Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Limos in Bus Lanes

Options
  • 13-09-2007 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Source
    Councillor outraged by limo plan for Dublin bus lanes

Thursday September 13 2007

A Labour councillor in Dublin has expressed outrage at plans to allow limousines use the city's bus lanes.

The Taxi Regulator wants the Department of Transport to allow the stretch vehicles drive down lanes currently reserved for buses and taxis.

The city council's transport committee meets this afternoon to discuss the idea and pass on its views.

Labour's Andrew Montague says he will be expressing strong opposition to the move, saying bus lanes should be used to keep the city moving, not to facilitate people taking up road space in massive limousines.

Bad idea I think! Cue the high-fliers buying their way into bus lanes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The majority of people I see using limos are groups of skangers on their way to nights out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'd cringe at the sight of this thing being allowed down a bus lane:

sideview_p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Personally I don;t agree with allowing taxis use bus lanes.

I commute too work every morning with my wife, and we have our little one in the car with us. The 3 of us have to sit in traffic, yet a single passenger in a taxi is allowed to get to their destination quicker to me?? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mneh. Never.

Every CEO in the country will be getting a Limo, that is if they don't already have one. Next will be the senior managers. Then middle managers. Until the bus lane is just another normal lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Drax wrote:
    Source

High-fliers. Buying their way into bus lanes. Bloody hell, how much is a bus ticket these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it seats more than 9 passengers and has a PSV plate (needed for private hire), it's technically a minibus so it can already use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't most hire limos already run with hackney plates? Or is it a special kind of plate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

micmclo wrote:
    The majority of people I see using limos are groups of skangers on their way to nights out

Yup, you beat me to it. you dont see people with money in a stretch limo in this country. They are the preserve of those with a a small bit of money but sod all class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Drax wrote:

You mean like Michael O'Leary started doing years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

FX Meister wrote:
    You mean like Michael O'Leary started doing years ago?
    O' Leary was trying to deliver cut price taxi fares to the masses!
    Sure look at al the taxi reform we have had. We should thank God for Michael, oderwise this cuntry wood be in an awful shhtate altugether!

And those cnuts in their limos can get the funk out of the bus lane I paid for. This is gettin like russia when all the oligarch's were going round with sirens on the cars cuttin up traffic.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE COMPLAIN ABOUT U.S RE-ELECTING GEORGE, BUT WE GO AHEAD AND RE-ELECT BERTIE.
    WE DESERVE EVERY STUPID PIECE OF LEGISLATION THEY CAN SLING AT US DUMB FUNKS. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

prospect wrote:

I commute too work every morning with my wife, and we have our little one in the car with us. The 3 of us have to sit in traffic, yet a single passenger in a taxi is allowed to get to their destination quicker to me?? Makes no sense.

I agree with it when there is a passenger in one. Keeps the fare nice and low. Edit: Did I say Nice and low? Sorry I meant keeps the fare on the just about doable side of extortionate.

What I don't agree is with the taxi driver's wife driving up it on a Saturday with the three kids in the back and a bootful of shopping.

If a taxi is in the bus lane then it should have a passenger in the car with the meter running. Otherwise a large fine and the potential of losing the taxi license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I like the way they do it in the States - the carpool lanes (buslane or extra lane with diamond symbols). Fine for cars with 2+ people (or 3+ in certain places) and with a phone number displayed to report anyone using it who shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE COMPLAIN ABOUT U.S RE-ELECTING GEORGE, BUT WE GO AHEAD AND RE-ELECT BERTIE.
    WE DESERVE EVERY STUPID PIECE OF LEGISLATION THEY CAN SLING AT US DUMB FUNKS. :mad:

