in city square. Course Waterford is the place of people parking in set down zones and the like two seconds from the shop doors. It's crazy to see people park outside ALDI when there's a car park (free for an hour if you shop there) just around the corner. :rolleyes:

Have to say though I dislike that New Street car park....Too narrow and tight corners! Anyway, this thread started about the Retail Park, has any shops gone into it yet?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 InnerCity

Waterford has a problem with cars in the city, we have very bad traffic management. the one way systems and the lack of any through access to broad street is a joke, to say the least.Come 5pm the town is dead yet its packed at lunch. the people in the CC just go out of there way to cause problems for not just the people of Waterford but the business in it as well.

O'Connell St is in a ruin big time. it was once the best trading st in Ireland, not just Waterford. the one way system has destroyed it ask any local person or business. Tony Bukes moved because of it but its understandable given that they sell furniture. However Kavanaghs the lighting and the electrical shop were the first to move out of there(although around the corner) because when people parked to buy a bulb you paid for the bulb and a €15 parking fine.Same story for them in their Michael st store.

Waterford City Centre needs more live in it, its lossing out big time to Kilkenny and even Wexford now, we need the Michael St Shopping Centre more then ever now, thanks to business parks, ever see a picture of Waterford 15 or even 20 years ago and notice the major decrease in family business??In gerenal they are much cheaper then sheds has they dont carry the same overheads has them.

If people from Ireland continue to support them every high st in every town in western europe will look the same, nothing but pound shops and phone shops, the lack of character will kill the town and all we'll have will be an over size business park, full of MNC all offering the same goods and when was the last time we every heard of a tesco buying their bulbs at Kavanaghs or any other local shop???????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

InnerCity wrote:
    If people from Ireland continue to support them every high st in every town in western europe will look the same, nothing but pound shops and phone shops, the lack of character will kill the town and all we'll have will be an over size business park, full of MNC all offering the same goods and when was the last time we every heard of a tesco buying their bulbs at Kavanaghs or any other local shop???????????

In one paragraph you've just described small town America. Except WAllmart moved in a shut everyone down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

problem isn't the parking, its the lack of variety in the shops and as well people have the perception that the town has gotten rougher so they prefer to shop on the outskirts.
    I rarely go into town anymore but thats mainly because that alot of shops I used to shop in(the reef, icon etc) are all closed and they haven't been replaced with anything I would be interested in at all so if I want to clothes shop I have to either do it on line or outside of waterford.This kills me because I have always loved waterford and going into town but lately I just leave with out buying anything and just feeling pissed off.IN my opinion debenhams is gonna kill the town completely the way they have driven river island out.When other shops open up on the ring road over the next few years the town will end up like carlow years ago, nearly a ghost town.
    Of course I blame the Polish.......after all aren't they to blame for everything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

went shopping in limerick yesterday and they have a huge amount of good clothes shops and the city is better layed out also and come to think of it is,nt the former waterford city council engineer tom mackey the new engineer for limerick city????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

We desperately need the Newgate centre to go through to revitalise the city centre, and to defend the city against the threat of out of town shopping.

Out of town shopping is not a (big) problem when the primary retail core is in the city centre and when the centre is vibrant. The city centre can handle more traffic than any other part of the city, so putting retail in the centre is the most sustainable approach. At the moment, however, the city centre is very weak, and that makes the city as a whole weak.

Out of town shopping encourages urban sprawl, the death of traditional town centres, car dependence, a reduction in the effectiveness of public transport, a probable increase in the amount of traffic on the road and therefore in CO2 emissions, removal of tracts of countryside, and countless other issues. Roads like the outer ring road, which can currently ferry people from one end to the other in 10 minutes, can become giant car parks when too much is built along them. This is what has happened to the M50 in Dublin.

Now I am not against out of town shopping in all shapes and forms. Large warehouse retail has to go out of town and every suburb/neighbourhood should have its convenience shopping facilities. But major, comparison retail should be overwhelmingly in the city centre, particularly for a city as small as Waterford, because otherwise we will very quickly be hit by the problems outlined above.

Dublin city centre serves an immediate population of at least half a million people. Waterford city centre should be able to serve the 80,000 or so people in a ten mile radius, without resorting to huge developments on the outer ring road.

The first thing that needs to happen in Waterford is for the city centre to become stable. The Newgate centre, if it goes through (decision due on the 24th Jan), should accomplish this. The addition of new retail and the likely rejuvenation of the streets between it and city square will make an enormous difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

merlante wrote: »
    The Newgate centre, if it goes through (decision due on the 24th Jan), should accomplish this.

i was told today that the decision will be announced this Thursday the 10th, not the 24th? fingers crossed it gets the go-ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

i was told today that the decision will be announced this Thursday the 10th, not the 24th? fingers crossed it gets the go-ahead.

Oh right. When I last looked at the ABP website it was the 24th, but the sooner the better. Fingers crossed as always.

EDIT:
    Says the 9th Jan below!
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/224299.htm

Advertisement