Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Stan goes...

• 13-09-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Who would you realisticly want to replace him........

I honestly cant think of someone that would a) Want the job B) is good enough for the job c) that the fans would want

Dave O'Leary(maybe?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paul Jewell could be approached.

Hitzfeld :p

People can forget about their O'Neills or their Allardyces.

George Graham? At least we'd never concede.

Big Ron, but then again, Stephen Reid might never get a game.:D

Colin Warnock would be great.

Royston?

Stephen Kenny.

Pat Fenlon.

Roddy Collins.

Pat Dolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Aldridge

Souness

Jewell

Dalglish

DesF

O'Leary?!!? (am i really that desperate for Stan to get the bullet? i aint sure)

But...but...Souness hates Irish people.

And there's a reason Aldo has been not managing recectly, and has been doing Celebrity Singsong, or whatever.

Above O'Leary? WOOHOO!

yea but he wanted the Irish job, he'd take no **** from the FAI (probably a main reason he didnt get it in the first place), he has some experience, seemed fairly talented as a manager, would be more comfortable with the media etc etc, is scouse (:))and would be far far far far far far far better at the job than Stan.

isn't Souness married to an irish woman? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm going to go our on a limb here and say that I'd like to see a foreigner get the job.

There's something about the Irish mentality that gets to us when we're away from home, a goal up or favourites.

A foreigner with a reasonable amount of experience, some history of success and some English.

I don't know their names but there's a lot of international managers that have gone to continents like Asia and Africa and overachieved with mediocre teams. Any one of those please.

• Advertisement

yea but he wanted the Irish job, he'd take no **** from the FAI (probably a main reason he didnt get it in the first place), he has some experience, seemed fairly talented as a manager, would be more comfortable with the media etc etc, is scouse (:))and would be far far far far far far far better at the job than Stan.

isn't Souness married to an irish woman? :)
    I was being fecetious about his Anti-Irishness, of course he isn't.

Talented manager. Newcastle?

My Granny would do a better job than Stan.

i was talking about Aldridge, but yea i think Souness is a decent enough manager, definately good enough to manage us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

DesF wrote:
    Big Ron, but then again, Stephen Reid might never get a game.:D

Lol!

I like that Paul Jewell idea. Doubt he would take it really, but he's probably the best I've heard in this thread. Wouldn't be overly happy if Souness got the job.

Beenhakker?

Is he in a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would be delighted if Souness got the job. Ditto Jewell. Ditto O' Leary.

They are people capable of doing the job that are available at the moment. So the old chestnut that we can't get rid of Stan because there is nothing else there seems like rubbish to me.

Additionally, it is preferable to remove Staunton immediately. As it would be better for a new manager to assess players in full internationals as opposed to meaningless friendlies before September 2008 (which is has now become the next target :( ). Accepting that the remaining three group games are largely irrelevant now - they are still waaaaaayyyy better in terms of acclimatisation and preperation for a new manager than friendly matches.

Edit to Add: ALDRIGE SHOULD NOT BE A ****ING OPTION. OUT OF WORK FOR 6 YEARS. END OF.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gosplan wrote:
    I'm going to go our on a limb here and say that I'd like to see a foreigner get the job.

There's something about the Irish mentality that gets to us when we're away from home, a goal up or favourites.

A foreigner with a reasonable amount of experience, some history of success and some English.

I don't know their names but there's a lot of international managers that have gone to continents like Asia and Africa and overachieved with mediocre teams. Any one of those please.
    Bora Mulitonovic (sp?) or Otto Raehaegal (sp again?).

Yuck.

5starpool wrote:
    Bora Mulitonovic (sp?) or Otto Raehaegal (sp again?).
    Good Lord No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Paul Jewell please

Good chap, good manager

We could all throw a euro into the pot and get a Gus Hiddink ;)

Paul Jewell would be the best realistic choice.