Hehe, nice rant Tea Drinker, all I can say is amen brother, agree 100%

I really don't give a funk if they allow it..limo owners can already get a hackney license if they really to drive in the bus lanes. The real rich people with limo's are probably already doing this. The rest are probably just skangers on a night out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know it was the taxi regulator proposing this, but if anyone should be allowed use bus lanes then motorcyclists should be at the top of the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i've never seen a motorcyclist stopped for using a bus lane. seen them drive past gardai stopping cars for the same offense, doesn't seem to bother a lot of gardai.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats because generally Gardai have a bit of common sense. However, it does happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A lot of you are missing the point lads. Just because a vehicle is 'stretched', that does not automatically make it a limousine in the legal sense. Any of us can go out a buy one but unless we have the correct plate and licence, it ain't a limmo.
    seamus wrote:
    Don't most hire limos already run with hackney plates? Or is it a special kind of plate?
    Special plate seamus - it's a small, usually white oval one with LM on it and usually attached to the registration plate. ;)

Limousine

A limousine is a vehicle which is evidently suited by its style and condition for the provision of hire services for ceremonial occasions, or for corporate or other prestige purposes. It is also a vehicle which has an engine capacity of at least 1900 cubic centimetres, save in the case of a vehicle which was constructed more than thirty years prior to the date of the application for a limousine licence.

On the granting of a limousine licence, the licensing authority is obliged by Regulations to issue a sign to the owner of a limousine. It is specified that a limousine sign be in the form of an ellipse, be either white, grey or silver in colour and shall display the letters “LM”, the number of the limousine licence and the name of the licensing authority or a letter(s) identification for that name in black letters. It is also required that the limousine sign be securely affixed, at all times, to the rear of the limousine on the outside, in respect of which it was issued, in such a manner that it does not obscure the view of the driver, the vehicle licence number or the vehicle lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

prospect wrote:

Taxis have to use bus lanes - how else would 1)they see a fare safely 2) could they pick up a fare safely. you couldnt have pedestrians crossing a bus lane to get into a taxi. Thats why they are allowed use a with-flow bus lane.
    Hacknies werent allowed use bus lanes as they werent allowed pick up a fare on the street anyway.
    Dont know why limos can use bus lanes. The yummy mummies will be selling their SUV's for limos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

cazzy wrote:
    Taxis have to use bus lanes - how else would 1)they see a fare safely 2) could they pick up a fare safely. you couldnt have pedestrians crossing a bus lane to get into a taxi. Thats why they are allowed use a with-flow bus lane.

a taxi in a bus lane stopping to pick up a fare is not usually doing it safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

a taxi in a bus lane stopping to pick up a fare is not usually doing it safely.

Ah come on, hazard lights mean you can do anything.
    I seen posters here call them "park anywhere lights" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Wishbone, you no longer have to display the LM plate. I've just done my S as a limo, it's got a yellow sticker front and back and that's it. You keep your licence and PSV badge in the centre console and that's it. Of course I'm going to jump up and down and say yayyyy let limo's drive in the bus lane, but also turn it into a carpool lane, motorcyclist lane. Most of the limo drivers I know have their taxi sign in the boot and politely ask the client in the back if they'd mind if the taxi sign went on, especially if they're on an airport run, use the taxi lanes, then for the money they're paying just use the tunnel.

And there's limos and STRETCH limos.

One is a car with a certain prestige attached to it (S Class, 7 Series, A8, Rolls, Bentley, Lincoln) there's always bottles of water in the back and the morning's newspapers.

The other is for yer average joe trying to buy a bit of class in a hummer bus with a drinks cabinet.

Now I only got my car classed as a limo last week, still haven't done a job yet, although I've been busy with other things so haven't had time.

nialler wrote:
    Wishbone, you no longer have to display the LM plate
    Oops :o I thought that they had got scarce lately!
    nialler wrote:
    One is a car with a certain prestige attached to it (S Class, 7 Series, A8, Rolls, Bentley, Lincoln) there's always bottles of water in the back and the morning's newspapers.
    Audi A8L for me :D
    nialler wrote:
    Now I only got my car classed as a limo last week, still haven't done a job yet, although I've been busy with other things so haven't had time.
    Best of luck with it nialler. :)

thanks man, it's a backup in case the oul biz falls on it's arse, plus it's nice to dress up in a suit now and then (and the €1300 tax saving doesn't hurt either) but me bro in law does it, 2 mates taxi and the 2 lads that I did a bit of work for during the ryder are dead sound they just want to know how I'm fixed when running 2 businesses in effect.

