Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows

Options
  • 13-09-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Have left north Co. Cork.

Seems a bit early this year, do they know something we don't ??? or have they had enough of our Irish summer.

Bon Voyage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm inclined to think you are just not seeing them as they are plentiful here in North Louth (as of last evening anyway!) and I see them throught eh county and in Meath and Down also. I doesn't make sense that they would depart Cork first. It just doesn't work that way. The migration begins in the more Northerly areas first.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Very active and gathering together on overhead cables last week, last seen on Tuesday evening, no sign of them either Wednesday or this morning, couldn't help but see and hear them if they were around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was over on Anglesey last week and there were plenty of swallows around there, although they were gathering on overhead cables and on rooftops in large numbers looking as of they were getting ready to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Saw lovely flock of housemartins around sallins at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Have also left Cork City.

No sightings today, were around yesterday.

• Advertisement

I'm in Cavan at the moment and there are good numbers here. Saw plenty as I passed through county Monaghan earlier this morning. The birds you were familiar with in Cork may well have moved to flock in another area where late hatches of flies are more abundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seniors Eyes

There's a lot less of them around my part of north dublin at the moment - maybe some have mad a head start?
    Seems to be plenty back home in Cavan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

A good few still in Edenderry this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They're gone from my shed in Kerry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I was watching some lining up on the wires in the fileds in my place (Castleknock) today. Guess they'll be off soon so. It was damn cold at dawn this morning - wont bel ong before the first frost hits so they'll want to be gone before then

• Advertisement

Still plenty in Louth today

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

Well, the few families of swallows whop have decided to take over my unboarded up balcony are still here anyways, active as ever. Is now or thereabouts the time that they usually leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Still quite a few up in North Cork as of yesterday, they usually leave about the first week in October I find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm working on a dig near Islandbridge (Clancy Barracks) at the moment. Up to last week we had hundreds of swallows and martens around the buildings but they all appear to have left over the weekend.

Over 200 flying through the bog here in North Louth last night. No sign of them leaving yet, which is not unusual. They normally don't leave until at leat the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

A few familys of them here in Malow(north Cork) over the summer.. left last week. There is a trend here, seems they left north cork a bit earlier this year.. hope we are not in for a bad october....

Now gone from here!

Advertisement