Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bale as Snake?

Options
  • 13-09-2007 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

Kotaku reports that PS3Forums reports that Nuts has an interview with Bale, in which he reveals he is in the running to play Solid Snake in the upcoming Metal Gear movie, currently slated for 2009.

If true, I think it would be excellent. Would Bale really be up for another franchise though, after Batman?

I also wonder who will end up in the director's chair. Kojima is undoubtedly keen, but would hardly be trusted to helm a Hollywood blockbuster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Sounds promising, Bale rarely chooses bad movies tbh.

He'll do a franchise if the dollars are right and it turns out to be a good/hit movie. What's the plot based on? Is it taken fromone of the games or is it a new story arc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well if this is true I hope its based on the first one,and liquid snake is in it and your man james sumthing that does his voice in the games plays him in real life,liquid is one of my fav villians of all time :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Bale would definetly be perfect, no doubt about that. As to whether he's up for another franchise, even if he's not interested in doing sequels, to have a Metal Gear film with him in it would be great.
    I also wonder who will end up in the director's chair. Kojima is undoubtedly keen, but would hardly be trusted to helm a Hollywood blockbuster.

I'd say the most obvious choice would be Ryuhei Kitamura, seeing as he's already worked on The Twin Snakes, and is currently directing an American movie, so I'd say having worke with Kojima gives him a good shoe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't think the Twin Snakes direction was well received by fans though, and what's more I don't think his style of direction would really suit the source material.

The last I heard, they were basing the plot on that of Metal Gear Solid 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As long as he can say certain key phrases with conviction i'm happy. "LIQUID", "MERYL", "COLONEL" and "METAL GEAR".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The last I heard, they were basing the plot on that of Metal Gear Solid 1...

Yes! thats good to hear :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't think the Twin Snakes direction was well received by fans though, and what's more I don't think his style of direction would really suit the source material.

Well Twin Snakes was directed by Kojima himself, Kitamura worked on motion capture.

What I'm saying is, the fact that he's a director who's worked on one of the games gives him an advantage, and as far as I know, both Kojima and Kitamura are good friends, so it's quite a big advantage. And if Hollywood doesn't have faith in Kojima as a director, then someone who's not only much more established, but is also directing a current US production, seems like someone to be put forward. He just makes sense from that perspective.

Did you know Hideo Kojima had a cameo in Azumi?

I wouldn't knock Kitamura though, if you're refering to the OTT action of some of his films, and worried a Metal Gear film would suffer from such action, I think it all depends on what's in the script.

But who would you consider a possible director?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well if this is true I hope its based on the first one,and liquid snake is in it and your man james sumthing that does his voice in the games plays him in real life,liquid is one of my fav villians of all time :cool:

are you for real? the voice actor is cam clark aka james flinders,hes done countless anime and video games as he has a real distinctive voice but he cant act for ****, he played kaneda in the english dub of akira and leonardo in the ninja turtles cartoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

sprinkles wrote:
    Sounds promising, Bale rarely chooses bad movies tbh.

Apart from Equilibrium

krudler wrote:
    are you for real? the voice actor is cam clark aka james flinders,hes done countless anime and video games as he has a real distinctive voice but he cant act for ****, he played kaneda in the english dub of akira and leonardo in the ninja turtles cartoon

ya flinders thats his second name,could'nt think of it,well i've never seen him act so I cant comment on that,he has a real cool voice though.bad actor you say?Thats Nothing a few acting classes would'nt sort im sure :P ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

MOH wrote:
    Apart from Equilibrium
    I liked Equilibrium.

Bale is one of my favourite actors so to see him doing this would be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Christian Bale + Metal Gear = Win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Twin Snakes was directed by Kojima himself, Kitamura worked on motion capture.

What I'm saying is, the fact that he's a director who's worked on one of the games gives him an advantage, and as far as I know, both Kojima and Kitamura are good friends, so it's quite a big advantage. And if Hollywood doesn't have faith in Kojima as a director, then someone who's not only much more established, but is also directing a current US production, seems like someone to be put forward. He just makes sense from that perspective.

Did you know Hideo Kojima had a cameo in Azumi?

I wouldn't knock Kitamura though, if you're refering to the OTT action of some of his films, and worried a Metal Gear film would suffer from such action, I think it all depends on what's in the script.

But who would you consider a possible director?

He definitely wouldn't be my choice. I thought the cutscenes other than the ones involving the ninja in twin snakes were ridiculous and ruined that game for me. Also the only film I've seen by Kitamura was versus which I found to be a big heap of arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

MOH wrote:
    Apart from Equilibrium

Quality movie.

I think Bale could do justice to the role. A stealth/action film like this needs a big performance from the lead, Bale never disappoints (regardless of whether you like the movie or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So the general consensus appears to be that Bale is the perfect choice for the role.

So who would people like to see as Gray Fox and Liquid? Can't really think of anyone myself. The Liquid will have to be a similar age to Bale i guess.

Why not have Bale play both Solid and Liquid. They are meant to be identical afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

MOH wrote:
    Apart from Equilibrium

Equilibrium was a kick ass movie, I wanna be a Grammaton Cleric when I grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

David Hayter for Snake... YES!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Holsten wrote:
    David Hayter for Snake... YES!

He looks nothing like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ed Norton should be in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Retr0gamer wrote:

I think he's pretty close, besides, he'd deffo have the voice down... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Liquid is clearly Val Kilmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Christian Bale is.........Solid Snake- has a ring to it!

Other choices has to be Viggo Morressien and Christain Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is Bale not a bit too young :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Retr0gamer wrote:

You're such a David ha(y)ter....

*cough*

Christian Bale would be a fantastic choice in my opinion, although, correct me if I'm wrong fanboys, Snake (based on MGS 1) seems to be a more shallow part than Bale is used to playing. He might be wasted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

film's based on games are a bad idea, the story in your average game is just too flimsy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Bale has to be one of the most universally liked, well respected and talented actors around at the moment. Hes certainly one of my favourites. There arent many parts that I couldnt imagine him playing...

I would have loved to see him in 'I Am Legend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

MooseJam wrote:
    film's based on games are a bad idea, the story in your average game is just too flimsy

well .. good thing Metal Gear Solid wasn't an average game :p
    I think it wouldn't be too difficult to produce a quality screenplay off the storyline from MGS1, obviously making a few adjustments to give it a more realistic and less videogamey edge.
    And yes, whoever suggested Val Kilmer is a genius, he would be so good as Liquid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Christian Bale is a good choice, he's no Kurt Russell though, that would be perfection, things coming full circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

To play an older Snake, I think David Carradine would be good. But Koneko's choice is the perfect match.

Advertisement