[edit] and I'm right there with ya with the A8 (4.2) always dreamed of one, never thought I'd ever own one, and look what I ended up with (a f00kin S class) which is nice don't know anyone with an A8. Although the 7 series (bond version) was always a looker aswell but very dated inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Audi A8L for me :D

You upgraded to an A8? Post about it. Pictures are obligatory :)

nialler wrote:
    and the €1300 tax saving doesn't hurt either
    Not like my €1109 :D
    nialler wrote:
    I'm right there with ya with the A8 (4.2) always dreamed of one, never thought I'd ever own one, and look what I ended up with (a f00kin S class) which is nice don't know anyone with an A8.
    There were loads around a few years ago when we had Presidency of the EU. I see an odd one in the limmo park in Dublin Airport. The Crysler 300C's seem to be taking over though!

If I won the Lotto......

AudiA8L-1.jpg

AudiA8L.jpg

AudiS8-1.jpg

AudiS807G1122.jpg

unkel wrote:
    You upgraded to an A8? Post about it. Pictures are obligatory :)
    Yea, I wish!

TDI? shame on you even the S class cdi sounds like a tractor on takeoff can't imagine the audi would be much better, there was a 05 4.2 parked outside tesco in sandymount a few months ago, I just looked inside and drooled, stood outside and drooled, muscular looking car. I'd be happy with an S4 but my sights sadly are now firmly fixed on a CL500 (which I drove last week, sound of that V8 my god) or CL55 (not a f*ckin chance) then again if I was offered an S6/8 I'd dive on it.

[edit] just thinking there, bro in law too my 3.2 petrol home the other day, I followed in the 3.2 diesel and he told me to floor it once we went around the finglas roundabout onto the N2, fairly well matched when flooring it bit noisier in the diesel but once you settled *back* to 120kph the diesal ran at around 2200rpm where my petrol would be close to 3200rpm so less fuel consumption and less stress on the engine. Noisey fecker though. Wood and leather steering wheel though, I WANT one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

nialler wrote:
    Wishbone, you no longer have to display the LM plate. I've just done my S as a limo, it's got a yellow sticker front and back and that's it. You keep your licence and PSV badge in the centre console and that's it. Of course I'm going to jump up and down and say yayyyy let limo's drive in the bus lane, but also turn it into a carpool lane, motorcyclist lane. Most of the limo drivers I know have their taxi sign in the boot and politely ask the client in the back if they'd mind if the taxi sign went on, especially if they're on an airport run, use the taxi lanes, then for the money they're paying just use the tunnel.

And there's limos and STRETCH limos.

The other is for yer average joe trying to buy a bit of class in a hummer bus with a drinks cabinet.

No longer legal to have a limo/taxi as there is now only 1 license 1 vehicle. Its either a taxi or a limo not a hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

ballooba wrote: »
    Mneh. Never.

Every CEO in the country will be getting a Limo, that is if they don't already have one. Next will be the senior managers. Then middle managers. Until the bus lane is just another normal lane.

what nonsense, no need to go over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

O' Leary was trying to deliver cut price taxi fares to the masses!
    Sure look at al the taxi reform we have had. We should thank God for Michael, oderwise this cuntry wood be in an awful shhtate altugether!

And those cnuts in their limos can get the funk out of the bus lane I paid for. This is gettin like russia when all the oligarch's were going round with sirens on the cars cuttin up traffic.

Agree 100%!

As for limos in buslanes, could'nt care either way. I can't see why a person without a car deserves to get to work quicker then one with a car. Of course the sensationalism aspect of a hummer in a buslane gets everyone up in arms, when in reality it would be a few S-classes and 300C's taking people from the airport.

@Kbannon, agree on motorcyclists being allowed to use buslanes.

Advertisement