Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse in Aug

Options
  • 13-09-2007 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hey,

I was posting on the archaeology forum when I saw this, made me think of early August.

Anyone see that eclipse of the sun/moon? I was with my other half after dinner out and it just rose out of the sea, gorgeous!!! As to not make an egit out of myself was it a lunar or solar eclipse ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Hey,

I was posting on the archaeology forum when I saw this, made me think of early August.

Anyone see that eclipse of the sun/moon? I was with my other half after dinner out and it just rose out of the sea, gorgeous!!! As to not make an egit out of myself was it a lunar or solar eclipse ?

It was a lunar eclipse late august 28th. A solar eclipse is the moon eclipsing the sun and a lunar eclipse is the earth eclipsing the moon.

Basically a solar eclipse is where the moon blocks the light from the sun which casts a shadow on the earth and a lunar eclipse is where the earth blocks the light from sun which leaves the moon in the shadow of the earth

Which reminds me the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" was released on the 7th;

http://www.apple.com/trailers/thinkfilm/intheshadowofthemoon/trailer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

slade_x wrote:
    It was a lunar eclipse late august 28th. A solar eclipse is the moon eclipsing the sun and a lunar eclipse is the earth eclipsing the moon.

Basically a solar eclipse is where the moon blocks the light from the sun which casts a shadow on the earth and a lunar eclipse is where the earth blocks the light from sun which leaves the moon in the shadow of the earth

Which reminds me the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon" was released on the 7th;

http://www.apple.com/trailers/thinkfilm/intheshadowofthemoon/trailer/

Nonono, this was the first Thurs in August (I remember because I got my monthly wages that week :)

It was sooo gorgeous....we were sitting down relaxing and all of a sudden this huge bright orange globe rose out of the horizon... The whole thing lasted about 40 minutes.

Advertisement