Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of address on FAC

Options
  • 13-09-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I currently have my shotgun licensed to my parent's house (where obviously I used to live!) I now live in an apartment in Goatstown.

What is the procedure for transferring my firearm certificate to a new address? It will also be a different Garda station, i.e., when living with my parents, the local station was Rathcoole, and now that I'm living in Goatstown, the station would be Dundrum.

Also, I live in an apartment, (own it, not renting) will this have any effect on applications?

And finally, If I transfer address, I will obviously need a safe, the one I currently have in my parents would suffice, but I've a funny feeling
    her-in-doors won't like the colour, any restrictions on repainting it??

Cheers in advance for all the help lads!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pampers wrote:
    I currently have my shotgun licensed to my parent's house (where obviously I used to live!) I now live in an apartment in Goatstown.

What is the procedure for transferring my firearm certificate to a new address? It will also be a different Garda station, i.e., when living with my parents, the local station was Rathcoole, and now that I'm living in Goatstown, the station would be Dundrum.

Also, I live in an apartment, (own it, not renting) will this have any effect on applications?

And finally, If I transfer address, I will obviously need a safe, the one I currently have in my parents would suffice, but I've a funny feeling
    her-in-doors won't like the colour, any restrictions on repainting it??

Cheers in advance for all the help lads!:D

Inform the Gardai in your (new) local, and they should transfer it for you. No problems painting a safe so long as you don't use acid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rrpc wrote:
    Inform the Gardai in your (new) local, and they should transfer it for you.
    This is something that I've wondered about occasionally for some time now: what's the story if someone with something 'scary' (pistol, fullbore rifle in 'military' calibre, whatever) moves to an area with an 'anti' Superintendent?
    It must have happened to someone somewhere by now, does anyone know of such a case and if there were any difficulties with the paperwork or FAC renewal?

Or is it a bit like some years ago when married Church of England clergy 'defected' to Roman Catholicism and became Roman Catholic Priests, but were allowed remain married?
    ie. if you had it before the move you can keep it, but don't come looking for another one :D

Rovi wrote:
    This is something that I've wondered about occasionally for some time now: what's the story if someone with something 'scary' (pistol, fullbore rifle in 'military' calibre, whatever) moves to an area with an 'anti' Superintendent?
    It must have happened to someone somewhere by now, does anyone know of such a case and if there were any difficulties with the paperwork or FAC renewal?

It's something that has crossed my mind from time to time. I was in a similar situation some years ago and didn't move my firearms for a while (although I got a new one from my new local in the meantime :)). My new sergeant almost had a canary when I told him I had two other rifles "You can't have three rifles!". I held unto them and eventually wore him down to the point that he then transferred the other two.

But you can run into these situations, and after years of taming your locals you have to go through the whole thing all over again ;).

Of course you could move to a more 'understanding' district as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

people always seem to get the little lectures come time to pay the license fee's. when i went into the station to renew my licences, the guard took a look at them and said " a .22, that a very powerful rifle for a man to have in his house", with a frown.

yes clearly its very powerful... for a pea shooter!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

stevoman wrote:
    people always seem to get the little lectures come time to pay the license fee's. when i went into the station to renew my licences, the guard took a look at them and said " a .22, that a very powerful rifle for a man to have in his house", with a frown.

yes clearly its very powerful... for a pea shooter!

I had a new FAO take over this summer after many moon's of the old (damned promotion!). When I went in to renew his eyebrows nearly left his head:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I had a new FAO take over this summer after many moon's of the old (damned promotion!). When I went in to renew his eyebrows nearly left his head:D

Yes, but most of us don't have enough artilary to start a small war sydney!:D :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

pampers wrote:
    Yes, but most of us don't have enough artilary to start a small war sydney!:D :D;)

He knows that, He's just making sure he has enough to share :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Rovi wrote:

Hear, hear..... I will never move to Killarney while the current Super is in power as I have heard so many negative stories from people including one RFD.... That will be one of the things I will look at if I ever decide to move out of the district from where I am now.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Anyone know what the navan area super is like regards pistols?

Here's an idea: A map of Ireland with the districts on it and a colour code representing the kind of reception in each division.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

rrpc wrote:
    Here's an idea: A map of Ireland with the districts on it and a colour code representing the kind of reception in each division.
    Put a big skull and crossbones on the Kilkenny district.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

GilGrissom wrote:
    Put a big skull and crossbones on the Kilkenny district.
    +1

It would be the last place in Ireland I would move to with my guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

So any one any idea what Dundrum is like??
    I've just been salivating over a tikka t3 tactical!:D

Advertisement