Wouldnt like Souness in charge, don't like the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Could never see souness managing Ireland, he has been around along time and never won anything credible bar the Scottish League of which there is only 2 teams that can realisticly win, he completed made a balls of liverpool and was the begin of the end for them,

Choice between Aldridge and Staunton and i'd pick Aldridge everytime.
    So if no one else wants the job, give it to Aldo.

Hardly reckon he's forgotten how to pick a team/motivate/make sus etc in 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

anyone for a slice of Denis Wise?

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

How would people feel if Kevin Keegan was interested in the job??

How would people feel if Kevin Keegan was interested in the job??
    I can think of a lot worse suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Glen Hoddle knew how to put a shape on a side. I wouldnt mind him

Jaques Santini won it all with France, he would be a decent option

David O Leary has bags of Premiership exxperience, but Villa didnt work out well

Roy Keane is just a little bit inexperienced, but face it, he is far more experienced than Staunton

Het-Field wrote:
    Roy Keane is just a little bit inexperienced, but face it, he is far more experienced than Staunton

Best man for the job by far, but he will never work for FAI, and they will never employ him works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

DesF wrote:
    Beenhakker?

Is he in a job?

I think he manages Poland now.

To be honest I think anybody would do better than Stan. When you see what the scots have managed it gets a bit depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What's John Gregory up to or Peter Reid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

so the sum of peoples ambition is unemployed english managers? :eek:

Aldo? 6 years where no-one would touch him and people suggest him as a credible manager? pathetic.

so the sum of peoples ambition is unemployed english managers? :eek:

Aldo? 6 years where no-one would touch him and people suggest him as a credible manager? pathetic.

so MrOhNoYouDidn't . . . . who would you recommend?

so MrOhNoYouDidn't . . . . who would you recommend?

pretty sure i only posted that once?

pretty sure i only posted that once?

Hiddink or Bechenhauer,

If they are unavailable Pat Scully or Stephen Kenny. Possibly John Robertson.

Not unemployable failures like Peter Reid

Pat Scully
    :D

Pat Scully?

Who'd take over at Rovers then?

• Advertisement

to be honest, your first two would never wanna take the job in the first place.

as for the Eircom League managers, tbh i'd prefer someone with some experience in a really top league, dealing with top players. in that documentary about Kerr he pretty admitted he had no idea how to handle premiership players. cant tailor the players around the manager so the manager will have to be tailored around the players. souness/o'leary/aldridge/keegan/jewell/dalglish would all be better suited for the job than an EL league manager imo.

First this
    as for the Eircom League managers, tbh i'd prefer someone with some experience in a really top league, dealing with top players.

Then this
    aldridge would...be better suited for the job than an EL league manager imo.

Er, what?

WTF has Aldridge done in a 'really top league'?

On in any league in the past SIX YEARS for that matter.

Apart from sing songs on the telly.

ok, shouldnt have included Aldridge, but he did well in England and in Cups against big teams, so he would have the players respect more so than EL managers imo.

plus he sings a mean version of Ring Of Fire as you pointed out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Me. I wouldn't mind the increase in salary.

George Graham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Paddy Mulligan on Newstalk now talking about this and the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dbnavan wrote:
    Could never see souness managing Ireland, he has been around along time and never won anything credible bar the Scottish League of which there is only 2 teams that can realisticly win, he completed made a balls of liverpool and was the begin of the end for them,

Dont forget his years in Turkey with Fenerbache where he's still looked on as a complete legend.

Id have him on my list anyway.
    Paul Jewell would be my number 1 though. Have a decent chance of getting him to since he wants a break from the game, would probably be happy to take the much smaller job of national management for 2 or 4 years rather then straight back into club management. Whenever the last thing i heard from him was he was still saying he wanted more time off and was ruling himself out of any of the going premiership jobs.

Also Paco Ayesteran! Just been let go by liverpool as the assistant but wants to remain in england since he's settled - snap him up! Would be great behind the scenes for getting things up to scratch as well as he's one of the worlds best fitness coachs.

• Advertisement

ha ha ha Pako! :)

Best candidate out there in terms of is currently unemployed....is Capello. But thatd be stretchin it big time.

