Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitos

Options
  • 12-09-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

for the last number of days, I have these little fly like insects around the house, and they seem to be increasing :eek: for want of a better explaination, I think they could be mosquitos, as the sorta look like them, I did remember hearing in the summer that the UK had a high increase of them after all their floods.

was sayin it to a friend earlier and she told me that she heard of a person having the same problem today in their house and that also its been a topic of conversation on the Gerry Ryan show recently,

can any body shed some light on it?

First it was the giant spiders :eek: and now these!!!!! AGHHHHHHHHH:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Not mosquitos but flying ants. They are pregnant with lots of baby ants. Yes they are annoying especially when they land on your arms. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

mite explain so why I was taking bedding off a bed earlier today, a good few flew up!!! how will i get rid of them? :confused:

mite explain so why I was taking bedding off a bed earlier today, a good few flew up!!! how will i get rid of them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

k---riste... have just taken a look at my ceiling here, there's about 60 of things, and yeah they do look more like mosquitoes than flying ants. What the hell is going on ? Didn't have them yesterday.

Am off to get the vacuum cleaner...

franksm wrote:
    k---riste... have just taken a look at my ceiling here, there's about 60 of things, and yeah they do look more like mosquitoes than flying ants. What the hell is going on ? Didn't have them yesterday.

Am off to get the vacuum cleaner...

ooh I think i have opened a can of worms, or should that be mosquitos! :cool:

• Advertisement

make that "midgies", although they're bigger than what I have usually seen. Don't think they're mosquitoes at all - thank gawd

nevermind - about 60 of them are now inside my vacuum cleaner. Have to go get the rest shortly - can still see 15 or so around the place

franksm wrote:
    make that "midgies", although they're bigger than what I have usually seen. Don't think they're mosquitoes at all - thank gawd

nevermind - about 60 of them are now inside my vacuum cleaner. Have to go get the rest shortly - can still see 15 or so around the place

if they are, they are a hell of a lot bigger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Bring on the cold weather thats all I can say!, dam humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

They could be mosquitoes we do have them in this country,and sorry to tell ya but the way the weather and climate is changing their probably going to get more common.
    Don't leave stagnant water around as this can be where the larva of them hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have crane flys and baby ones everywhere at my house. very annoying indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, I was going to post a similar thread today.

We're eaten alive by the little fookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My dad catches them and gives to the fish in his fish tank. They seem to love them :)

any ideas as to how to get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Unlikely to be mosquitos if they are occuring in large numbers in a house. Also flying ants are more likely to be noticed swarming on things like road surfaces or rocks outside in warm weather and are quite easily identifiable as ants, despite the wings.

There are a huge number of species of flies so it would be very hard to guess but if it is a small fly there must be some rotting material nearby which is acting as a breeding ground. This could be anything from food in a dustbin to farm waste to blocked drains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

sesswhat wrote:
    Unlikely to be mosquitos if they are occuring in large numbers in a house. Also flying ants are more likely to be noticed swarming on things like road surfaces or rocks outside in warm weather and are quite easily identifiable as ants, despite the wings.

There are a huge number of species of flies so it would be very hard to guess but if it is a small fly there must be some rotting material nearby which is acting as a breeding ground. This could be anything from food in a dustbin to farm waste to blocked drains.

Maybe they're not as far north as Donegal, but their eating us alive in Dublin for the last few weeks :mad:

got up close and personal with one just now, little bugger wouldnt stay still enough for me to take a picture, altho my cat was more interested in what was makin the little buzzing noise, frm pics I have looked up on net of them, they do look an awful lot like them to my mind!! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've been bitten by a couple of mossies lately - at least these bugs were like oversized midges - definitley not flying ants as we have plenty of them too.

LOL - I tried to get some pics too, in macro mode but I'm not a dab hand with the camera.

Honestly, vacuum cleaner - worked great. I half imagined the little f*****s would make their way out from inside the machine overnight, but no, they're all gone.

Advertisement