Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical Methods for composites

• 12-09-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hi im doing some work on properties of composite materials and i am using woven fibreglass to make samples to be then tested experimentally.

Does anyone know any way of theoretically predicting different mechanical properties so as to compare to the experimental results. I would be looking for either formulae that can be used or how it can be modelled on a CAD package such as pro engineer.

Cheers for any help you can provide, finding it very hard to find any information regarding this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Hit the college library and search under "Mechanics of Composites".
    If there's a materials science or engineering course then borrow a set of notes on the same subject from a student or lecturer.
    In these there will be analysis on the mechanical behaviour of the composite under loading and formulae will be derived for stresses & strains on the composite.
    From knowledge of the fibre arrangement and individual yield strengths of the matrix and fibre phases you can apply the formulae to calculate the design strength of the composite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Crawfords Polymers book should have everything you're looking for, can't put my hand on mine at the mo, but it should cover what you're looking for.

Advertisement