Dalglish, Jewell, George Graham.

If we were stuck O'Leary....but u cant buy players in intn'l footy so thats him screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Troussier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm bemused by those slating the FAI and all they can do themselves is put forward the name of failed Premiership managers. :rolleyes:

My suggestion is the most talent player ever to appear for an FAI XI. Didn't have much success as a club manager, but has huge experience and even won two Serie A titles during his playing days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Zebra3 wrote:
    I'm bemused by those slating the FAI and all they can do themselves is put forward the name of failed Premiership managers. :rolleyes:

My suggestion is the most talent player ever to appear for an FAI XI. Didn't have much success as a club manager, but has huge experience and even won two Serie A titles during his playing days.

failed premiership manager is a whole lot better than a reserve team coach for a coca cola division one team, with no previous experience in top flight management and a whole lot better than any eircom league manager you would want in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ghost26ie wrote:
    failed premiership manager is a whole lot better than a reserve team coach for a coca cola division one team, with no previous experience in top flight management and a whole lot better than any eircom league manager you would want in.

And what has that got to do with my post? :confused:

ghost26ie wrote:
    failed premiership manager is a wholee lot better than any eircom league manager you would want in.

OLE OLE OLE OLE

How is that leprechaun suit?

Its that kind of anglo-centric attitude has us in this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

looking at the odds on Paddypower, there are not much to choose from.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SOCCER&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=115&ev_type_id=8810

would we be able to get Gerard Houllier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Zebra3 wrote:
    And what has that got to do with my post? :confused:

i was saying those people that others have suggested could do a good job with the national side, those who you consider are just failed premiership managers, would do a whole lot of a better job than Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Can the whole FAI and bring in Roy Keane.

Roy has passion that I think is sorely needed in the team.

Why accept third as many did going in to the qualifiers. Shoot for the top. the talent is there. The consistency isn't.

Roy Keanes managerial quality is only now being tested. and at the moment is falling seriously short.

next solution please.

Can the whole FAI and bring in Roy Keane.
    lol

What makes you think if the FAI went to Roy to 'bring him in' that he'd agree to it.

What are they to do? Kidnap him?

Why would he want to leave Sunderland after just a year in charge. Keane wants to prove himself in the PL, nothing else, at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

DesF wrote:
    What makes you think if the FAI went to Roy to 'bring him in' that he'd agree to it.
    I think he meant "Scrap the whole FAI...".

Eamon Dunphy is the only man for the job. At least he'd say the team were shite in the post-match interview :D.

Everyone who is getting on their high horse with regards to English managers needs to stfu. There is NO manager currently in the Eircom league who fits this position. I believe the job is potentially 5 years or so too soon for Kenny - who I think will develop into one of the best Irish managers ever as his career progresses.

But right now, names like Brady, Moran, Aldrige, Dolan, whoever the fcuk Eircom leaguer are non - runners. We are looking to take a step up from Staunton, not a step back.

Staunton was clearly unfit for the job because he had no experience managing at this level. To put it in a simpler fashion; he had no previous experience directing and motivating players at this level while also manipulating his options and devising a gameplan to cope with opposition at this level. It follows that EVERY SINGLE EIRCOM LEAGUE MANAGER IS EQUALLY UNFIT TO DO THE JOB AS THEY HAVE NOT HAD THE EXPOSURE TO TOP LEVEL FOOTBALL EITHER. Aldridge did some good stuff with Tranmere in cup competitions 6 - 8 years ago. He has never been given another chance. Either he interviews really bad, or he gets bad references - but the message is that something is seriously amiss with his canditure for any top or mid level football manageriel position.

This is reality. And if you don't like it I don't ****ing care. The most logical employee pool for the FAI to dip their hooks into is the English Premiership pool. Therefore, those are the types of names that will be bandied about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

what is going on with those Paddy Power odds?

Chris Hughton 9-1 Not a chance
    Don Givens 14-1 Is this a joke?
    Kevin Moran 33-1

Houllier is at 50-1

• Advertisement
Advertisement