Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Retail Park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

merlante wrote:
    Roads like the outer ring road, which can currently ferry people from one end to the other in 10 minutes, can become giant car parks when too much is built along them. This is what has happened to the M50 in Dublin.

There is nothing built along the M50 except for the toll bridge there's on and off ramps to various parts of dublin. But as for retail there isn't any. The reason the M50 is a moving carpark is because when it was when it was initially built DCC/CoCo never thought about how much traffic would actually use it to by-pass the city centre to get to the airport or other side of the city. Hense the reason it is currently being upgrated, and the toll bridge makes me nervous everytime I have to go near it Which isn't that often thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

trishw78 wrote: »
    There is nothing built along the M50 except for the toll bridge there's on and off ramps to various parts of dublin. But as for retail there isn't any. The reason the M50 is a moving carpark is because when it was when it was initially built DCC/CoCo never thought about how much traffic would actually use it to by-pass the city centre to get to the airport or other side of the city. Hense the reason it is currently being upgrated, and the toll bridge makes me nervous everytime I have to go near it Which isn't that often thank god

I don't drive myself so I'm most going on what drivers tell me, but I seem to remember having to hit the M50 for places like Liffey Valley. Otherwise I'll defer to the wisdom of others. :)

I think the point still stands though, the ORR is vulnerable to out of town development, which, if it diverted a sizable portion of the traffic that currently hits the city centre, could cause severe traffic problems. All you'd need is one roundabout backed up and things could escalate from there.

With a population of 50,000 people (+10,000 in Tramore) I don't really see us getting an outer-outer ring road any time soon. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meatwad wrote: »
    ...IN my opinion debenhams is gonna kill the town completely the way they have driven river island out.When other shops open up on the ring road over the next few years the town will end up like carlow years ago, nearly a ghost town.

River Island left, but there opening a bigger and better store in Waterford (as soon as the council get there finger out and do some work) then previous. So its a good thing in the end.

I cant see Waterford Center being a ghost town. It will be good to see the variety of shops spread out. All we need now is a proper bus service to bring people out.
    Of course I blame the Polish.......after all aren't they to blame for everything else?

I assume your joking. Its a crap joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

IN my opinion debenhams is gonna kill the town completely the way they have driven river island out.

Are you kidding? Retailers locally will tell you that Debenhams was the only thing that saved this year's Christmas season in Waterford. It's now just about the only major shopping draw that Waterford alone has in the south-east.

Friends of mine in Kilkenny rarely shop in Waterford, but when they do head down, it's mostly because there isn't a Debenhams in KK.

...the town will end up like carlow years ago, nearly a ghost town.

I think you're wrong, but good example nevertheless of a town that was essentially dead, but reinvented itself by getting Superquinn in on Barrack St and Tesco and others into the Fairgreen centre. Kilkenny people go to Carlow in preference to Waterford because it's slightly closer, but mostly because parking is easier and the road there is miles better.

Carlow's renaissance is proof positive of what Waterford will be able to do if we can get M&S and BT to locate here.

Of course I blame the Polish.......after all aren't they to blame for everything else?

Sully, you may not get his sense of humour, but I do. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Agree wiyh you totally on the m&s thing.Believe that this is necessary but heard rumors that they might be setting up shop on the ring road.A few months ago heard from a reliablesource that the new gate centre or what ever its called basically has only a few shops to go into it and these are places that exist already , he said as far as he knew m&s had pulled out.Of course this is only rumor to a certain degree but I wouldn't put it past the council to create another trinity square.

• Advertisement

Agree wiyh you totally on the m&s thing.Believe that this is necessary but heard rumors that they might be setting up shop on the ring road.A few months ago heard from a reliablesource that the new gate centre or what ever its called basically has only a few shops to go into it and these are places that exist already , he said as far as he knew m&s had pulled out.

I doubt M&S has pulled out of anything, especially since both the First City and Newgate Centre developments are due to be decided by 24 January:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/224952.htm
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/224958.htm

Has that deadline slipped from 9 January? At this rate they'll decide it in 2009!

Of course this is only rumor to a certain degree but I wouldn't put it past the council to create another trinity square.

It's not the council that's building this centre, but anyway there's no way we'll get another Trinity Square. This place will have two big department stores. Check out the plan:

http://www.newgatecentre.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think the link I posted above is the main plan -- that's for the 9th Jan. Not sure what the other links are for.

merlante wrote: »
    I think the link I posted above is the main plan -- that's for the 9th Jan. Not sure what the other links are for.

Sorry... I'm a dope! The link you posted (http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/224299.htm) is of course the correct one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Discussed here http://www.051.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184&start=20

Feb 11th is the new decision date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

So when will it be moved to next? 17th March? And when they realise their error, move it back to 1st April and nobody will believe them.

Advertisement