Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken digital camera screen

Options
  • 13-09-2007 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

The screen on my digital camera broke while I was on holidays recently. When I brought it into a camera shop I was told it could cost up to €200 to repair. As this is possibly more than the camera is worth does anyone know if it's possible to buy the screen online and install it myself? It wouldnt matter too much if I messed it up as more than likely i'll end up throwing away the camera and buying another one if I can't find a cheaper way of fixing it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I have certainly mobile phone screens for sale on ebay so camera screens are a possiblility as well. They're not cheap though. Do a search on ebay for the model of your camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WPI20000

My mate John broke his cameraphone screen and put it in the freezer for a week and now it's fine. Don't know if that's true but worth a shot? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

WPI20000 wrote: »
    My mate John broke his cameraphone screen and put it in the freezer for a week and now it's fine. Don't know if that's true but worth a shot? :confused:
    Ive just realised I need my camera for this week, had kind of forgotten about it, has anyone any ideas?

I don't know if I want to try the freezer could it break the camera completely?

If not could anyone recommend the cheapest possible camera with a built in battery, 3x optical zoom, 5million+ pixels, and fairly sturdy?
    Certainly not Olympus i've broken two of them already!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

If not could anyone recommend the cheapest possible camera with a built in battery, 3x optical zoom, 5million+ pixels, and fairly sturdy?
    Certainly not Olympus i've broken two of them already!

I can vouch for the Fuji Axxx range - they take good photos, take the xD cards (which if you've been using Olympus, you must also have) and you can buy off pixmania or the like for under €150. Bought one for my mom earlier this year (I think it was a 6MP) for about that price. I see they've changed their range but there's one for about €138 incl. shipping:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/547807/art/fuji/finepix-a820-in-blue.html

Alternatively Argos has quite a few models.

In fairness, I'd say it would be cheaper to buy a new camera than to get the screen of your current camera repaired, sorry...

Yeah I never really liked my old camera, seemed to be always slow, both taking pictures and viewing them, even though its only a year old

It's the third olympus that I've broken without much force

• Advertisement

I'm going to buy a Fuji or Canon from Pixmania, just wondering where they ship from, i've been done for taxes on several parcels recently so do they ship from inside the EU?

Still haven't fixed this camera, just wondering has anyone tried the freezer thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

freezer will not repair a cracked screen

I'm guessing that the one fixed this was just not displaying any image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Similar situation,is there anywhere that I could just buy a screen and put it in myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Most camera companys have whats called a fixed repair charge.

E.g Fuji,
    If you smash, implode, explode, ignite, destroy, wash etc your camera,
    they will "repair" (replace) for a fee that can be quite a bit less than the retail price.

I recall a €219 cameras fixed charge being about €140.

Go to a shop thats a main dealer for the brand you have.

Would not recommend opening the unit yourself, my understanding is that to do that without messing it up you need a clean room.

Oh yeah that freezer idea is b****x, no offense!

• Advertisement
Advertisement