Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

politicans record

Options
  • 13-09-2007 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

How come we don't have reviews of politicans time in office, ie. attendance in the dail record on votes cast in the dail, full disclosure on expences. I think that when a politican is looking to be re-elected he should be made disclose all records of expences while he was in office and a record of his dail sessions, questions brought up votes cast, and attendance. Is this information available. I am sick of the crap we get posted in the letter boxes at the time of election listing only broad statements of policy. I even had one give the summer GAA fixtures on a leaflet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It certainly is available.
    I don't know if it's available online but every year the Indo does a league table on stuff like this.

You could always just ask them when they show up at your door. Not sure will you get a straight answer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

This is just lazy political cynicism. The information could be researched by any interested citizen and, as has been pointed out above, is regularly published.

The income of TDs and Senators often comes in for criticism but it is never made clear why they are singled out for attention, when others who have far greater pay - in both the private and public sectors - are ignored, e.g. the head of the HSE is paid 450K plus!

The important point about politicians is their policy position and this is usually expressed very clearly by their party. No one is in the slightest doubt about what they are voting for. After the event many try to wriggle off the moral hook by feigning ignorance.

Moreover, all politicians are not the same and it is lazy, unfair and cynical to pretend that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My old constituency, Windsor and Maidenhead, had an MP called Dr Alan Glynn. He apparantly held the record for most number of sessons attended without actually saying anything.

He was an MP for about 16 years, turned up at westminster religiously yet never actually said anything, so the records the OP is after may not actually reveal much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just because they don't say anything means sweet f'all. They still vote, and often will converse with Ministers via letter, outside the Dail.
    That's why TDs that aren't seeking re-election have low speaking times - it's far more efficient to get answers outside the Dail. Questions are only asked in the Dail in order to get attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

There's an old problem sneaking in here. We elect parliamentarians who - whatever about getting speaking time in the chamber - should be dealing in political controversy. Some of the messenger boys and girls who do "constituency work" need to be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

in england there is the theyworkforyou site which does as you suggest, created by the mysociety people in ireland someone has started something similar at the ratemytd site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Just because they don't say anything means sweet f'all. They still vote, and often will converse with Ministers via letter, outside the Dail.
    That's why TDs that aren't seeking re-election have low speaking times - it's far more efficient to get answers outside the Dail. Questions are only asked in the Dail in order to get attention.

Yeah, you are right, I was over simplifying it.

Dr Alan Glynn voted with the government on pretty much every single vote, if you wanted to vote for a tory lap dog, then he was the perfect person to vote for.

Advertisement