Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RGB compatible TVs....

• 12-09-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but it seemed appropiate enough so here goes!Anyways i'm moving away to college and am trying to find a cheap 14/15 inch TV that I can bring with me.Basically any TV will do as long as its RGB compatible and can display 60Hz.Now I managed to find a ''traditional'' (ie fat) TV that displays 60Hz, but it didn't mention anything bout RGB (and since it was Argos the store's staff knew **** all bout it) so I didn't get it.Now should I just assume that any new TV that can display 60Hz, can support RGB?Cause I have an old TV that supports RGB, but doesn't have 60Hz, so surely one that can display 60Hz is RGB compatible.....yes?

And one other thing, i'm also looking at a 15 inch LCD TV, however if at all possible i'd prefer a traditional one due to the fact that they're much cheaper, and probably less likely to be stolen. Now SURELY an LCD TV would support RGB and 60Hz?

On final thing, this TV will be used almost exclusively for gaming (360 and PS2), so would the LCD be a bad choice?I mean would there be ''ghosting'' or whatever its called?As you can see, i'm not that well informed, so any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

My personal opinion is that a "traditional" TV (CRT) gives a nicer picture than an LCD unless you're going spending serious money on a new one. LCDs, especially cheap ones, are very prone to leaving trails after fast moving objects and a lot have trouble with contrast in dark or light areas of an image, all of which seems to ruin the atmosphere of games for me anyway. Virtually all TVs nowadays will do 60Hz - LCDs kind of negate the main reason for 60Hz though by not suffering from 50Hz flicker like CRT TVs. As for RGB, it's less common for a CRT to support it. I've no idea about LCDs but if you get the model from Argos and check the manufacturer's website you should get the info you need. It would be worth your while to get an RGB compatible TV alright, the difference between it and composite (the single yellow connector) is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Depending on the maker of the TV if it is a well known brand name like Philips they usually offer the manual on their web site which could tell if the CRT TV has scart RGB support.

As for ghosting this can be a problem on cheap LCD screens if the response time is listed and greater than 8ms then most likely you will notice the effect.

I don't know how much money you have to spend but a computer monitor might just be a good idea, keep the TV for TV/PS2 and use the Xbox 360 VGA cable on an LCD computer monitor plus you get access to the HD resolution something the CRT cannot provide. Or if you want both on the one LCD with a VGA conversion box you can stick the Xbox 360 on the box's VGA PC port and the PS2 on the VGA/Component input and switch between the two at will. You will need the PS2 component cables for that as well so the cost could be adding up however you will get the best picture quality from both consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Thanks for the in-depth posts guys, really appreciate it.Based on your posts, I think I shall stick with a CRT TV rather than an LCD one.Now the only problem is finding one that supports RGB, and is 14/15inchs.....Hmmm.I found like 3 the other day (all round the €80-€90 mark), but as I said before none of them said whether or not they support RGB.And all of them were **** no-name brands i've never heard of.....which I would be wary off. I mean my 21inch is a **** no-name brand (Wharfedale or something), and its actually quite decent......but I'm worried I won't be as lucky next time.

And the thing is while I could probably buy a bigger TV, and be almost assured it supports RGB, I wouldn't be bothered bringing anything more than a 14 incher with me......and even if I was I doubt i'd be able to fit anything more than a small TV on that TINY little plank of wood they give me (calling it a desk is hilarious!).So i'm in a bit of a dilema.....Hmmm.

Am planning on heading down to Strabane tomorrow and checking out a few places, but again i'm not hopeful.Would anyone know if i'd be able to find what i'm looking for (ie a 14 inch brand name TV with 60Hz and RGB) in a place like Circuit City in Dublin?Or have they stopped selling CRT TVs?Doesn't even have to be CC, basically anything thats within like 30 minutes of the Liffey Valley centre would be perfect.

Oh and 8T8 thanks for the info on that monitor, but i'm on a REALLY tight budget...and even if I wasn't i'm trying to keep the TV as unimpressive as possible.....so it won't be stolen as soon as I leave my room....but thanks anyways!

OK so I actually decided that theres no need to limit myself to a 14 inch, so i'm now looking at this TV from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5291821/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500006565.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500006586.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D1500006589.Standard%2B%28CRT%29%2Btelevisions%2Band%2Bpackages.htm

.....But once again I am faced with the problem that I can't find out wether or not its RGB compatible!!!!And I can't seem to find the user manual for it ANYWHERE online to check.Don't suppose anyone can point me in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No way to tell, also that TV has only one scart socket so the PS2 would have to go on the AV input whatever that is could be RF or composite.

In all likely hood given generic Bush brands poor quality I would be surprised if it had RGB support.

The only one there that is a definite I'd say for RGB is the Samsung at 150 but this polish site says the TV is 50hz only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

So let's get this straight... You are heading off to "college" and you are bringing a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and a portable :eek:
    Best o luck with the studies!
    Don't suppose you'll have broadband too :cool:

(Sorry couldn't resist a dig)

industria wrote:
    So let's get this straight... You are heading off to "college" and you are bringing a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and a portable :eek:
    Best o luck with the studies!
    Don't suppose you'll have broadband too :cool:

(Sorry couldn't resist a dig)
    Haha!No worries!Anyways i'm only bringing the PS2, wouldn't be bothered with the 360 cause its bulky and would be more expensive to replace if stolen....

*Glances sideways at room-mates*

Anyways I got the TV from Argos earlier today and am happy to report its both 60Hz AND RGB compatible......which is exactly what I was looking for!So i'm quite happy!Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Advertisement