Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Grants For Masters Students

• 13-09-2007 7:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello,
    After considering what I wish to know, I appear to have 6 questions.

I would love to hear from someone who can answer these questions regarding full time postgraduate courses.

Do masters students get third level grants towards living expenses the same way that they can (subject to means test) obtain grants for primary degrees?

Do some masters courses qualify and some not qualify for this ?
    If so , how can I find out which qualify and which dont?

How much would any available grant be for ?

4, Do MBA courses qualify ?

5, Do postgraduate diplomas qualify ?

6, Do 2 year full time masters programmes qualify ?

Comments

sign wrote:
    Hello,

Hi!
    After considering what I wish to know, I appear to have 6 questions.

I would love to hear from someone who can answer these questions regarding full time postgraduate courses.

Do masters students get third level grants towards living expenses the same way that they can (subject to means test) obtain grants for primary degrees?

Yes, postgraduate students can apply and receive grants similar to how undergraduate students can apply and receive grants. The procedure is similar.

Do some masters courses qualify and some not qualify for this ?
    If so , how can I find out which qualify and which dont?

There are two general rules: 1) if you're doing a masters in a private college, you won't be able to apply for a grant. 2) if you're doing a full-time course, you are able to apply, but part-time courses aren't covered. However, it might be worth looking into tax relief - see my signature for more links.

How much would any available grant be for ?

Maximum would be for €6,600, with your tuition fees paid on top of that. Check the citizensinformation.ie link in my signature - they have the income limits in this. I'll be nice and not link to my own site.
    4, Do MBA courses qualify ?

5, Do postgraduate diplomas qualify ?

6, Do 2 year full time masters programmes qualify ?

Yes, yes, yes - if they're full-time, and not in a private college (as I said, general rule). At the end of this (.DOC) document, there is a full list of courses/colleges which are eligible for the grant. But the best thing to do would be to contact the college you're in/looking to be in yourself to check. They will probably have a grants/fees office who would have experience with grants.

As for looking for more information on how to apply, get in contact with your local authority and they'll give you a run down. And again, for basic information check out my sig.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

So helpful!

My friend wanted to know for her postgrad, and I was like "I'll find out on boards!". Genius!

Advertisement