Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Stan goes...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Its all going to work out fine. Hiddink will take Russia to the Euro 2008 finals (at Englands expense), probably win it, then he'll leave Russia, look for another underachieving country (Ireland) and help them to overachieve at the World Cup.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The public could manage the team. Rte could host a "your a star" type phone in show, where viewers decide who plays and the teams tactics. The rte panel with expert opinions could advice the public and maybe make a few of the hard to call tough decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ibid wrote:
    I think he meant "Scrap the whole FAI...".
    Heh, this I agree with.

But even if it did happen, what makes people think Keane would jump off the Sunderland ship after only a year in the job? It simply won't happen.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    There is NO manager currently in the Eircom league who fits this position.

Hmm, my mentions of any manager associated with the eL currently, or in the past were tongue in cheek. Dolan, Collins, Fenlon, even Kenny are non-runners as far as I'm concerned.

Why?
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    EVERY SINGLE EIRCOM LEAGUE MANAGER IS EQUALLY UNFIT TO DO THE JOB AS THEY HAVE NOT HAD THE EXPOSURE TO TOP LEVEL FOOTBALL EITHER.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    This is reality. And if you don't like it I don't ****ing care. The most logical employee pool for the FAI to dip their hooks into is the English Premiership pool. Therefore, those are the types of names that will be bandied about.

Or...other managers who have proven ability at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

We should ideally look abroad, for a manager who does not have any hooks in him already by the FAI, as we don't need a Yes-man, even if the FAI do. Money is the killer as last time round Paul le Guen asked for €1m per year and was told politely where to go. I'm not proposing him just saying that Stan was a cheap option, and now we know why. As regards names in the public domain I like George Graham (defensive abilities based around Given and "Staples" Dunne) and Otto Rehegal, who turned 'poor' individual Greek players into a great team. Guus Hiddink costs €4m a year so we have no chance there, unless the government introduce a soccer tax of €1 per annum per citizen, but I couldn't trust FF finances at present. In the end, the FAI flaws may ruin everything - John 'Dithering' Delaney does not inspire me as a man of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

I think the only realistic option and my preferred option is Paul Jewel. Judging by the statement of the FAI website though Stan is going no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

I think the only realistic option and my preferred option is Paul Jewel. Judging by the statement of the FAI website though Stan is going no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

we're never going to lure a big name manager unless either we offer the job as a part time position or some established name takes it as a semi retirement gig or even more improbable some multi-millionaire offers to donate to the cause and pay some big money.

what the FAI need to do is talent hunt, they need to go out and find an up and coming manager who's done good things on a tight budget and limited squad but who would also view the Ireland gig as a potential step up if successful. they need to start looking outside the old boys connections or the unemployed list, have a wander around the slightly weaker leagues of the continent (or the championship and below) to see who they can come up with, or as mentioned before managers who have overachieved with even weaker international teams. the only way we're gonna get a good manager is going to be similar to what Dein did with Arsenal when he plucked Wenger out of semi obscurity (although i doubt we can aim as high as Arsenal did). however, with Delany at the helm i really doubt the FAI even have the necessary skills to do this.

the fact of the matter is though, almost any realistic candidate really will be a potential risk... we're nearly always going to be the nation in transition as we just can't lure the decent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

David O'Leary would be my first choice.

Failing that I'd like to see Paul Jewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It would seem that Stan is going nowhere

I expect a peoples revolt for the Germany match, a proper one with signs been given out before the game.

If stan stays i WILL not support Ireland in the wcup qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If an article could make me bleed then this would.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0913/fai.html

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ron Atkinson is anti-Irish, so not him.

Anyone remember the game where the medics lifted the stretcher and walked off in opposite directions, dropping the player, and he goes, "That's something you'd expect at an Irish game."

He's a racist ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he aint racist, he is just old fashioned. doesnt know any different. calling him racist is just lazy and you not taking a second to think what generation he is coming from etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Scolari. At least when we don't win he'll punch some opposing player.

O'Leary (shiver) no thanks
    Jewell would be a good man
    Struggling to think of many more tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

DesF wrote:
    lol

What makes you think if the FAI went to Roy to 'bring him in' that he'd agree to it.

What are they to do? Kidnap him?

Why would he want to leave Sunderland after just a year in charge. Keane wants to prove himself in the PL, nothing else, at this stage of his career.

Hey Des, 'can' is Canadian for 'scrap', get rid of, dump, etc. They, the FA, are the only constant in the rash of poor performances and managerial hirings.

Maybe Kean-o won't leave Sunderland and wants that challenge.

Ireland does need however someone who brings passion to the side and who also can instill in th eplayers a necessity for playing your positions with discipline. I still can't figure out what O' Shea was doing so far over to the left side, I though he was playing right back, which allowed Slovakias tying goal to be scored from where coverage needed to be.

he aint racist, he is just old fashioned. doesnt know any different. calling him racist is just lazy and you not taking a second to think what generation he is coming from etc etc

?

So there's an excuse for racism now?

"I'm not racist, I'm just old."

• Advertisement

not an excuse. he doesn't need an excuse. he isn't racist.

not an excuse. he doesn't need an excuse. he isn't racist.

TV pundit Ron Atkinson sacked for racist remark: http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1200319,00.html
    He's what is known in some schools as a ****ing lazy thick ******.

again, in my opinion, and i understand that it'll be somewhat controversial, but i dont think that was him displaying racism, just the generation he grew up in. he didnt think Desailly was lazy because he was black, he just called him a name.

kinda like calling someone a son of a bitch, but not actually meaning to insult their mother.its just a product of the generation he is from.

if i aint mistaken, he was one of the first managers to give black players a break in England.

millersangel: I understand what you're trying to say, but I do think he is an actual racist, not just ignorant or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Why would Jewell want it?

He should be able to get a decent job with a midtable club in a year or so if he wants to come back.

Aldridge did well at Tranmere, he got them to play above themselves for a number of seasons just like a manager will have to do with this Irish team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its not much good discussing this if you saw Delaney on the 6 O'Clock news he said the FAI are happy with the progress made with the Irish team, so they aren't going to sack Stevie :(

Snake

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

dublindude wrote:
    millersangel: I understand what you're trying to say, but I do think he is an actual racist, not just ignorant or whatever.
    Quick, somebody tell Paul McGrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nollaig wrote:
    Why would Jewell want it?

He should be able to get a decent job with a midtable club in a year or so if he wants to come back.

Thats exactly the reason. IF he wants to come back. He's already said he's happy to have an extended break from the pressures of club management. Theres obviously a decent chance he might be happy to spend 2 or 4 years taking it easier with the Ireland job before going back to the full pressure in England. He's said that he really hated that last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah jewell would be a good choice.has anyone else noticed how few managers ireland have produced from the teams of late 80's early 90's.

Its not much good discussing this if you saw Delaney on the 6 O'Clock news he said the FAI are happy with the progress made with the Irish team, so they aren't going to sack Stevie :(

Snake

I know, totally shocking. They are not the kind of people you want managing an organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It could go two ways for Jewell though.

Team does shít, and his reputation is ruined, and he never gets a job again. Would he be willing to take that risk?

Or he could win the World Cup with us. :D:D

Advertisement